• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Lebron James really gonna join the Warner Bros Cinematic Universe huh

WB's premiere superhero tbh

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
What. The. Fuck.

WB get some fucking Looney Tunes out in the world you bums.

The only saving grace of this is we might see Scooby Doo and the Animaniacs (among others)

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Kevinception

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2020
Animated 2D Harry Potter or Xena aren't the real ones tho, this sounds awful. The charm of the original was that real people met the actual Looney Tunes.

This is only going to work if it uses the original actors.

I really wouldn't make a big deal about the IP usage, tbh. They won't be animated (unless the IP was iconicly animated). And they are sparingly used for the most part. They aren't like huge characters with dialogue yelling at Lebron like Daffy Duck or Porky Pig would.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
What's interesting is that it seems like the Friday the 13th and Jason licenses are separate. Which I guess makes sense considering the Jason everyone knows didn't come into play until the sequel. But in the case, why would either of them have the rights to him? The way he looks and acts didn't come into play until the sequel, and he didn't get the mask until the third movie. And I don't think either of them were involved with those movies.

Sean Cunningham is the head of Horror Inc. Which has produced every Ft13 movie and until this recent legal battle and was considered the legal owner of the IP.

Victor Miller was the original screenwriter for the first film. Under US law an author can revoke film and TV licensing of their original works after 3 decades. Irregardless of any time length mentioned in a contract. WB was planning to reboot the franchise and Miller wanted to be involved. Cunningham wouldn't let him so Miller intended to use the law to get back the IP. Cunningham tried to argue in court that Miller did not ever own the original script and/or that he sold the IP to Horror Inc. A judge rulled Miller did infact start creating the script before being hired Miller and never did he ever sell the IP to anyone. So Miller now owns the copyright for the script of the first movie. That means Jason, Pamela, Camp Crystal Lake, and the franchise name are all his. However everything in the sequels and the movies themselves still belong to Horror Inc, Paramount, and WB. So now for anything to be done with the IP it requires Miller's approval and Cunnigham's too.

Cunningham has refused to accept this and is appealing the case. In the meantime nothing can be done with the license. Funnily enough the Predator and The Nightmare on Elm Street IP have reverted, or will soon revert, back to the estates of their original writers too . However unlike with FT13 their is no legal disputes. The Wes Craven Estate is currently in talks with multiple people, including WB, on the future of TNOES IP.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
That's dumb. That's super dumb. They already did this with Lego Batman and it was super dumb and weakened the movie a lot for me.

I only care about Space Jam because of the Looney Toons lol

Last edited:

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I have no idea! Was thinking of Space Jam 2 when typing Batman lol sorry
Oh ok...hahaha. I loved Lego Batman (the movie), I didn't really like Lego Batman (the game) but I liked what I played of Lego Batman 2 (the game). I was legit wondering if there were cross-franchise unlockables in it that I wasn't aware of but i'm guessing you're referring to some some the weird villain cameos that show up in the end of Lego Batman (the movie) like Sauron.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Oh ok...hahaha. I loved Lego Batman (the movie), I didn't really like Lego Batman (the game) but I liked what I played of Lego Batman 2 (the game). I was legit wondering if there were cross-franchise unlockables in it that I wasn't aware of but i'm guessing you're referring to some some the weird villain cameos that show up in the end of Lego Batman (the movie) like Sauron.

Yeah there was a bit too much "look! it's ___ from ____!" in the climax of the movie. That shit rang hollow to me. And I like a lot of the movies they were referring to but it all took away from the Batman stuff.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Sean Cunningham is the head of Horror Inc. Which has produced every Ft13 movie and until this recent legal battle and was considered the legal owner of the IP.

Victor Miller was the original screenwriter for the first film. Under US law an author can revoke film and TV licensing of their original works after 3 decades. Irregardless of any time length mentioned in a contract. WB was planning to reboot the franchise and Miller wanted to be involved. Cunningham wouldn't let him so Miller intended to use the law to get back the IP. Cunningham tried to argue in court that Miller did not ever own the original script and/or that he sold the IP to Horror Inc. A judge rulled Miller did infact start creating the script before being hired Miller and never did he ever sell the IP to anyone. So Miller now owns the copyright for the script of the first movie. That means Jason, Pamela, Camp Crystal Lake, and the franchise name are all his. However everything in the sequels and the movies themselves still belong to Horror Inc, Paramount, and WB. So now for anything to be done with the IP it requires Miller's approval and Cunnigham's too.

Cunningham has refused to accept this and is appealing the case. In the meantime nothing can be done with the license. Funnily enough the Predator and The Nightmare on Elm Street IP have reverted, or will soon revert, back to the estates of their original writers too . However unlike with FT13 their is no legal disputes. The Wes Craven Estate is currently in talks with multiple people, including WB, on the future of TNOES IP.

