Rumor/Speculation: Market speculates that Sony could buy Take Two (SEE UPDATE IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe the Houser's are retiring and it's time to cash in for mega bucks. Still think if they are for sale you would have quite a few other offers.

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny, isn't it
See...
Yes. The important thing to remember is that 2K/Take Two possess a number of game series of great interest to PC gamers. Even BioShock, which was System Shock, but heavily simplified for the console market, has its roots in PC gaming. Not to mention heavy PC-focused hitters such as Civilization or XCom.

If Microsoft purchased 2K/Take Two, life would go on as usual because MS are 100% dedicated to PC gaming to the point of making the astonishing decision to put Halo MCC on Steam, their competitor's storefront. Sony? Sony's support for PC has always been extremely, extremely spotty. The moment Sony is involved with a game, the PC version either gets a long delay or disappears forever.

Feb 10, 2018
Maybe the Houser's are retiring and it's time to cash in for mega bucks. Still think if they are for sale you would have quite a few other offers.
It also goes against what PlayStation have done in the past.
Sony's first party has been built over decades buying studios sparingly and building some studious from the ground up.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
If Rockstar wasn't apart of Take Two, I could see it. But since they are, this is a laugh.
Why? If it was 130 a share it would be roughly 14B. It would be much
Man, Sony REALLY didn't like Agent being in development hell.

This would be a really interesting acquisition. I would definitely love SIE making TakeTwo less nefarious with their MTXs, and giving studios like Hanger 13 a second chance.
When you sre rolling in cash and doing well IS when you sell a company if profit is what you want. Selling when you are doin
cheaper to buy just Rockstar.
What the...

This seems... dumb? For Take Two. Not necessarily Sony.

Why would Take Two want to do this?
14B reasons.

Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Why? If it was 130 a share it would be roughly 14B. It would be much

When you sre rolling in cash and doing well IS when you sell a company if profit is what you want. Selling when you are doin
cheaper to buy just Rockstar.

14B reasons.
Can't they just make more than what Sony would offer by selling games on 3 consoles than cashing out?

Oct 27, 2017
I mean it's possible. Sony is going to get their next influx of cash from Days Gone, Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima and TLoU II so they will be worth at least a couple of billions more in the next 2 years.

Feb 5, 2018
If this happened I wonder if Sony would treat GTA like Microsoft has treated Minecraft. GTA isn't GTA if it's just Spider-Man in cars

Oct 25, 2017
You know how Activision seems like they are in a real weird spot right now and have nothing in the pipe to replace the slowly declining COD money train?

What if their solution is to be bought out / merged with someone?

Oct 30, 2017
As always with these rumours: a first party buying a publisher makes little sense for two reasons. Firstly because Sony is already a publisher so there's a huge amount of duplication. Secondly, Take Two is instantly significantly devalued the moment they make their games PlayStation exclusive.

And really, it's all about GTA. And it's a really expensive way of getting GTA.
Take two has alot of ips and no one is talking about making any games exclusives. It's very likely that for an acquisition of this magnitude many of the top games will stay multi to make it worth it.

Dec 9, 2017
Didn’t EA or someone else offer more per share to make a hostile takeover?? I can’t see Take two selling unless its 50% or higher of Take two’s current market share to let Sony buy them out. Rockstar’s properties alone are worth its weight in gold.

Oct 11, 2018
I don't think Sony would allow the games to be published multiplatform, they have been a lot less receptive to doing things with competitors unlike Microsoft and Nintendo.

Yes. The important thing to remember is that 2K/Take Two possess a number of game series of great interest to PC gamers. Even BioShock, which was System Shock, but heavily simplified for the console market, has its roots in PC gaming. Not to mention heavy PC-focused hitters such as Civilization or XCom.

If Microsoft purchased 2K/Take Two, life would go on as usual because MS are 100% dedicated to PC gaming to the point of making the astonishing decision to put Halo MCC on Steam, their competitor's storefront. Sony? Sony's support for PC has always been extremely, extremely spotty. The moment Sony is involved with a game, the PC version either gets a long delay or disappears forever.
They haven’t even released it yet on PC but are 100% dedicated?

