• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I wonder, do you think it would be possible to have a DC Charcter into Mortal Kombat as DLC?. I think that would make sense for certain charcters

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I forget the user's name, but the first person to publicly mention the names Cetrion and Kollector insinuated on Reddit that Joker was going to be a DLC character.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I have also heard rumours regarding Terminator and Spawn but nothing concrete. Terminator in my opinion is fairly likely. Spawn less so

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
vlcsnap-2019-03-07-22h18m24s284.png

Cetrion is probably an Elder God

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I forget the user's name, but the first person to publicly mention the names Cetrion and Kollector insinuated on Reddit that Joker was going to be a DLC character.
There's also been rumblings that the Joker will be based on the New 52 Death in the Family Version. Not sure if those rumors are true though:

ecbf870bd7aa6a3806f0ef52c88e069a.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
Somebody else from the story trailer. Erron Black/Kotal Kahn/Liu Kang/Kitana. But, not Frost/Cetrion/Jax/Noob Saibot. I think they will be revealed closer to release.

Nov 18, 2017
Spawn, Terminator and Joker would be a downgrade from the horror movie villains featured in the previous games imho.

Terminator would be cool I guess, especially if it was an Arnie skin.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Really hard to top Jason along with Alien vs Predator though. Was probably gonna be a step down either way.

I really wish they would just bring the Alien and Predator into every game. If I wanted to blow my ten-year old mind, footage of them fighting in a Mortal Kombat game would probably be number 1 with a bullet.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really wish they would just bring the Alien and Predator into every game. If I wanted to blow my ten-year old mind, footage of them fighting in a Mortal Kombat game would probably be number 1 with a bullet.
NRS just need to go all the way and make a Horror themed fighting game with iconic Horror icons like the fangame Terrordrome.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
NRS just need to go all the way and make a Horror themed fighting game with iconic Horror icons like the fangame Terrordrome.

I don't ever see it happening, unfortunately, because it would probably be a licensing nightmare. Even more so if the Fox/Disney thing moves around IPs.

Last edited:

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
There are honestly only a handful of mainstream horror icons, and I don't think that's enough to carry a big budget fighting game in this day and age. As interesting as the game would be I just don't see it making financial sense for WB/NRS. Putting those types of characters in Mortal Kombat is the smartest thing they can do.

BurnKnuckle21

Nov 17, 2017
IMO Spawn would be the best guest character they've ever included. He's just perfect for MK. His pre-fight dialogue with Scorpion alone would be worth it. His fatalities and special move ideas are almost endless.

For anyone that isn't familiar with the character (specifically his comic incarnation), take a look at this thread by Reddit user CalicoLime to see some of his most badass and brutal moments:

https://www.reddit.com/r/respectthreads/comments/awmqlt/respect_spawn_spawn/

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are honestly only a handful of mainstream horror icons, and I don't think that's enough to carry a big budget fighting game in this day and age. As interesting as the game would be I just don't see it making financial sense for WB/NRS. Putting those types of characters in Mortal Kombat is the smartest thing they can do.
They could also use classic Universal Movie Horror icons reinterpreted even more ghoulish like Dracula, Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, The Mummy, Van Helsing, The Creature from the Black Lagoon, The Wolf Man, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, The Invisible Man, The Phantom of the Opera, etc...

Last edited:

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
They could also use classic Universal Movie Horror icons reinterpreted even more ghoulish like Dracula, Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, The Mummy, Van Helsing, The Creature from the Black Lagoon, The Wolf Man, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, The Invisible Man, The Phantom of the Opera, etc...

I think those kind of fall into a different enough sub-genre that they wouldn't mix well with ones like Freddy, Chucky, etc and would have a lesser appeal in the same game with the licensed ones.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think those kind of fall into a different enough sub-genre that they wouldn't mix well with ones like Freddy, Chucky, etc and would have a lesser appeal in the same game with the licensed ones.
They would mix well if you updated the classic characters tone and aesthitics to match the more modern horror characters.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
They would mix well if you updated the classic characters tone and aesthitics to match the more modern horror characters.

I think it could work in tone (think those old McFarlane's monster figures).
I just don't think it would be satisfying enough for the general audience who want it to be all the big licensed names. I think there would be too many people asking why they got all these "generic" monsters instead of the big name characters people want to see fight.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it could work in tone (think those old McFarlane's monster figures).
I just don't think it would be satisfying enough for the general audience who want it to be all the big licensed names. I think there would be too many people asking why they got all these "generic" monsters instead of the big name characters people want to see fight.
I think that would only comprise of a vocal minority, especially if they were able to secure most of the big licensed names.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I think that would only comprise of a vocal minority, especially if they were able to secure most of the big licensed names.

