• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Whilst I don't think this is necessarily true, a difference in reception isn't exactly surprising. Whilst both platform holders have had blunders, closures etc, Microsoft's track record of IP, studio and exclusives management in recent years has been especially poor, notably in comparison to Sony and Nintendo. Whether you look at the decline of Halo, Gears, Crackdown, exclusives like Sea of Thieves, certain other titles, Fable, Rare as a whole, Lionhead, Scalebound and so on, and then compare to Sony or Nintendo's recent exclusives and output, it's little wonder many have so much more confidence in Sony's management of studios and IP over Microsoft's.

TakeTwo (TT) under Sony means a lot of people (Xbox gamers) are potentially pushed to invest in a Sony platform in order to play TT games, but games that ultimately are still likely to be really high quality (potentially also with less aggressive microtransactions or GaaS emphasis). A TT under Microsoft however might lend to a greater chance of TT putting out worse quality games altogether, which to many is potentially worse.

That and lots more people own a PS4 over an Xbox One in the first place, hence another reason there could be less pushback to one over the other.

Well, the worldwide ps vs xbox sales are like 2:1, on this board the ratio seems more like at least 5:1 in owners and interest. On average the OT for a sony exclusive is probably 10X as large as for any MS exclusive, while the end user sales are typically not nearly so slanted. For me, Halo Infinite has more appeal than Sony's entire upcoming lineup and it's not close, so different strokes for different folks.

Also Sea of Thieves is actually an innovative Gaas which is the future, and was a pretty big success, on twitch and elsewhere. So far Sony is holding the line on old school single player games, but I'm a bit skeptical how long they can continue as the only holdout.

Anyways like MS buying EA, I 99.99999% doubt this will happen, for the same reasons. MS buying EA removes 2/3 of Madden' or Fifa's (80% of Fifa)audience, that or they allow first party to publish on a competing platform...seems unlikely. Other than sort of corner cases like Minecraft.

Sony is in a more muscular position for sure, but I dont think they can even blink at losing 1/3 of 100 million sales or whatever GTA 5 did. The other issue is I believe third parties tend to be more innovative, most software sales are third party games, look at top ten charts it's COD, Fifa, BF, Madden, Assassins Creed, GTA, assorted Ubisoft titles, year after year in the core market. If GTA went first party I'd have my doubts it could be, GTA anymore. Another example for me is Cyberpunk, I'm really jazzed about that. You cant get that budget and scale on first party.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
You know how Activision seems like they are in a real weird spot right now and have nothing in the pipe to replace the slowly declining COD money train?

What if their solution is to be bought out / merged with someone?
What's the sense of buying Activision Blizzard?

COD is the strongest thing they got. WoW is in decline, Overwatch is kind of played out, no longer have Bungie/Destiny, Diablo 4 is no where in sight. On top of that Kotick doesnr deserve that type of out.

sjackso3

Oct 30, 2017
Houston
The tone in this thread is completely opposite to the Xbox/Gearbox thing.

I wonder if the tone would change if it was Microsoft who was rumored to pick them up instead.

You know what the tone would be. It would be pure outrage. Religion, gaming and politics. They have a lot in common. People come to a conclusion regardless of facts and fight hard to justify their beliefs.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think Sony is going to sit there doing nothing while a lot of companies are acquiring studios so though it's likely they're going to be doing something similar, I have doubts it's going to be something as large as this.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Last year, it was MS buying EA.
This year, it was Sony buying Take-Two.

Next year it will be Nintendo buying Activision.

You heard it here from me first, folks!

z285714

Sep 9, 2018
Well,Sony spent 5b acquiring Columbia and it was 1989.Everything can happen.But there is no reason for Sony to do that...

Osa15

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Not going to happen. More likely Microsoft buys them. Sony already have great exclusives and adding take two to their list of developers will be bonkers and unlawful.

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Let Sony buy Take 2, Microsoft will just counter by purchasing something even more valuable and money making than Take 2.

Nintendo ;)
0nuCsx6.jpg

PioFtFK.gif

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They haven't even released it yet on PC but are 100% dedicated?

Jlawokay.gif
Since 2016, every single Microsoft game has released for PC. They are 100% dedicated to supporting PC, or more specifically Windows, as a platform. This is the difference between Sony and Microsoft in the context of potentially purchasing a company which shepherds some very beloved PC gaming series. Microsoft have a vested interest in games coming to Windows. Sony does not. Sony seems to go out of their way to prevent and/or delay games coming to Windows when they have the power to do so. They are in the business of trying to sell Sony consoles, after all -- although changing market conditions may drive them to be more flexible in future.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
There's no way in hell MS would let that happen. They would counter offer more.

It would also not to be in Take Two's benefit to go exclusive. They sell way more copies of their games by having them on competing platforms.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Capcom market cap: 2.5 billion
Square Enix market cap: 5.5 billion
Konami market cap: 6.5 billion
TOTAL: 14.5 billion

Take Two market cap: 14.5 billion

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
HOLY SHIT

I can only respect the balls if this is true

But R* extended game experiences aren't enough for me

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Some of you are way too shook over this clearly not possible rumor. It's also really funny to see the people jumping through mental hoops to justify one side buying up studios as being great and the other side being vilified for the notion of buying up studios or publishers.

Btw, take two isn't just RDR and GTA. Sure they make loads of cash but they have some really deep ips.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
There's no way in hell MS would let that happen. They would counter offer more.

It would also not to be in Take Two's benefit to go exclusive. They sell way more copies of their games by having them on competing platforms.

R* is the reason i didnt believe this for a second. you can't put the $ they put into games to only sell on one platform.

the budget would have to get cut way way back and you wouldn't get close to the same game

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Hasn't this been debunked as not being true. Wonder what's keeping thread alive. Has there been something new?

Abdiel

Oct 28, 2017
This seems completely ridiculous, and why would we want this to happen? Consolidation of major third party publishers into first party benefits only a small subset of the total gaming audience.

I almost exclusively play on my ps4, and I don't play any games produced by take two, and I still wouldn't want them to be exclusive to ps4 if I did.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/0...an-unfounded-rumor-of-sony-acquiring-take-two

"Speaking with IGN, Michael Pachter, managing director of equity research at Wedbush Securities, said of this potential purchase "I think it's highly unlikely and so does my trader," referring to Kulina who was originally misquoted. According to Pachter, there was "chatter" among trading desks trying to determine why Take-Two's stock had risen, and this idea of a potential purchase was one such idea thrown around. But it wasn't coming from a concrete source despite MarketWatch's original citation of it. "

So basically someone saw take two stock rise and wondered what the reason for it was and pulled things out of their asses?

ShinMaruku

Oct 25, 2017
Whoever made that rumor probably is thinking to himself, "Men like us, we never get back the things we love"

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this remains just market chatter, it would be bad for the industry.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/0...an-unfounded-rumor-of-sony-acquiring-take-two

"Speaking with IGN, Michael Pachter, managing director of equity research at Wedbush Securities, said of this potential purchase "I think it's highly unlikely and so does my trader," referring to Kulina who was originally misquoted. According to Pachter, there was "chatter" among trading desks trying to determine why Take-Two's stock had risen, and this idea of a potential purchase was one such idea thrown around. But it wasn't coming from a concrete source despite MarketWatch's original citation of it. "

So basically someone saw take two stock rise and wondered what the reason for it was and pulled things out of their asses?
Allegedly the guy outright send out an email in which he stated that he heard Sony is in advanced board level discussions to acquire Take Two. There's some huge BS going on here

So either the email is legit and the guy is simply making up rumors, or the email is a fake and someone is trying to ruin his career.

Oct 25, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.