• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Call it Spyro the Dragon Returns. Please.

;-)

P.S. I second the call for keeping cute and cuddly Spyro. None of this angry, angsty BS please.

Rikucrafter

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Australia
It needs to! It is the best name and I will riot if they change it!!!!

/s
or not????

;D

The Gateway to Glimmer name is what got me into the Spyro series. I imagined a beautiful, fantastic and unexpected world of "glimmer." Not even I knew what that could imply as a wee little 5 year old.

Can't say I was disappointed whatsoever. God some of the worlds in Spyro are beautiful

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
More from the same guy:

DYUMdaVWkAAOxcE.jpg

Nov 18, 2017
I have fond memories of the demo of the first game, but never played the series itself. It seemed quite simple for a 3D platformer but it was an early level and it was just a pleasure to move around the world and relax in it.

If they can give the graphics a major overhaul (it will need more additional details than the Crash games) then I will be on board... but may wait it out for the Switch version if it follows the Crash schedule.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
;D

The Gateway to Glimmer name is what got me into the Spyro series. I imagined a beautiful, fantastic and unexpected world of "glimmer." Not even I knew what that could imply as a wee little 5 year old.

Can't say I was disappointed whatsoever. God some of the worlds in Spyro are beautiful
So what does it mean? English is not my first language, so I'm not sure if it's an euphemism or something.

stinkyguy666

Nov 4, 2017
But Glimmer was only the first "tutorial" level. I grew up with that name, but I feel "Ripto's Rage" encompasses more of the game overall.

ikr I'm surprised that so many people actually like that stupid name.

That's like if Mario 64 was called "Gateway to Bob-omb Battlefield" or something. Glimmer's such a small part of the game.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
The demo code has been plugged into the NST menu since day one. It's the same code that you could use in Crash: Warped to play the original Spyro in 1998 :)

EDIT: Clarification -- all it does on the current NST version is move your cursor to an invisible option.
Yeah, I was aware of that in the N. Sane Trilogy, but that could just be them paying homage to how the original demo was unlocked without ever leading to an actual new demo. So let's hope he's right.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, kill it with fire.

I'll say it again, I just don't want them to fuck with the music. Stewart Copeland did some godlike stuff.
They're gonna fuck with the music and we'll be there to witness it.
I don't understand why these devs don't hire the same composer for their remakes, same goes for Crash and Ratchet. Having the original OST plays a big role if they want to wee the nostalgia crowd.

Yoshi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I always felt that Spyro was among the weakest of the platformers of the time: The controls are clumsy (due to him not being bipedal) and the level design was not making leverage of the collectathon aspect in a sensible way as demonstrated by Mario 64 and perfected by Banjo-Kazooie. Strictly on PlayStation I definitely prefer the Crashs, Rayman 2 and Croc when it comes to 3D platformers. Still, due to my love for the genre I will probably buy the collection when it releases on Xbone or Switch.

Brinksman

Oct 25, 2017
ikr I'm surprised that so many people actually like that stupid name.

That's like if Mario 64 was called "Gateway to Bob-omb Battlefield" or something. Glimmer's such a small part of the game.

Back in 1999, it sounded so evocative out of context, pleasantly alliterative and full of wonder. Then I played the game and realised how dumb it really was, and probably not thought through, although it did its job, heh. If they'd nameswapped Glimmer and Avalar it would work but we're only twenty years too late for that.

Stilton Disco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Hot damn this is exciting! Easily my favourite 3D/Mascot Platformer ever, cannot wait to be able to do my semi regular replays with shiny new graphics!

Ooh, thinking about, I really hope they have HDR support. That bright colour palette would be divine with it!

Nov 2, 2017
I dont think this trilogy has nostalgia like Crash to sell great like Crash remake did. Also these games are open and very big which kind of puts many players off playing this. If it was CTR then it would have been great instead of this.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AAAAAAAAAAAA

the only remake ive ever wanted, these games were my childhood. This is gonna be so good, fuck

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I always felt that Spyro was among the weakest of the platformers of the time: The controls are clumsy (due to him not being bipedal) and the level design was not making leverage of the collectathon aspect in a sensible way as demonstrated by Mario 64 and perfected by Banjo-Kazooie. Strictly on PlayStation I definitely prefer the Crashs, Rayman 2 and Croc when it comes to 3D platformers. Still, due to my love for the genre I will probably buy the collection when it releases on Xbone or Switch.
With all due respect, what you say about Spyro is exactly my sentiments towards Croc.

Now THAT's a game that hasn't aged well, at all.

I dont think this trilogy has nostalgia like Crash to sell great like Crash remake did. Also these games are open and very big which kind of puts many players off playing this. If it was CTR then it would have been great instead of this.
I think there'll be a boost in sales from the demographic who knew Spyro from Skylanders, he was pushed as the center of things in the games and most notably the cartoon.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
The same thing was said about crash before it did its thing. Be prepared to eat crow.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ive seen more Spyro love in my time than Crash, but theyre probably a lot more equivalent than people think.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With all due respect, what you say about Spyro is exactly my sentiments towards Croc.

I think there'll be a boost in sales from the demographic who knew Spyro from Skylanders, he was pushed as the center of things in the games and most notably the cartoon.
The only thing i dread is putting the ugly ass skylanders design for him in the remasters. Please make him cute again :/

Yoshi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Croc has tank controls, I suppose thanks to being developed in parallel to Mario 64 rather than later and the PlayStation not having an analog stick. The tank controls are shit, absolutely, but the level design in Croc is much better than the level design in Spyro (I only know the first game, so strictly a comment on Spyro 1). Spyro has a lot of empty space and a lot of its content is not gated by challenges but paths you merely have to traverse instead. It's collectibles are not used to structure the levels at all, it always came off to me as a great misunderstanding of the purpose of collectibles in the front runners of the sub genre (Mario 64, Banjo).

Croc is not a collectathon, it is too linear for that, but the stuff youd o collect is sensibly placed either on the main path or as clearly visible extra challenges next to it. In fact, I think Croc could benefit greatly from a remake with proper Mario 64-style controls.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So are we expecting PS4 first and then other consoles after like Crash?
Pretty much guaranteed. If it does release sometime september like it was rumored, expect it for the Switch/PC/Xbone sometime September 2019.

I'll be triple dipping for Spyro: PS4 for the nostalgia, Switch for the portability, and PC for the ultimate performance. Can't fucking wait.

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Croc has tank controls, I suppose thanks to being developed in parallel to Mario 64 rather than later and the PlayStation not having an analog stick. The tank controls are shit, absolutely, but the level design in Croc is much better than the level design in Spyro (I only know the first game, so strictly a comment on Spyro 1). Spyro has a lot of empty space and a lot of its content is not gated by challenges but paths you merely have to traverse instead. It's collectibles are not used to structure the levels at all, it always came off to me as a great misunderstanding of the purpose of collectibles in the front runners of the sub genre (Mario 64, Banjo).

Croc is not a collectathon, it is too linear for that, but the stuff youd o collect is sensibly placed either on the main path or as clearly visible extra challenges next to it. In fact, I think Croc could benefit greatly from a remake with proper Mario 64-style controls.
I can't agree on the level design of Croc, it feels way too cramped and crowded, even more so than Crash and the tank controls even make it worse to move around said level design. And the levels themselves are not much else than meandering floating platforms with some dull puzzles here and there. With Spyro at least, you felt as though you were traversing through different worlds and each one had its own identity (something that I think did better than Mario 64) and gave a sense of progression that I thought was great unlike Croc which feels like you're going though door to door to door.

And the character Croc himself is basically Not-Yoshi.

Status
Not open for further replies.