• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Credit to TraumaRN for posting the video

Maybe it's the wishful thinking in me, but I thought this could use its own thread so as to not bog down the next gen thread. HipHopGamer apparently has breaking news that the PS5 will introduce a remastering engine for PS1 to PS4 backwards compatibility. Here's his video detailing it.

While he seems very confident in his news, as always take this with a grain of salt until we get more confirmation. At the very least I suppose we could discuss the possibilities.

EDIT.
For additional context: (Thanks PLASTICA-MAN )

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I joked that Bluepoint was doing back-compatibility stuff since their teasing was so scattershot / referenced a ton of different games.

I still think it's a joke.

EDIT: I listened to 4 minutes of this. Tapping out. Can someone listen to the the entire 17 minutes and give us a one sentence TL;DW (if there's even a single sentence of anything meaningful in there, since nothing has been interesting at all so far)?

Last edited:

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I joked that Bluepoint was doing back-compatibility stuff since their teasing was so scattershot / referenced a ton of different games.

Bluepoint's PlayStation.

I'd imagine something like that would require a much bigger team than just Bluepoint wouldn't it?

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017

Tightening tin-foil,
it all makes sense, they've done a tremendous job remastering MGS2 for example and they used the retail disc as a starting point...

KeyGrossCondor-size_restricted.gif

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
To back-up what has already been said:

what if PS5 allows automatic upgrades for old games , resolution, AA, AI improved textures and even reshade type of ray tracing by default? Wow this could be a killer BC.

Edit: Btw, the first like, the trophy detection system coincides with the date HHG mentioned.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
HipHopGamer and his championship belt are full of shit usually and probably building a narrative around what we know.

Crotin

May 6, 2018
I remember HipHopGamer from the early N4G days. With that said, I'd take this with a microscopic grain of salt. He was banned from the forum for not having credible sources and constantly posting controversial titles like "Sony _______, Microsoft doomed?".

TibimusPrime

Nov 26, 2017
I would not put any thought into HHG tbh. Because he would frequently make clickbait and make up news stories whenever and wherever he posts. When he get's banned, he basically starts accusing of being racist for not hosting his material.

i would absolutely NOT trust him to have any kind of sources, like at all.

Johannes

Oct 28, 2017
The last time I remember about reading HHG was when Uncharted 2 reviews hit online. I think he gave it 100/10 or something like that. He seemed likable person on the videos but does he have connections within the industry to know these kind of stuff?

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
To back-up what has already been said:

what if PS5 allows automatic upgrades for old games , resolution, AA, AI improved textures and even reshade type of ray tracing by default? Wow this could be a killer BC.

The first two sound a lot like stuff done for the PS2 remasters on PS4. The third sounds like stuff done for PS4 BC on PS5, perhaps.

In other words, I don't think anything there backs up the idea of some kind of BC wonder-engine.

The speculation I see around that always seems like fantasy stuff. Unfortunately. Don't expect anything more than PS4 BC imo.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watched the first half of the video and what he's saying doesn't even make sense. Gaikai has nothing to do with emulating older generation titles - they were purchased for their streaming tech.

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I'd remove "rumor" from the title. This is pure speculation.

Well to be fair it's been rumored since Sony's patents on the subject were discovered. Plus Patrick Klepek made statements to this effect earlier in 2019, about the PS5 being all about history, or some such.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
You clicked
I clicked
He clicked, son!
You a source?
I'm a source?
He a source? None.

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Does this guy have a bad track record then with this kinda stuff? Made my way through most of the video. "Everything everywhere" doesn't make sense if this is a PS5 thing? Unless Gaikai is used for remote play and lets you stream games from there instead of having the PS5 on?

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I guess i am the only one who doesn't care about backwards compatibility at all. The games i play and finish, im done with them.

OptiveLink

Oct 25, 2017
How the fuck would this even work???
Also I don't care about PS1 dammit gimme my dot.hack in HD

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Does this guy have a bad track record then with this kinda stuff? Made my way through most of the video. "Everything everywhere" doesn't make sense if this is a PS5 thing? Unless Gaikai is used for remote play and lets you stream games from there instead of having the PS5 on?

PS5 hardware will be utilized for PS Now, so that would play into that tag line.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
It's something they should do for sure. BC for the preceding platform isn't that big of a selling point for new hardware but BC for all preceding platforms coupled with a robust digital storefront for those games could be big.

Let me just play LSD on PS5 at 8k.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
It gets even funnier towards the end where he claims the system will be able to read all previous gen discs cause the "gpu has 3 settings built within the system so it can recognize what generation is being played, even from a disc!"

giphy.gif

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
Wow. This 9tf vs 12tf thing is bringing the champions out in full force.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I guess i am the only one who doesn't care about backwards compatibility at all. The games i play and finish, im done with them.
Not everyone has played every game, though. BC for me has nothing to do with replaying games, it's for playing old games for the first time. I hate when a game I interested in isn't easily accessible.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
As mentioned by Killthee, the part that really killed me was when he mentions that the gpu has 3 settings and that somehow impacts the ability to read different disks.

There's speculation and then there's talking out of your ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.