Jlawokay.gif

Nov 7, 2017
Whilst I don't think this is necessarily true, a difference in reception isn't exactly surprising. Whilst both platform holders have had blunders, closures etc, Microsoft's track record of IP, studio and exclusives management in recent years has been especially poor, notably in comparison to Sony and Nintendo. Whether you look at the decline of Halo, Gears, Crackdown, exclusives like Sea of Thieves, certain other titles, Fable, Rare as a whole, Lionhead, Scalebound and so on, and then compare to Sony or Nintendo's recent exclusives and output, it's little wonder many have so much more confidence in Sony's management of studios and IP over Microsoft's.

TakeTwo (TT) under Sony means a lot of people (Xbox gamers) are potentially pushed to invest in a Sony platform in order to play TT games, but games that ultimately are still likely to be really high quality (potentially also with less aggressive microtransactions or GaaS emphasis). A TT under Microsoft however might lend to a greater chance of TT putting out worse quality games altogether, which to many is potentially worse.

That and lots more people own a PS4 over an Xbox One in the first place, hence another reason there could be less pushback to one over the other.

Well, the worldwide ps vs xbox sales are like 2:1, on this board the ratio seems more like at least 5:1 in owners and interest. On average the OT for a sony exclusive is probably 10X as large as for any MS exclusive, while the end user sales are typically not nearly so slanted. For me, Halo Infinite has more appeal than Sony's entire upcoming lineup and it's not close, so different strokes for different folks.

Also Sea of Thieves is actually an innovative Gaas which is the future, and was a pretty big success, on twitch and elsewhere. So far Sony is holding the line on old school single player games, but I'm a bit skeptical how long they can continue as the only holdout.

Anyways like MS buying EA, I 99.99999% doubt this will happen, for the same reasons. MS buying EA removes 2/3 of Madden' or Fifa's (80% of Fifa)audience, that or they allow first party to publish on a competing platform...seems unlikely. Other than sort of corner cases like Minecraft.

Sony is in a more muscular position for sure, but I dont think they can even blink at losing 1/3 of 100 million sales or whatever GTA 5 did. The other issue is I believe third parties tend to be more innovative, most software sales are third party games, look at top ten charts it's COD, Fifa, BF, Madden, Assassins Creed, GTA, assorted Ubisoft titles, year after year in the core market. If GTA went first party I'd have my doubts it could be, GTA anymore. Another example for me is Cyberpunk, I'm really jazzed about that. You cant get that budget and scale on first party.

Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
You know how Activision seems like they are in a real weird spot right now and have nothing in the pipe to replace the slowly declining COD money train?

What if their solution is to be bought out / merged with someone?
What's the sense of buying Activision Blizzard?

COD is the strongest thing they got. WoW is in decline, Overwatch is kind of played out, no longer have Bungie/Destiny, Diablo 4 is no where in sight. On top of that Kotick doesnr deserve that type of out.

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
The tone in this thread is completely opposite to the Xbox/Gearbox thing.

I wonder if the tone would change if it was Microsoft who was rumored to pick them up instead.
C’mon now, most people, myself included, are saying it’s pure bullshit and others are saying how bad it’ll be.

Oct 30, 2017
Houston
The tone in this thread is completely opposite to the Xbox/Gearbox thing.

I wonder if the tone would change if it was Microsoft who was rumored to pick them up instead.
You know what the tone would be. It would be pure outrage. Religion, gaming and politics. They have a lot in common. People come to a conclusion regardless of facts and fight hard to justify their beliefs.

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think Sony is going to sit there doing nothing while a lot of companies are acquiring studios so though it's likely they're going to be doing something similar, I have doubts it's going to be something as large as this.

Aug 20, 2018
Last year, it was MS buying EA.
This year, it was Sony buying Take-Two.

Next year it will be Nintendo buying Activision.

You heard it here from me first, folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.