• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Why on earth would Square yank PC support for FF14? I don't think anybody is going to assume that. We're not talking about that at all.

Given how many posters here are discussing PC at all, let alone bringing up FF7's delay to EGS alone and 16 being a timed exclusive (and this doesn't even get to how Sony is still not really date-to-date with PC yet in general), yeah, a lot of people here are talking about that subject

if you don't think it'll happen, that's cool, I just don't think we have more to discuss on that and will have to wait and see what SE/Sony does

Last edited:

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Sometimes, companies do things not because of/to spite the competition, but to just enhance their own platform.

I really dont think MS bought Bethesda to go nah nah boo boo to Sony.
Why would a company want to enhance their own platform/service/product in a competitive market if not for being a preferable for the consumers? lol

Then again, I don´t think Sony needs this, especially with Final Fantasy.

Oct 29, 2017
Being a JRPG fan that prefers the Xbox ecosystem continues to be pure pain

Lol. It was just getting to the point last gen where things were evening out too. Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, Nier... everything big would hit Xbox even if you had to wait.

I wish they would just flat out tell us if FF7 Remake is never coming to Xbox so I could quit waiting. :)

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
In case people think that Nier diverting "some" attention from Final Fantasy would be impossible :

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Most KH games launched as console exclusives one way or another lol
Cross platform development wasn't all that simple (and clean) until the last few console gens. Square stuck with PS2 as their console of choice for their biggest titles, while on the handheld side there were never really many attempts at true cross-platform DS / PSP titles in the first place.

Even if the added market for KH on Xbox is minuscule, they'll probably still want that market around. If native ports on Switch were feasible it'd be there too.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
How much money would that even take? Ignoring Xbox, that means they can't put mainline or any FF on switch or switch 2 either.
Would that be a 100M deal, 500M deal, etc?
Mainline FF games sell little on xbox [look at ff15 launch], so probably not much $ was needed to secure timed exclusivity.

As for Switch, Square as admited time and time again that mainline FF is franchise that they use to push visuals to the max level. They make those games for latest and most powerful hardware [FF16 is nextgen only].

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I think the only thing that could "take attention away from FF16" (that isn't Kingdom Hearts or Dragon Quest) is some new Chrono game tbh

Mayyybe Tomb Raider?

Sep 14, 2018
There's no way it's not Chrono Cross, nothing else would have been shown off by now. And it's probably not another action game, that would basically be Forspoken.

Oct 27, 2017
Mainline FF games sell little on xbox [look at ff15 launch], so probably not much $ was needed to secure timed exclusivity.

As for Switch, Square as admited time and time again that mainline FF is franchise that they use to push visuals to the max level. They make those games for latest and most powerful hardware [FF16 is nextgen only].
I get that I just wonder about the $. I, imagine maybe it could be done for 50-100M? But for 5-6 years? I know Xbox versions didn't sell as much as the ps versions but I imagine they give square, in the west, like 200M+ If you add all of them up?

but then we don't know the details. Is it only new games that are exclusive? Does it include remasters going forward? (Like let's say FF13 trilogy gets a remaster) I would think Sony would want to totally lock down the IP if they're going to spend the money, or else why do it?

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
is chrono really that big to take attention away from Final Fantasy ? like isn't that a niche franchise or am i undererstimating it.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I get that I just wonder about the $. I, imagine maybe it could be done for 50-100M? But for 5-6 years? I know Xbox versions didn't sell as much as the ps versions but I imagine they give square, in the west, like 200M+ If you add all of them up?
They don't need to give that much. It's probably much less.

Those Xbox sales are not gone, just delayed. Also, Sony can instead of paying invest in heavy promotion of Square games. Direct payment can be minimal.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Mainline FF games sell little on xbox [look at ff15 launch]
XV launch doesn't suggest it sold little on Xbox at all. XV across PS4/Xbox in 2016 sold 5M in a day, 1.5M more than FF7R did on PS4 in 3 days on PS4 in 2020 during the pandemic. I doubt XV did so poorly on Xbox that the deal wouldn't have been expensive. More likely XV sales don't really factor much given Sony was already paying for FF7R years ago

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017

Those Xbox sales are not gone, just delayed. Also, Sony can instead of paying invest in heavy promotion of Square games. Direct payment can be minimal.

Lmao those Xbox sales are gone, the longer it's delayed the worse it is especially when square launches it at full price 3-5 years after release

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
is chrono really that big to take attention away from Final Fantasy ? like isn't that a niche franchise or am i undererstimating it.