I think that would leave too many people wanting to make it worthwhile. I mean, I love the classic monsters, and I'd love to see their take. I'd buy it. But I think we just have different views of how the wider audience would respond.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think that would leave too many people wanting to make it worthwhile. I mean, I love the classic monsters, and I'd love to see their take. I'd buy it. But I think we just have different views of how the wider audience would respond.
I think most would be happy a game like this happened in the first place, instead of the alternative of it never happening.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Uhmmm, how about no guest characters?
As an MK fan, I will always ask this...

... but they don't sell NEARLY as much as guest characters.

And Boon's right. MK fans will buy an MK game, but putting in non-MK characters - like Alien or Jason or Freddy - has fans of those franchises who wouldn't typically buy the game buy it for the chance to play as a Predator or Leatherface, etc.

Last edited:

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I think most would be happy a game like this happened in the first place, instead of the alternative of it never happening.

Seeing the behavior and reactions to the current MK roster and those characters potentially left out, I don't really share the same optimism. Never underestimate the masses' ability to be dissatisfied, especially in terms of understanding the difficulty of licensing (see MvCI).

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
And what instead? Highly requested Mortal Kombat characters in a Mortal Kombat game? What a crazy idea.
I know, right?

As an MK fan, I will always ask this...

... but they don't sell NEARLY as much as guest characters.

And Boon's right. MK fans will buy an MK game, but putting in non-MK characters - like Alien or Jason or Freddy - has fans of those fans who wouldn't typically buy the game buy it for the chance to play as a Predator or Leatherface, etc.

Yes, you're right, games will sell a lot better with guests but I just don't like it. I feel it "cheapens" the whole product, if it makes any sense.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seeing the behavior and reactions to the current MK roster and those characters potentially left out, I don't really share the same optimism. Never underestimate the masses' ability to be dissatisfied, especially in terms of understanding the difficulty of licensing (see MvCI).
You're comparing what would be a landmark first crossover Horror fighting game with no expectations to an over 25 year old franchise that's on it's 11th mainline game with plenty of fan expectations and comparing them as if the response would be remotely the same. Perhaps I'm naive, but I think the vast majority would be hype it's even happening at all. Now when the sequel comes around is when I think you'd be right. LOL

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
You're comparing what would be a landmark first crossover Horror fighting game with no expectations to an over 25 year old franchise that's on it's 11th mainline game with plenty of fan expectations and comparing them as if the response would be remotely the same. Perhaps I'm naive, but I think the vast majority would be hype it's even happening at all. Now when the sequel comes around is when I think you'd be right. LOL

I understand the difference, and I do think there would be similar reactions. With MK, for a 25 year old franchise with more characters than could ever imaginably fit in one game, you'd think people would understand a lot of favorites are going to be left out, and be OK with that given the situation, but that's not what you see. Tons of people complaining about their favorites deserving of a spot over others, complaints about wasted spots, people hounding the devs etc. People have unrealistic expectations for rosters for fighters, and they certainly wouldn't let licensing stop them from wishlisting such a game. The unrealistic roster expectation for a horror game is probably one reason why NRS is content getting one-off guests licensed for one MK game when they can as opposed to trying get them all together to make a horror game.

If they were to do a horror themed fighter and had characters like say Jason, Freddy, Leatherface, etc the expectation for similar specific movie IP characters would be set. Mummy, Dracula, Werewolf, etc are character archetypes to most people, and those tropes have been done many times over in fighters. I can't think of a scenario where people would not be disappointed to get a generic or NRS interpretation of mummy or vampire over a specific character like Pinhead, Meyers, IT, Chucky and the like. People are going to want movie/TV versions. I think they only way that might fly would be if they pulled stuff like the vampire from Fright Night or the wolf from an American Werewolf in London. Otherwise, I don't think it would satisfy people.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017

I know a lot of people don't like guests, and the NRS 2-year support/release cycle is frustrating for those who want longer support, but I can't argue both are smart and work well for them. The guests sell well, and people are super hyped up for the next game in the MK/Inj series 4 years after the previous one. They've got a good thing going, and I can't really see WB wanting them to change it up.

So no Shaggy...disappointed.
I know it's a meme, but I could actually see it happening for Injustice 3.