• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Sony is buying someone and it'll be large I don't know why people are shocked. T2 has been rumored for years.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's largely because Microsoft has been pushing more and more towards play anywhere, so their games are going to be on PC too. So even if they don't give a shit about XBox, those games will still be playable to them so they're unaffected.
Exactly. Sony and Nintendo are so much worse when it comes to exclusivity than Microsoft, Microsoft might end up making games Windows Store exclusives but that's about it, you'll still be able play on PC, they're even starting to put their games on Steam now as well.

Last edited:

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
sony has to do something drastic, everybody is aiming at the gaming market these days.

They're gonna have to go super hard and opening that wallet, Fox was scared of future competition from amazon, Apple, Netflix. Decided to get out of the movie business.

I have to think huge purchases to stay relevant are ideal, GTA is such a get and so is RDR. Everything else is just gravy.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Life time Playstation owner here... I wouldn't want this to happen to gamers. Fuck that... unless there was a threat that Take Two was being bought out by some other Hardware maker.

Yall remember all those rumors going into this gen? How there was going to be all these big acquisitions and mergers with the Hardware makers and Top Software Companies? Nothing happened right?

Hopefully this nothing but just a rumor as well.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
This was my immediate emotional response.

Sony treading on sacred PC gaming ground here if the news is true. Civilization, XCOM, Railroad Tycoon, Pirates.

Fuck outta here Sony.
Holy crap, this is worse than I thought, Sid Meier making console exclusives, this simply can not happen

Oct 31, 2017
Sony is buying someone and it'll be large I don't know why people are shocked. T2 has been rumored for years.

I'll agree with this especially if FAANG gets serious about gaming. Sony has to protect gaming as it's been a one of their core pillars. Buying a huge publisher helps them protect themselves for the long term.

This would also force Microsoft to allocate more capital to gaming. You guys shouldn't think for a second that if Google gets serious about gaming that Amazon won't follow suit right away. Netflix is getting more and more interactive. Facebook, Amazon, Google (and Microsoft) are not shy about spending and they definitely have the wherewithal to buy anyone in the game industry if they want to disrupt this industry.

I see consolidation in the future of gaming and further consolidation in movies. Music industry went from Big 6 in 98 to 3 + indies. Movies have been consolidating with a couple more of the soon to be Big 5 + Lionsgate + MGM still prime to being acquired. Gaming hasn't gone through that yet, but I think it's inevitable if these huge tech giants and media corporations start getting in it in a serious manner.

Buying Japanese publishers is a bit trickier due to the laws in Japan. Still doable, but you can't just lay people off over there after an acquisition AFAIK.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Exactly. Sony and Nintendo are so much worse when it comes to exclusivity than Microsoft, Microsoft might end up making games Windows Store exclusives but that's about it, you'll still be able play on PC, they're even starting to put their games on Steam now as well.

Exclusives is really the only thing that separates these consoles outside of specs. If all games were on all platforms what sense would that make for Sony or Nintendo?

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
The tone in this thread is completely opposite to the Xbox/Gearbox thing.

I wonder if the tone would change if it was Microsoft who was rumored to pick them up instead.
Its baffling and embarrassing.

let's not pretend the tone in this thread is vastly dissimilar from when the rumor showed up about MS buying EA. Or if a rumor happened about MS buying the likes of Capcom.

Sigh.

s3ltz3r

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Where there's smoke...there's usually fire. It makes perfect sense, and it would be huge....but we'll see.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Sony and Nintendo have no reason to help another platform just because (Sony will rarely put some of their smaller stuff on Steam though), it's just more software sales that weaken their platform overall. MS have a vested interest in growing their presence on PC.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I'll agree with this especially if FAANG gets serious about gaming. Sony has to protect gaming as it's been a one of their core pillars. Buying a huge publisher helps them protect themselves for the long term.

This would also force Microsoft to allocate more capital to gaming. You guys shouldn't think for a second that if Google gets serious about gaming that Amazon won't follow suit right away. Netflix is getting more and more interactive. Facebook, Amazon, Google (and Microsoft) are not shy about spending and they definitely have the wherewithal to buy anyone in the game industry if they want to disrupt this industry.

I see consolidation in the future of gaming and further consolidation in movies. Music industry went from Big 6 in 98 to 3 + indies. Movies have been consolidating with a couple more of the soon to be Big 5 + Lionsgate + MGM still prime to being acquired. Gaming hasn't gone through that yet, but I think it's inevitable if these huge tech giants and media corporations start getting in it in a serious manner.

