• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Thinking about it a little bit more, if this actually did happen somehow i'd be annoyed because they could use half that money and triple the size of their own studios like santa monica and studio japan.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I have to assume that if this did happen that they wouldn't retain the NBA license. I can't imagine the NBA wanting it to be platform exclusive, especially since the Xbox's biggest market is USA and it's a safe assumption to assume that's also the NBA's largest market.

The NBA would probably renegotiate the contract, but 2K is not the only NBA license holder. EA has one too. Sony used to have their own exclusive NBA sim before they gave it up. So it's not like NBA games would necessarily be locked to one platform...they only practically would.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they'd let FIreaxis work like they've always done and release the games on PC, just that all profit goes to Sony?

Not that I think this rumor is true, but that would be a solution when it comes to PC-centric games like Civ.
Short-term, sure; but long-term they'd be another Daybreak. The pressure to make their titles synergise with Playstation would eventually become overwhelming.

I can't see it being any kind of positive for a PC-focused studio like Firaxis.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
This is only the case if there's a risk for a monopoly to arise or when choice for the consumer is getting limited in a big way. In this huge, diverse industry with so many players, Sony + Take Two in total don't even get 20 % of all income if you include mobile, pc gaming, etc, probably not even 10 %. So I don't see a problem there.

Nifty, thanks for the reply :)

I was joking with a co-worker about this today, but the idea that Sony might be trying harder to turn video game IP into movies and TV shows is growing on me. I mean, if we go back 20 years the idea of a quality comic book movie was laughable. We know Sony are working towards an Uncharted movie and a Sly Cooper series, maybe they have aspirations of turning more gaming IP into movies/shows? It'd allow their media divisions to double dip on a popular IP, and hell I'm sure they could work content from the music division in there too.

Also, this is all making me think of Shawn Laydens comments from recent interviews:

But, no, I was referencing more with the things like "GTA 5 Online," or you look at "Call of Duty," or "Fortnite," or any of those experiences. Worldwide Studios, like I say, we've been going really heavy into story-driven gaming. The power of the narrative. Big, spectacular experiences. But not a whole lot in the multiplayer side of things, I think. That's an area where you will likely see us start to make more noise in the new term.
Source

Makes me wonder if this is what he was referring to.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Say if MS countered and bought from software, insomniac, turtle rock, iO interactive, ready at dawn and square (for a lot less money)?
While GTA would be a huge get for Sony and PlayStation, they would probably lose content PlayStation fans love.
I think Sony would be better off buying smaller studios like the ones I mentioned in the MS retaliation.

That's if Xbox would or even could retaliate. From what we know, Xbox might not have ever been profitable overall, and we know how much the brand has performed less than spectacularly in recent years, to the point where they no longer even bother to report sales etc. I don't think Microsoft higher ups, given Xbox's performance in recent years, simply gives the go ahead on such massive acquisitions in some sort of retaliation. Smaller acquisitions of the kind Microsoft has been making in recent months as a testing ground and bolstering move of sorts? Sure. But those massive acquisitions? I can't see it happening. Unless Xbox really turns things around next gen that is.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I have to assume that if this did happen that they wouldn't retain the NBA license. I can't imagine the NBA wanting it to be platform exclusive, especially since the Xbox's biggest market is USA and it's a safe assumption to assume that's also the NBA's largest market.
Of course not, just like the rumors of Xbox buying EA, they weren't going to be getting to make those sports games exclusive

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
This thread is full of great euphoria while the thread of ms/ea was met with bitter dislike and condemnation and talk of antitrust.....

Anyways..no way. Cant remove half of gta sales

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Sony does make this happen there is no way they'll keep all the series in Take Two's portfolio exclusive.

The backlash would be beyond measure especially if they don't do PC versions either.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
"A couple?" That makes my point. I kind of hope it happens. It will be interesting to see the meltdown when I am proven right. Sony is a company with a "proprietary" culture that has some how labeled themselves as super pro-consumer. That just isn't true.

This has nothing to do with what you or I think about MS. Look at Sony's history. They always want their own thing. Betamax, Memory stick, ATRAC, Minidisc, UMD, Bluray, etc. They always want you playing in their garden on their format. They could have been 1st with music streaming ala Ipod, but they hated digital music because they didn't want to allow downloads of their music. There a lot more examples by the way. This is just their history. No way they spend that coin and let those games be played on other platforms. You're kidding yourself.

