• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
www.thegamer.com

Report: Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order To Launch On PS5 This Friday

The next-gen upgrade will launch on the same day it's officially announced.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order's PS5 release is this Friday, according to a source speaking to TheGamer. EA has remained tightlipped on any specific dates so far, but this latest news reveals the publisher will be shadow dropping the upgrade to players in just two days.

According to a source from a UK video game retailer, stores have today received physical copies of Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order on PS5, and have been told by the head office that there will be an "announcement and release" on June 11, this Friday.

Previously, all we have been told from official channels is that the next-gen upgrade would get a summer release. This however isn't the only time a retailer has shed more light on when we'd be getting the upgraded version of the 2019 hit. Last month, Brazillian retailers listed the release date as June 26. This appears to have been pushed forward, with a large UK retailer now prepping for a June 11 release, as set out by its higher management.

This news also confirms that the upgrade will get a physical relaunch. Anyone who already owns the game and a PS5 console will not have to buy the game again, as it has been confirmed that there will be a free next-gen upgrade. This physical launch will just be for those who missed Jedi: Fallen Order during its original run on PS4 and now own a PS5.

EA does not currently have any events scheduled for June 11, in which it could announce this shadow drop. It's possible that this too will be a last-minute surprise - or alternatively, it could just be announced via social media.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I didn't realize this hadn't come out already. I finished the platinum just before the announcement. I don't think I would go back to it, but I really liked this game and hope other people will give it a go - especially if they were sheepish about the console performance.

Edit: Oh, hmm, maybe I'm confusing this with a next-gen patch to the PS4 version?

Friender

Sep 27, 2020
Awesome! Fingers cross some extras are released alongside it, maybe a new mode or level or something.

OP
OP
Slash

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
I didn't realize this hadn't come out already. I finished the platinum just before the announcement. I don't think I would go back to it, but I really liked this game and hope other people will give it a go - especially if they were sheepish about the console performance.

Edit: Oh, hmm, maybe I'm confusing this with a patch to the PS4 version?

Yeah, this is a completely native PS5 version- not the PS4 patch that came out last year.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
god, I can only imagine playing Fallen Order at a stable frame rate

one day...

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
Finished it at launch, might check it out again. Did they add/fix anything with patches since release?

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Isn't this game already on EA Play? Works out cheaper just buying a month of that instead seeing how it's a free upgrade.

Jan 13, 2020
I thought Series X|S already had the patch? Mine has had the optimised watermark on the thumbnail for ages and runs at 60fps when it never used to.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I wonder if there will ever be a version that doesn't stutter frequently, especially between areas.

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'll be honest - the rate at which devs are pumping out must-play new-gen upgrades is really just a backdoor backlog, and it's sorta pissing me off.

Kidding!.....sorta.

Hoodie Season

Jun 17, 2020
i could not imagine playing this game again. clunky af combat and clearly rushed out the door
I felt similarly on the clunkiness when I played it on my PS4 Pro. The story kept me going but if not for that I would have dropped the game for sure.

Tried it again when they patched it for next gen consoles with a better frame rate, and it's so much better it's not even close. I ended up getting the platinum on PS5 because it runs that much better, I couldn't put the game down. Whereas I hated the combat while playing on PS4, I loved it on PS5. Especially the parrying.

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
I played this on a base PS4, but without any new content, I don't think I'll feel any great need to take it up again on PS5. I hope it gets a sequel, I did think it was great (except for some navigation irritations on one world).

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I felt similarly on the clunkiness when I played it on my PS4 Pro. The story kept me going but if not for that I would have dropped the game for sure.

Tried it again when they patched it for next gen consoles with a better frame rate, and it's so much better it's not even close. I ended up getting the platinum on PS5 because it runs that much better, I couldn't put the game down. Whereas I hated the combat while playing on PS4, I loved it on PS5. Especially the parrying.
I played it at 60fps on PC at launch and also thought the game felt clunky and half finished. The second trip to the wookie planet where you ride the bird or whatever, to the end of the game, was bad IMO.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
On the one hand, this would be great news. On the other hand, that's way too many games this Friday lol (and only one I'm paying for !)

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Hmm played it on Xbox and was left unimpressed, but as this is a next gen version I'm tempted. Trouble is, Ratchet and FFVII... And I'm just starting out playing Star Wars Galaxies Restoration..All of a sudden there's too many choices.

Demon_Ice

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
Have they announced what exactly will be improved in this version? I'm expecting 4k60 minimum.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018

Could you elaborate on this at all?

Obviously 60 FPS without that drop to 1080p will be a benefit, but did they really patch the wonky collision/traversal and general jankiness?

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nice. I haven't started it on series X yet but looking forward to it. Glad the ps5 version can get an upgrade too.

Oct 25, 2017
A game that sorely needs a fast travel option added to it once the main story is completed but will never get one.

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
I bought the PS4 version on the cheap and left it there, waiting for this day to finally play it. Just a few days away for this upgrade would be amazing for me.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
FF7 PS5, Ratchet & Clank, this, I'm already exhausted and overwhelmed with exiting stuff to play and E3 hasn't even started. 🤯

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
On Series X in the game library, Fallen Order was moved to Series X Enhanced section and given the X/S tag on the cover art image. This happened to me yesterday. No patch was downloaded that I could see though.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Literally wondering last night when this version would be releasing. Definitely will be giving this game a replay.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Im honestly intrigued by what this version will offer above the resolution and framerate bump that we already got in January

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
They have to make a native PS5 version for it to work I'm assuming. The Series X can be upgraded through a patch. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Damn that's a bit counter productive. Likely due to the lack of BC architecture. Still its awesome they went the full mile, I wonder how extensive the updates are.

Joo

May 25, 2018
I was pretty sure Fallen Order was upgraded for Series X a couple of months ago.
Both PS5 and Series X got a resolution and frame rate bump a couple months ago. Series X got a bigger upgrade then because it's not constrained by the last gen version with patches, like PS5 is.

Basically it still was just a minor update to the last gen versions, but this is a more substantial next-gen version. It'll be on XSX also and a free update to current owners of the last gen version.

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
This month will be awesome.

I already got the platinum for FF7R and Jedi Fallen Order, but would totally replay them on the PS5.

Add Ratchet and Metro Exodus (bought but never played) to the list.

Nama

A Big Deal
Nov 2, 2017
So yeah at Target I hot 5 copies of Ps5 version sitting in backstore room came in yesterday. In our system it's tagged as releasing Dec 31st.