Buying Japanese publishers is a bit trickier due to the laws in Japan. Still doable, but you can't just lay people off over there after an acquisition AFAIK.
Ahh I thought I'd catch you on the other forum (non gaming side, Etcetera)!

Sony can't successfully compete in all of their sectors. If they even stumble with the PS5, that's it. Not a fan of Yoshida but he's even aware. Sony is going to be an entertainment company going forward. And they need to be proactive because Comcast, Disney, Google, Apple are coming. And have capital to spend.

Oct 31, 2017
Ahh I thought I'd catch you on the other forum (non gaming side, Etcetera)!

Sony can't successfully compete in all of their sectors. If they even stumble with the PS5, that's it. Not a fan of Yoshida but he's even aware. Sony is going to be an entertainment company going forward. And they need to be proactive because Comcast, Disney, Google, Apple are coming. And have capital to spend.

Yep. And Amazon. Amazon takes their time, but when they launch they launch with a bang. Sony cannot afford to be reactive. I wouldn't be surprised - at all - if they buy a big publisher.

OldBritBloke

Oct 28, 2017
This seems extremely unlikely to me, although it's been amusing to finally see a 'Sony about to buy giant thing X' rumour after so many generations of (equally unlikely) 'Microsoft about to buy giant thing Y' rumours.

But what if this whole thing was just misdirection? Keeping everyone looking the other way whilst Sony quietly completed their acquisition of Insomniac...

Oct 31, 2017
This seems extremely unlikely to me, although it's been amusing to finally see a 'Sony about to buy giant thing X' rumour after so many generations of (equally unlikely) 'Microsoft about to buy giant thing Y' rumours.

But what if this whole thing was just misdirection? Keeping everyone looking the other way whilst Sony quietly completed their acquisition of Insomniac...

This is not a covert operation. Why would they need to do that to acquire IGs? They already tried and Ted Price said no. Maybe he changed his mind.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

It's funny you mention misdirection as I was thinking that earlier about the CD Project Red videos Sony had put out recently. I was wondering if that might have been done to make people think something was up there when instead something was up here.

Well... That is unless Sony buys both Take Two and CDPR 😜

Anyways, say this happens, putting aside 2k and Rockstar for the moment how do things go with other IP like Borderlands? I know Take Two are publishers, but they don't own Gearbox, do they? Who owns the Borderlands IP? Would Sony be able to tell Gearbox what to do?

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Edit: I confused two companies in my head. Sorry, taking antibiotics and they have been making my head feel funny. Dont mind me.

Last edited:

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Man to have Sony's money back Take-Two would be insane. But as much I love Take-Two and Sony, is this a good purchase? My fanboyism aside, Take-Two doesn't seem really profitable. Just getting another studio to make unique exclusives doesn't really seem to be good purchase on Sony's side. This is more of a win for fans, but they are so niche that I doubt the company would bring people to PlayStation consoles. There needs to be more to this story.

... GTA and Red Dead are niche? Did you forget a /s at the end of your post? 😀

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MS paid 1Billion dollars for Minecraft... and I bet they aren't anywhere close to recouping that money spent. Granted they have that game everywhere, they paid that price at it's height and I still dont think it was worth it even though it's contributed massively to their good PR spin with crossplay. etc.
Now Sony buying Take Two... all those brands under their belt..
I wonder what half of them would do in movie form, should they choose to do that.
Bioshock the movies, Ken Levine's involvment.. I can just imagine. Not to mention GTA-esque franchises etc. It'd certainly make Sony a huge player in the entertainment sector in the US. It only makes sense if they can make a profit, and a massive one at that in the long term. But there's no denying... they'd become a huge player in the entertainment landscape overnight... and that fits the direction Kenichiro Yoshida has stated he wants to go towards.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I spend 95% of my gaming time on PlayStation, but I don't really dig these acquisitions unless a company is about to go under or something. Even then, I'd prefer some kind of contract than an acquisition. The more independent studios and publishers, the better.

Man to have Sony's money back Take-Two would be insane. But as much I love Take-Two and Sony, is this a good purchase? My fanboyism aside, Take-Two doesn't seem really profitable. Just getting another studio to make unique exclusives doesn't really seem to be good purchase on Sony's side. This is more of a win for fans, but they are so niche that I doubt the company would bring people to PlayStation consoles. There needs to be more to this story.