This particular rumour isn't happening, but to look at this a little more generally, Sony beyond gaming is not about keeping its content to its own platforms or formats any more. The whole motivation for their music acquisitions is to make long term licensing coin from other streaming services, for example. Sony sees value in their own platform ownership in games at the moment, obviously, but this wouldn't necessarily be the orientation, or the sole orientation, if Sony did take on a tranche of big IP in an inorganic fashion like in a 'big' acquisition. I think this is all moot with regard to this rumour anyway, but I think that general characterization of Sony guarding its content behind its own formats only, is no longer accurate, and the new CEO seems to be orientating toward a strategy of general licensing of valuable content, in music and movies at least. You have to up a long way back in time and attitudes to find the kind of Sony that was wary of digital music because it wanted to sell CDs... their outlook now is a 180 from that positioning.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
If it were to happen I wonder if everything would just get absorbed into Worldwide Studios or if they'd keep it as a separate entity.

Also, don't huge acquisitions like this require regulatory approval by some sort of governmental agencies? Which country (or countries) would probably have to sign off on such a deal?
R* is gonna get left the fk alone.
But God, I wouldn't mind Ken Levine and Bioshock to be apart of WWS..

It wouldn't happen overnight and things probably wouldn't change that much. I mean, they could make their investments back with just the next GTA still being multiplatform, let alone 2k.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
What's interesting to me about this rumor necessarily isn't whether this particular rumor is true or not (which sounds absolutely unlikely and insane) but how it began and what it actually signals for Sony acquisitions.
signals Sony thinking of going big if they need to?
No way.
uuuf I forgot Midnight Club existed

oh how I loved it back in the day

Feb 10, 2018
That's if Xbox would or even could retaliate. From what we know, Xbox might not have ever been profitable overall, and we know how much the brand has performed less than spectacularly in recent years, to the point where they no longer even bother to report sales etc. I don't think Microsoft higher ups, given Xbox's performance in recent years, simply gives the go ahead on such massive acquisitions in some sort of retaliation. Smaller acquisitions of the kind Microsoft has been making in recent months as a testing ground and bolstering move of sorts? Sure. But those massive acquisitions? I can't see it happening. Unless Microsoft really turn things around next gen that is.

1. The Xbox division has been increasing revenue recently.
  2. So you think Ms lacks confidence in xbox after they just made the single biggest yearly investment in first party?
  3. The acquisitions I stated are not even that big, apart from square.
  4. We already know MS want to turn things around with everything they have been doing, like gamepass, BC, enhanced BC, the X1S +X1X and the studio acquisitions.

You really think Xbox will just sit down, take it and die, after all the work and investment they have put in?

Last edited:

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that would suck something like Civilization would be dead if they tried to make it PS exclusive. I'd assume in this scenario they wouldn't make a bone headed move like that.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
The tone in this thread is completely opposite to the Xbox/Gearbox thing.

I wonder if the tone would change if it was Microsoft who was rumored to pick them up instead.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I mean, for Sony? It'd be an amazing get.

For the gamers? It would fucking suck. You can say goodbye to multi-platform games, no more GTA on xbox/pc, etc.

I love my ps4 and it has a lot of great exclusive games, but unlike MS Sony keeps their games solely on their systems, no pc ports, etc, at least for the reall big ones. They want people to have to buy a playstation to play those games.

I could also see Take two really not wanting this. I mean can you imagine trying to explain to shareholders that you sell to Sony and then you'll only be releasing the games on one system and not getting that sweet online revenue from pc/xbox sales? I don't think they'd be happy about that.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
If true, there has to be some rumbling going on to make this kind of move. They would have to see value in talking the company on as owning it rather than as a partner.

It either means they think we're going to see another big player get acquired somewhere by a company, or something else big is happening.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It is not happening but the sole info that Sony has been in talks about an aquisition THAT big means they are not as passive as people thought.

At the very least this means Sony is looking to acquire some studios which is interesting.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This thread is full of great euphoria while the thread of ms/ea was met with bitter dislike and condemnation and talk of antitrust.....

Anyways..no way. Cant remove half of gta sales

Whilst I don't think this is necessarily true, a difference in reception isn't exactly surprising. Whilst both platform holders have had blunders, closures etc, Microsoft's track record of IP, studio and exclusives management in recent years has been especially poor, notably in comparison to Sony and Nintendo. Whether you look at the decline of Halo, Gears, Crackdown, exclusives like Sea of Thieves, certain other titles, Fable, Rare as a whole, Lionhead, Scalebound and so on, and then compare to Sony or Nintendo's recent exclusives and output, it's little wonder many have so much more confidence in Sony's management of studios and IP over Microsoft's.

TakeTwo (TT) under Sony means a lot of people (Xbox gamers) are potentially pushed to invest in a Sony platform in order to play TT games, but games that ultimately are still likely to be really high quality (potentially also with less aggressive microtransactions or GaaS emphasis). A TT under Microsoft however might lend to a greater chance of TT putting out worse quality games altogether, which to many is potentially worse.

That and lots more people own a PS4 over an Xbox One in the first place, hence another reason there could be less pushback to one over the other.

