• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KirikaPirin

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Definitely one of the greatest works of Remedy. Loved everything about this game except the last chapter which felt rushed and had bad game design. Haven't played any DLC nor American Nightmare. If those are included into remastered version, would definitely add to the value for me.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
While it's entirely possible Virtuos is remastering Alan Wake for new platforms, this video seems to be a guess based on:
  • Virtuos staffer's profile listing an "unannounced 3A action adventure game remake."
  • Said profile listing mentioning "set pieces destruction."
  • Virtuos having worked with Remedy in the past.
So basically, there is nothing here to substantially say whatever Virtuos is working on is definitely Alan Wake.

Also, calling what would likely be a remaster a "remake" is odd, but it may be a language barrier issue as there are other noticeable errors in the profile's English. This is the full profile listing btw:

That was as arousing to read as Columbo is to watch. Which is to say, very. Nice work.

Oct 27, 2017
Instant buy, as I've always wanted to play it but never owned an Xbox platform, and I dunno if my PC would be able to run it very well.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
While it's entirely possible Virtuos is remastering Alan Wake for new platforms, this video seems to be a guess based on:
  • Virtuos staffer's profile listing an "unannounced 3A action adventure game remake."
So basically, there is nothing here to substantially say whatever Virtuos is working on is definitely Alan Wake.

Also, calling what would likely be a remaster a "remake" is odd, but it may be a language barrier issue as there are other noticeable errors in the profile's English. This is the full profile listing btw:

Fantastic work!
That they say upgrade the engine leads me to believe it's a remaster too. AW was using an in house engine simply known as The Alan Wake Engine, but I don't believe it was Northlight, which already supports 4k on certain platforms.

Does AWE support native 4k on PC?

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
If it's true, I hope they add the combat changes from American Nightmare and include that game in the package.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Remaster would only mean higher resolution right? I would want to see a remake. But still, it's a great game. Might get it, if true.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
That's great. The original is still delisted on Xbox because of music licenses? lame.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Hope it pans out. I like these type of games and I'm glad the Switch is getting way more stuff these days. I don't play every Nintendo game and the Switch has become a third party console for me.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Fantastic work!
That they say upgrade the engine leads me to believe it's a remaster too. AW was using an in house engine simply known as The Alan Wake Engine, but I don't believe it was Northlight, which already supports 4k on certain platforms.

Does AWE support native 4k on PC?
i saw some in this thread mentioning playing it on PC in 4k, so seems like the engine does scale to higher resolutions already.

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
This would make me a happy boy. Dream is a remake on the newest Northlight tech for that sweet sweet destruction and lighting, but a straight up remaster package of AW + DLCs in preparation for whatever the hell is happening with Control next year would be great too. It's a generation of remasters, let Alan Wake get in on the action.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
This might be to test continued interest in other platforms like Control did. Testing the waters for future Alan Wake content and introducing a new audience. I am all for it. If they release a remake/update on PC, I hope they incorporate RayTracing and other enhancements they made to the engine over the years.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Give me a 4k pro version. I tried to play it on my one s but it is pretty ugly seeing all the squares in the fog

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017

All those mentions of new "AAA quality" level/character art asset creation and sound design work make this project sound more like a remake, at least on the visual end. It would be nice if Alan Wake (or at least its janky-ass pre-rendered cutscenes) got that kind of treatment, it just doesn't seem at all likely.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
I would have doubted it before, but for some reason Doctor Tre has a really good track record when it comes to these rumors. lmaoo

BlakeofT

Oct 30, 2017
The original Alan Wake made good use of analog triggers IIRC. Not sure it would work well on Switch.

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
I would have doubted it before, but for some reason Doctor Tre has a really good track record when it comes to these rumors. lmaoo
Hey just wanted to point out that Alan wake is what I think it probably is. I am not sure. I was sure about Witcher 3 because both what I found and because I was told about it after

OP
OP
T002 Tyrant

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Isn't oat milk amazing? I bought some for my dairy allergic son and it is delicious!

Anyways, I'll day one this on Switch!

Yeah it's got a good creamy taste, they also do oat cream and Oatley do a special barista formula that froths up for Cappuccinos. I myself have a milk sensitivity (and gluten and a long list of sensitivities as long as my arm including cashews, lettuce and I even have a respiratory sensitivity to canaries!).

Deleted member 26293

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think this has a very high chance of happening even if this speculation turns out being incorrect. Given the absurd amount of Alan Wake stuff teased in Control, if Remedy's next project isn't AW Remastered + AW 2 then i'm going to lose any hope about it ever happening at all.

The PC version of Alan Wake still looks pretty good overall even today, i feel the only things that need an update are character models and facial animations -which weren't particularly impressive even back then.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Bought.

Fuck that timeline, Remedy should be independent.
I would take anything as long as Remedy has funds to make awesome games

Control was already a budget game, and it bombed (right? so I've heard), so I fear for their future projects

Alan Wake remastered would be an easy way to earn some money, so It seems very pausable to me

Mr Delabee

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I would take anything as long as Remedy has funds to make awesome games

Control was already a budget game, and it bombed (right? so I've heard), so I fear for their future projects

Alan Wake remastered would be an easy way to earn some money, so It seems very pausable to me

I wouldn't worry about Control just yet, word of mouth is still getting around about the game being GOTY 2019 (absolutely)
It also has a roadblock map of content coming, two free updates due this year, photo mode and a new game mode - expeditions.
Two DLC's as part of the season pass out next year as well.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Around the time Quantum Break was releasing, Microsoft sent out a survey with one of the questions asking about an Alan Wake remaster.

With all the Alan Wake references (and even AWE references) in Quantum Break, I have to wonder if Microsoft and Remedy were originally planning a remaster, but decided against it after Quantum Break's performance. With Remedy getting the publishing rights back, now seems like the time for the game to return.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
Xbox should just BC 4kify it

IIRC, it's still missing visual effects, and the lighting isn't the same. I'd rather have a remaster that fixes all of these, and is available on more devices.

The 360 version ran at 540p and hasn't been X-Enhanced, it definitely needs a remaster at the very least if you want to play it on console. I'd love to replay it but not at that resolution on a 4K TV.

Also, no idea of this would be feasible but the facial expressions in the cutscenes would need a lot of work. They looked bad even in 2010.

This. And yeah, those faces are the only knock I have against a near perfect story.

If true I'll probably triple dip, if only to send the message that I want a sequel

Same. I bought it on PC on 3 storefronts, just to support the series. I don't even game on PC.

Talking specifically about Ghostbusters, I remember the PC port being lackluster, like the PS3 one. I think the only good version of that game was the 360 one, so I guess this remaster is bringing the better version to all the consoles.

IIRC, The Ghostbusters Remaster has an entirely new multiplayer, so that's something.

Why? They should continue, at least being multiplatform...

I got the feeling this was sarcasm.

What would be the benefit? Wouldn't Alan Wake be 4K/60 on Xbox One X already?

It's 720p sub 30FPS on Xbox One. Not enhanced.