6cf.gif

Take-Two owns GTA and Red Dead. Those IPs alone put them at a colossal status within the industry.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I spend 95% of my gaming time on PlayStation, but I don't really dig these acquisitions unless a company is about to go under or something. Even then, I'd prefer some kind of contract than an acquisition. The more independent studios and publishers, the better.

Wut?

Take-Two owns GTA and Red Dead. Those IPs alone put them at a colossal status within the industry.
I'm a idiot. Dont mind me. For some reason I confused take-two with double fine.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Not sure if answered already, but does Sony even have that kind of liquidity to outright buy Take Two?

From the back and forth in this thread, yes it looks like they do. It would be a monstrous investment though, far larger than any acquisition Sony has made in its history but it looks like they have the means.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Can someone explain to me how there's a 35 page thread off of rumor/speculation where the writer of the initial story said he has no sources and that there's actual no information at this time? Has something else happened that I missed?

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I wonder what it's like to be a normal employee in a studio at Sony or Take Two when a rumor like this hits. Excitement? Fear? The normal employee has no clue if these rumors are true or not.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
Some people wrote that this might force Microsoft to also make big acquisitions to counter this. But is this really true? Right now, Sony is the market leader, and Microsoft already struggles immensely with keeping up.

And while Microsoft has acquired a few smaller studios, I get the impression that they don't want to become like Sony (creating many, expensive AAA blockbusters) in order to win, but that they are looking at alternative ways to increase their user numbers/profits (streaming/subscriptions). Why? Because Sony's way is expensive and also because it would be very difficult to surpass them at something Sony is so good at. That's why they want to disrupt the market.

By acquiring Take-Two, Sony basically becomes unbeatable. They will have the best exclusive game lineup, period. How is Microsoft going to compete with that? A company that was already very hesitant to invest a lot of money because they thought that the ROI wasn't that great? The answer is, they can't. They would have to spent countless billions just for a chance of keeping up. And I don't think that's good enough for Microsoft. That's why I think that this could lead to Microsoft investing less into gaming, not more.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
I doubt it very much, but if by some miracle it is real, Sony must be desperate to get Take-Two IPs. After the statements by the Sony's president saying that they want to be a content company (in the same style of Amazon and Netflix), they should be behind IPs to make series, games, movies and so on.

More or less what happened when Disney went running to buy Fox to have content for their upcoming streaming service. In the matter of games, buying an Insomniac or even Rockstar alone would already make the noise that Sony seeks. Take-Two as a whole is in another level.

abady-25

Oct 27, 2017
Edit: I confused two companies in my head. Sorry, taking antibiotics and they have been making my head feel funny. Dont mind me.

Confirmed: Grand Theft Auto 5 breaks 6 sales world records

Guinness World Records can today confirm that the launch of Grand Theft Auto V has broken six new world records including the Highest revenue generated by an entertainment product in 24 hours and the Fastest entertainment property to gross $1 billion.

GTA V is the most profitable entertainment product of all time

The site reports that with 90 million sales worldwide, and $6 billion in revenue, GTA V is the "most financially successful media title of all time". While the report primarily makes comparisons with film, this almost certainly encompasses books, music and other entertainment products as well.

The $6 billion revenues, for example, is far past the $4 billion achieved by best-selling films such as Star Wars and Gone With The Wind (adjusted for inflation, and adding DVD sales to the $3 billion box office receipts).

Even the highest grossing film of all time - James Cameron's Avatar, which made $2.8 billion - fails to match even half the money taken by Grand Theft Auto.

edit :
i didn't notice
that you edited your comment i was late XD

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From the back and forth in this thread, yes it looks like they do. It would be a monstrous investment though, far larger than any acquisition Sony has made in its history but it looks like they have the means.
Huh.

If Sony had that kind of money, I wish they'd just spend that expanding their studios so that they'll all be Take Two in scope rather than outright buying them.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Im talking about their profit made from the Minecraft brand alone. They haven't made a billion dollars off that I. P yet, I think.
Last I heard, they made that money easily back. Minecraft is beyond gaming since a few years, merchandising is a huge factor. It was an awesome acquisition by Microsoft in hindsight and it made them a truckload of money. The game is also nearly on anything that can compute and is still selling.

Status
Not open for further replies.