Last edited:

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It would be worth it just to see RDR2 become eras most loved and cherished game.
lol-duck.gif

ByteSizeRick

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, for Sony? It'd be an amazing get.

For the gamers? It would fucking suck. You can say goodbye to multi-platform games, no more GTA on xbox/pc, etc.

I love my ps4 and it has a lot of great exclusive games, but unlike MS Sony keeps their games solely on their systems, no pc ports, etc, at least for the reall big ones. They want people to have to buy a playstation to play those games.

I could also see Take two really not wanting this. I mean can you imagine trying to explain to shareholders that you sell to Sony and then you'll only be releasing the games on one system and not getting that sweet online revenue from pc/xbox sales? I don't think they'd be happy about that.

Uh, well, they'd be bought. Not shareholders (except to the extent the package consisted of Sony stock). So, the price would have to be at a premium significant enough to justify the sale, but after that there would be no shareholders to satisfy.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Im amazed the thread hasn't been locked yet. This whole rumor, interesting or not, feels like it's based just off of a single assumption or thought. Even if it's cool or major news in the future and the rumor somehow ends up being right, it kind of just feels like this thread is talking in circles

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Ordinarily I'd dismiss this but given that Google and, I'm assuming Amazon, are going to enter the gaming space soon I think there's a chance (however slight) that this is Sony shoring up their IP catalogue to do battle against the Silicon Valley titans when it comes to who can launch the 'Netflix of games' first.

We've already seen it with Netflix paying big money for Ryan Murphy and WarnerMedia cutting a similar big money deal for Greg Berlanti. Yes those aren't the same things but it does show the importance of talent and IPs when an incumbent industry leader finds itself potentially going head to head with the near bottomless pockets of Silicon Valley's big players.

What if/when Apple, a trillion dollar company or thereabouts, decides to launch a streaming games platform too? Sony will need everything at it's disposal to fight and potentially owning the GTA and Red Dead properties could be a real game changer as the 'streaming wars' start to heat up.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The tone in this thread is completely opposite to the Xbox/Gearbox thing.

I wonder if the tone would change if it was Microsoft who was rumored to pick them up instead.

Of course it would.

More people have PS4's, more people prefer Playstation, more people are hoping to remain with Playstation next gen if, god willing, they don't screw things up regarding backwards compatibility.

Were Microsoft in talks to buy T2 it would annoy a lot of people who honestly aren't interested in Xbox but would have to end up shelling out for it just to play Rockstar games.

But in the end it doesn't matter if this rumour is true anyway, it'll just be a Minecraft situation and the games from T2 will still be multiplatform... probably.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
If Sony does this, Rockstar is not going to be exclusive. So it doesn't really affect console owners.
That's how I see it. Like minecraft is still multiplatform-ish
  1. Xbox has been profitable
  2. So you think Ms lacks confidence in xbox after they just made the single biggest yearly investment in first party?
  3. The acquisitions I stated are not even that big, apart from square.
  4. We already know MS want to turn things around with everything they have been doing, like gamepass, BC, enhanced BC, the X1S +X1X and the studio acquisitions.

You really think Xbox will just sit down, take it and die, after all the work and investment they have put in?
Sources ?

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like I missed the fun. It's weird coming to huge "news" like this after it's been debunked.

Say if MS countered and bought from software, insomniac, turtle rock, iO interactive, ready at dawn and square (for a lot less money)?
While GTA would be a huge get for Sony and PlayStation, they would probably lose content PlayStation fans love.
I think Sony would be better off buying smaller studios like the ones I mentioned in the MS retaliation.
You make a valid point, but isn't there some kind of rule against Japanese companies being acquired? I'm sure I read that somewhere. Insomniac don't want to be bought and Spider-Man and Ratchet & Clank are both their most successful games to date by far. PlayStation fans could definitely lose out on lots of great content to play without an internet connection, but perhaps Sony will allow these Xbox games to be accessible on their console. Or will hell freeze over first? Not sure.
To be honest, the investments they've made into first-party are substantial but still relatively small when looked at in isolation. Given what Playground Games and Undead Labs do for Xbox, it was only a matter of time before they were acquired even if Xbox wasn't in a position where they needed to make the moves they have. These acquisitions happened in a burst fashion so that Xbox has content lined up for next-gen and for Game Pass "per quarter", and that amplifies the impact. The chosen studios are pretty smart purchases as a lot of them punch above their weight to provide great games, but it looks as though they were chosen because of their size. MS could have purchased bigger studios but why they didn't? It feels like bigger purchases were out of their grasp. We just found out that The Initiative plans to stay small after the dialogue that it was to be a "AAAA" thing. It's definitely not a certain that MS could be in a position to react with humongous acquisitions, just like Sony being in the position to acquire Take-Two is not really certain.

Status
Not open for further replies.