Rumor/Speculation: Market speculates that Sony could buy Take Two (SEE UPDATE IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 2017
Not going to happen. More likely Microsoft buys them. Sony already have great exclusives and adding take two to their list of developers will be bonkers and unlawful.

Oct 27, 2017
They haven’t even released it yet on PC but are 100% dedicated?

Jlawokay.gif
Since 2016, every single Microsoft game has released for PC. They are 100% dedicated to supporting PC, or more specifically Windows, as a platform. This is the difference between Sony and Microsoft in the context of potentially purchasing a company which shepherds some very beloved PC gaming series. Microsoft have a vested interest in games coming to Windows. Sony does not. Sony seems to go out of their way to prevent and/or delay games coming to Windows when they have the power to do so. They are in the business of trying to sell Sony consoles, after all -- although changing market conditions may drive them to be more flexible in future.

Oct 25, 2017
MN
There’s no way in hell MS would let that happen. They would counter offer more.

It would also not to be in Take Two’s benefit to go exclusive. They sell way more copies of their games by having them on competing platforms.

Oct 26, 2017
Capcom market cap: 2.5 billion
Square Enix market cap: 5.5 billion
Konami market cap: 6.5 billion
TOTAL: 14.5 billion

Take Two market cap: 14.5 billion

Oct 25, 2017
Some of you are way too shook over this clearly not possible rumor. It's also really funny to see the people jumping through mental hoops to justify one side buying up studios as being great and the other side being vilified for the notion of buying up studios or publishers.

Btw, take two isn't just RDR and GTA. Sure they make loads of cash but they have some really deep ips.

Jan 14, 2018
CT
There’s no way in hell MS would let that happen. They would counter offer more.

It would also not to be in Take Two’s benefit to go exclusive. They sell way more copies of their games by having them on competing platforms.
R* is the reason i didnt believe this for a second. you can’t put the $ they put into games to only sell on one platform.

the budget would have to get cut way way back and you wouldn’t get close to the same game

Oct 25, 2017
Its baffling and embarrassing.
I think it's largely because Microsoft has been pushing more and more towards play anywhere, so their games are going to be on PC too. So even if they don't give a shit about XBox, those games will still be playable to them so they're unaffected.

Oct 26, 2017
A console manufacturer buying Firaxis would be the worst thing ever. I don't want to see the Civilization series end.
This was my immediate emotional response.

Sony treading on sacred PC gaming ground here if the news is true. Civilization, XCOM, Railroad Tycoon, Pirates.

Fuck outta here Sony.

Oct 28, 2017
This seems completely ridiculous, and why would we want this to happen? Consolidation of major third party publishers into first party benefits only a small subset of the total gaming audience.

I almost exclusively play on my ps4, and I don't play any games produced by take two, and I still wouldn't want them to be exclusive to ps4 if I did.

Nov 12, 2017
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/0...an-unfounded-rumor-of-sony-acquiring-take-two

"Speaking with IGN, Michael Pachter, managing director of equity research at Wedbush Securities, said of this potential purchase "I think it’s highly unlikely and so does my trader," referring to Kulina who was originally misquoted. According to Pachter, there was "chatter" among trading desks trying to determine why Take-Two's stock had risen, and this idea of a potential purchase was one such idea thrown around. But it wasn't coming from a concrete source despite MarketWatch's original citation of it. "

So basically someone saw take two stock rise and wondered what the reason for it was and pulled things out of their asses?

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/0...an-unfounded-rumor-of-sony-acquiring-take-two

"Speaking with IGN, Michael Pachter, managing director of equity research at Wedbush Securities, said of this potential purchase "I think it’s highly unlikely and so does my trader," referring to Kulina who was originally misquoted. According to Pachter, there was "chatter" among trading desks trying to determine why Take-Two's stock had risen, and this idea of a potential purchase was one such idea thrown around. But it wasn't coming from a concrete source despite MarketWatch's original citation of it. "

So basically someone saw take two stock rise and wondered what the reason for it was and pulled things out of their asses?
Allegedly the guy outright send out an email in which he stated that he heard Sony is in advanced board level discussions to acquire Take Two. There's some huge BS going on here

So either the email is legit and the guy is simply making up rumors, or the email is a fake and someone is trying to ruin his career.

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
So either the email is legit and the guy is simply making up rumors, or the email is a fake and someone is trying to ruin his career.
More likely the email is legit and he personally considers that when he says "unconfirmed no source" it allows him to repeat any sort of hearsay without any responsibility.

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's largely because Microsoft has been pushing more and more towards play anywhere, so their games are going to be on PC too. So even if they don't give a shit about XBox, those games will still be playable to them so they're unaffected.
Exactly. Sony and Nintendo are so much worse when it comes to exclusivity than Microsoft, Microsoft might end up making games Windows Store exclusives but that’s about it, you’ll still be able play on PC, they’re even starting to put their games on Steam now as well.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
sony has to do something drastic, everybody is aiming at the gaming market these days.

They’re gonna have to go super hard and opening that wallet, Fox was scared of future competition from amazon, Apple, Netflix. Decided to get out of the movie business.

I have to think huge purchases to stay relevant are ideal, GTA is such a get and so is RDR. Everything else is just gravy.

Oct 28, 2017
Life time Playstation owner here... I wouldn't want this to happen to gamers. Fuck that... unless there was a threat that Take Two was being bought out by some other Hardware maker.

Yall remember all those rumors going into this gen? How there was going to be all these big acquisitions and mergers with the Hardware makers and Top Software Companies? Nothing happened right?

Hopefully this nothing but just a rumor as well.

Oct 27, 2017
This was my immediate emotional response.

Sony treading on sacred PC gaming ground here if the news is true. Civilization, XCOM, Railroad Tycoon, Pirates.

Fuck outta here Sony.
Holy crap, this is worse than I thought, Sid Meier making console exclusives, this simply can not happen

Oct 31, 2017
Sony is buying someone and it'll be large I don't know why people are shocked. T2 has been rumored for years.
I'll agree with this especially if FAANG gets serious about gaming. Sony has to protect gaming as it's been a one of their core pillars. Buying a huge publisher helps them protect themselves for the long term.

This would also force Microsoft to allocate more capital to gaming. You guys shouldn't think for a second that if Google gets serious about gaming that Amazon won't follow suit right away. Netflix is getting more and more interactive. Facebook, Amazon, Google (and Microsoft) are not shy about spending and they definitely have the wherewithal to buy anyone in the game industry if they want to disrupt this industry.

I see consolidation in the future of gaming and further consolidation in movies. Music industry went from Big 6 in 98 to 3 + indies. Movies have been consolidating with a couple more of the soon to be Big 5 + Lionsgate + MGM still prime to being acquired. Gaming hasn't gone through that yet, but I think it's inevitable if these huge tech giants and media corporations start getting in it in a serious manner.

Buying Japanese publishers is a bit trickier due to the laws in Japan. Still doable, but you can't just lay people off over there after an acquisition AFAIK.

Status
Not open for further replies.