Literally no one has ever heard of Chrono in the real world. Lightning is more well known and loved.

25685290d37b5985b1cd9e1a6607989fe0337914.gifv

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Hard to say how well a new Chrono game would do compared to, well, 1995... but Chrono Trigger is basically the most beloved JRPG in the history of JRPGs (though Chrono Cross frankly sucked and is best forgotten and I can't help but shake my heads at all the clamouring for a remake or remaster but that's me... lol).

I think an actual new Chrono game being announced would likely be a megaton and/or a potentially huge hit, personally. A Chrono Cross remaster, not so much, though.

Oct 27, 2017

well yeah but the rumor says for the gen tho? That's like until 2026 or 2027. They'd be "lost sales" tho I'm 100% confident PC sales of square games probably more than make up for this gap

to be clear tho I have all the consoles and would likely play FF in PS Devices anyway

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Gonna throw out a random guess that the big title that would divert attention from FF16 is the next SaGa game that follows up Scarlet Grace.

What if it's another Last Remnant style solid budget latest unreal tech game? Last Remnant was kinda a big deal at the time it came out with impressive visuals and we know Kawazu is working on a full new SaGa.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Makes sense for Sony and Square.

With Xbox now being the de facto WRPG machine, locking down JRPGs for an extended period of time and turning Playstation back to the JRPG machine makes a lot of sense.

Don't care about Square RPGs so doesn't impact me, but sucks for those that want to play them. They're a 3rd party. Not the same with Bethesda that wanted to be bought.

Bethesda execs wanted to be paid.

Square Enix execs want to be paid.

It's the same thing.

Sony paying for exclusivity or Sony paying to acquire SE doesn't make any difference.

Though, SE is probably going to be acquired by Sony at some point in the future anyway.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I mean how many other mainline Final Fantasy titles are we likely to even get this generation beyond XVI, which we already know is exclusive?

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
Can't say that this impacts my purchasing decisions all that much - not a huge FF fan as it currently stands. But I think Sony has made some very wise decisions when it comes to their exclusive arrangements with third party publishers.

I just hope Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic Remake comes to Xbox - I am excited to pick up a PS5 to play it, but it still feels ~wrong that the platform that hosted the original games exclusively wont be getting the title at launch.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
I dunno Chrono Trigger always striked as more of a cult classic rather than an actual big franchise in terms of sales especially compared to Final Fantasy, and that's mainly because Square Enix stopped at two entries.

At least imo it wouldn't make much sense compared to even Tomb Raider and Nier

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I'm not sure this really does much for Sony outside of Japan? It seems like it would be a waste of money, and a disservice to consumers.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Well they've certainly been trying with every recent installment for sure. IT's not like this is news.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is the rumor that it's already happened?

If it hasn't been signed would be funny (but not surprising) if SE low-key leaked the rumor to try to start a bidding war (Sony exclusive $ vs GamePass $)

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Sony would definitely benefit from this.

Square would get a nice bag for it from Sony, too. I'm not so sure that I would know enough about Xbox sales numbers in the past to understand if this would turn out net negative for Square in the long run.

That said, the consumers that do want to own and play FF games on other consoles would obviously be missing out. I've transitioned to valuing my Xbox library above all else under the perception that Microsoft will likely support that library through future hardware iterations. As someone who has converted to all-digital with this new generation >and< someone who has not historically kept old hardware, that's a big value perception for me. I would certainly hope by the close of this generation, Sony indicates some sort of long-term library support too -- not necessarily in the form of additional back compatibility with PS1-3 (though that would be very nice) but just at least saying "sure, PS4 and beyond will just exist as a supported library going forward from now on." In that scenario, they still lag behind Xbox on efforts like FPS Boost and resolution enhancements, though, which for the moment and on pure speculation maintains the Xbox advantage for me. This is all a bit tangential to the actual conversation at hand, I'm just saying it would be a shame for FF to be a "temporary" part of my catalogue, assuming no change from Sony in game preservation philosophy, aside from keeping my PS5 going forward, which gets cumbersome for me since I don't own a home and have floated my entire adult life from small apartment to apartment -- at least my library is all digital though so I don't have to carry a physical collection forward.

sanityislost

Oct 21, 2021
Totally fair with Bethesda being bought out by MS, so don't really see an issue with this. Would of liked to of seen SE being bought by Sony but that's never going to happen.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Don't really care about XVI and the other new 3D games since I would play them on PS5 anyway but I hope the Pixel Remasters arrive on Switch if they are ported to consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.