So, basically Miller can make Friday the 13th with Jason, but he can't look or act like the character we know, while Cunningham can make a movie with the character we know, but he can't be named Jason, the movie can't be called Friday the 13th and can't feature Camp Crystal Lake? It seems like for anything to get done with this franchise, and for it to be done in a way that fans want it, then both sides are actually going to have to work together. There's more money than ever in the horror genre now, so having to split revenue is still going to result in a lot of money for everyone involved.

I was looking on IMDB and apparently LeBron wanted to reboot Friday the 13th back in 2018, and had even teamed up with Miller for it. The hang up is of course Cunningham

Kevinception

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2020

Interesting info!

But yea, there was no Jason character to be seen in this film.

Oddly enough, the production didn't get the full rights to use the Harry Potter IPs until well into shooting (they were inserted into already filmed scenes they were absent from). So there was definitely negotiating on certain IP by WB.

And finally, people expecting Voldemort and the Night King playing basketball against LeBron in the finale...don't worry, it's a much smarter and self aware movie than that. It's still basically Loony Toon characters teaming with LeBron against monsters/aliens(whatever)

(btw, LeBron was an incredibly gracious and humble guy throughout. I'm personally not a pro basketball guy, but he impressed me a lot. He gave a great and touching speech to the production about putting up with a non actor guy living his dream. He grew up a poor black kid with a single mother and apparently the original Space Jam with Jordan had a huge effect on him. Being able to carry on a sequel was a dream come true to him. He gave props to all the crew members and various production teams that helped him along in this venture. He got teary eyed. And it wasn't lip service cause he even would give money gifts to much of the lower rungs on the production ladder to say appreciation to their hard work and long hours helping to him look like he belongs in a major motion picture)

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I'm legitimately kind of shocked this hasn't been locked.

No source, literally just a person making a thread based on things he heard from a friend.

Kevinception

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2020
I'm legitimately kind of shocked this hasn't been locked.

No source, literally just a person making a thread based on things he heard from a friend.

Well I mean, I'm saying I was involved in the production and what is in the OP is mostly accurate so...but yea who am I? :P

it would be weird to make up stuff about a movie that is 2 years away from being released and no one is really talking about at all though...lol

But if that's policy here then I guess it should be closed?

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It's disappointing how little WB and Disney are doing with their iconic cartoon characters these days.

The Road Runner CGI shorts had a style that would have worked for a number of LT catoons.

Not to mention Disney and their neglected properties. Hopefully streaming services are bringing them back soon.

I'd kill for a Life and Times series with a good art style.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Sad reading about this being more WB ips than looney tunes, but happier after reading the edit. Hopefully is more Looney Tunes making fun of other WB ips.

Hopefully uses a techonlogy that makes it more similar visually to Roger Rabbit than Soace Jam or Back to Action. I know they are not going to put the work Roger Rabbit was put into ever again, but hopefully modern techology makes it easier for it to lool similar in treatment.

LeBron James as an actor, might be the ultimate cringe. On SNL he was horrible
Michael Jordan was also terrible in Space Jam, though watching the castillian spanish dub makes A LOT more palatable. He has a very charismatic voice (with a voice actor that actually knows how to act). Alfonso Vallés voice was also famous in Spain for being Solid Snake in the PSX MGS.
It will happen the same with this movie.

Original Version is not always the best way to watch something hahaha.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
It's disappointing how little WB and Disney are doing with their iconic cartoon characters these days.

The Road Runner CGI shorts had a style that would have worked for a number of LT catoons.

Not to mention Disney and their neglected properties. Hopefully streaming services are bringing them back soon.

I'd kill for a Life and Times series with a good art style.

Warner Bros commissioned a thousand minutes of traditional Looney Tunes animation that was supposed to debut last year.

After a quick google, it seems it was delayed to this May.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Ryan Coogler involved with the screenplay of this sequel? because if that's still the case then this has legitimate potential to be a good movie beyond nostalgia factor.

The Looney Tunes had such a fall of grace that they are getting pushed away from their own movie

I use to remember when they were Warner Bros answer to Mickey Mouse and friends. What happened!

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
I don't want other humans on the basketball team, even if they're the Mask or Joker. It's not as fun as Looney Tunes who suck at basketball playing alongside MJ.

LiquidDom

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Those two pics are very unsettling to me lol it's the quality mixed with the fact that it just looks off so it's giving me a weird vibe.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why The Mask? Do they own the film rights?

Should be expecting IPs like Doctor Who, just like in Lego Dimensions?

OP
OP
Durden

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is the kind of images that you find followed by creepypastas

wAbo8xK.png

2ZnQEHa.png

I honestly don't even know what the top pic is supposed to be.

I was told Joker would be in (go figure). I wanna say Wizard of Oz was mentioned too but I can't remember for sure. It was a lot.