• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Why is this news? Didn't we already establish that Sony has spent/is spending about 300 million dollars on 3rd-party exclusives?

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the Japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFXVI, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and cancel the exclusivity deal for FFXVI on PS5 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
The Final Fantasy games were once strongly associated with Nintendo, as Square Enix released the first six games in the series exclusively on the NES and Super Nintendo systems. However, things changed when Sony introduced the PS1, with Square Enix jumping ship to release Final Fantasy games exclusively on PlayStation up until Final Fantasy 11 was released on PC and Final Fantasy 13 launched for Xbox 360.

Didn't FF7 come to PC?

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
With PS5 game sales cratering in Japan, that would be a very expensive deal for Sony to make. It might be the case in the short-term, but I doubt it will last long term.

Think Square cares more about international sales for FF than Japan at this point.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Are they even that big? Personably FFXVI isn't really much of a draw compared to stuff like Naughty Dog's games, Insomniac's games, Ghost of Tsushima, Gran Turismo…

I don't know, maybe I'm underestimating how popular the franchise is but I have a hard time many people would make a purchasing decision based on Final Fantasy.
FF7R was the "fastest selling PS4 exclusive".

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Think Square cares more about international sales for FF than Japan at this point.
Same with a ton of big Japanese publishers. Long term they want their big I.P franchises to have a global reach and success like MH Hunter World.

The traditional big AAA Japanese market is shrinking regardless of who is leading it in sales.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
FF7R was the "fastest selling PS4 exclusive".

Yeah, but that's a remake people were asking for for ages, and of one of the most acclaimed games of all time. I really, really doubt XVI is going to sell as well. Was XV one of the best selling games of the generation?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The Final Fantasy games were once strongly associated with Nintendo, as Square Enix released the first six games in the series exclusively on the NES and Super Nintendo systems. However, things changed when Sony introduced the PS1, with Square Enix jumping ship to release Final Fantasy games exclusively on PlayStation up until Final Fantasy 11 was released on PC and Final Fantasy 13 launched for Xbox 360.

Didn't FF7 come to PC?

VII and VIII both got PC ports by Eidos. They were not good ports.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Are they even that big? Personably FFXVI isn't really much of a draw compared to stuff like Naughty Dog's games, Insomniac's games, Ghost of Tsushima, Gran Turismo…

I don't know, maybe I'm underestimating how popular the franchise is but I have a hard time many people would make a purchasing decision based on Final Fantasy.

Well depends how you define popularity. FF is one of the biggest RPG IPs on the market and has one of the biggest MMOs on the market.

I usually base my purchase decision for consoles solely on it.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
What the fuck!

Is the a thread about an article on gamerant about an article on wccftech about a post on Resetera?

Resetera > Internet > Internet > Resetera

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
As a PS5 owner with no Xbox series console, I don't want this at all. Third party exclusives should end.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, but that's a remake people were asking for for ages, and of one of the most acclaimed games of all time. I really, really doubt XVI is going to sell as well. Was XV one of the best selling games of the generation?
Ok and they're further locking that down.
FFXV sold close to 10 million as of the last report

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Stranger of paradise is multiplatform
FF16 is coming to PC
FFVII Remake is on PC

????
PC is not counting, even 1st party Sony games are coming to PC.

According to this, Sony is just paying for maximum PlayStation promotion and game skipping Xbox. Almost certainly they won't even have to pay a lot since FF games sell little on Xbox. Even big Xbox promotions like Witcher 3 sold double on PlayStation, and situation is even worse for big PlayStation-oriented japanese games. There was a talk last gen that many 3rd party games were selling much more on PlayStation [especially Japanese ones], so marketing deals were much easier to get with Sony. MS would have to pay much more to get those multiplats on their promotion machine.

I personally don't care much, time exclusivities like these will eventually run out. It's better to get deals like this than Sony purchasing entire 3rd party publisher which will permanently tie those IPs to PlayStation [and PC]. And publishers will ALWAYS be open to these types of timed deals, they get free money without any effort, and after time runs out they can hit other platforms.

JordanMiddler

Journalist at VGC
Verified
Jul 15, 2021
To stem the 50000 comments that weren't here for the first thread.

1. Console exclusivity, PC isn't in the same conversation, you can see how their PC ports are doing.
2. They didn't show the next PS5 title because Final Fantasy hasn't been shown yet, and was supposed to by this point.
3. (because folk on reddit had been guessing this) it's not Kingdom Hearts.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I just wonder if this strategy will extend to more then just mainline FFs?

Maybe Chrono Cross?
Dragon Quest 12?

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
Personally fine with that, even though exclusivity obviously sucks. I only own an Xbox and never liked Final Fantasy, so the more money spent to gain exclusivity on things I don't care about makes it less likely that I'll want a PS5 down the line. Not sure I can afford one when I already have a Series X (not that PS5 isn't a cool console, I can just rarely justify buying more than one console within a few years).

Either way, if this comes to be, that's a big get for Playstation and for people who like the series!

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019

1. Console exclusivity, PC isn't in the same conversation, you can see how their PC ports are doing.
2. They didn't show the next PS5 title because Final Fantasy hasn't been shown yet, and was supposed to by this point.

Can you clarify point #2? Are you saying there's a mysterious FF title that hasn't been revealed (and was supposed to) that will be PS4/5 exclusive?

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Uuh how many games is that? 3 maybe? Or are there little spinoffs and stuff I don't know about that would also be exclusive.

RPGamer92

Oct 25, 2017

Chrono Cross?

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Well depends how you define popularity. FF is one of the biggest RPG IPs on the market and has one of the biggest MMOs on the market.

I usually base my purchase decision for consoles soley on it.

I wouldn't expect people to a PS5 for a single player FF based on XIV being "one of" the biggest MMOs.

And FF may be one of the biggest JRPG properties, but it's not like the genre is exactly flourishing.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I have loved this series since the NES. I'll be god damned if I buy a console to play it though. Will wait and see how things shake out because that would be dumb as hell of SE imo lol

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
Honestly, with Microsoft acquiring something as big as Bethesda, this is unfortunately always how Sony was going to retaliate. They can't afford an acquisition on the scale of a Bethesda, so instead they need to do it on a game by game basis.

I imagine FF is relatively less expensive than getting something like, say, Destiny as an exclusive because FF sales on Xbox are likely relatively soft anyways since Japanese games have never really seemed to be popular on Xbox.

What I'm more interested in is why other third party games they might try to pull. There was talk that they were trying to get Starfield before the Microsoft acquisition. Resident Evil 4 Remake? The next Bioshock? It's not good and I don't like third party exclusives OR industry consolidation, but I think it was an inevitability.

Build your own exclusives. Don't take away from others.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany

Maybe I read it wrong but Sony hold back marketing of their other big stuff so they can put the spotlight on FF16 first?

Oct 26, 2017
As shitty as that is, it's about what I expected. A shame because there's really no reason to have games like them be exclusive, unlike Sony's own output

Honestly, seeing more console exclusives is like a reversal of what we started to see in the past two generations

Bionicman

Oct 27, 2017
Has any Final Fantasy title ever managed to sell as much as Skyrim? I can understand this as a response to the MS Bethesda acquisition and PlayStation missing out on the next TES and Fallout, just not sure if Final Fantasy is enough to fill that gap. Maybe Sony could've bankrolled a first party open world RPG?

Status
Not open for further replies.