• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
You don't need a reimagining, the first is great. Maybe change the art style a bit, like make the sabers looks older like Kylo Ren's or have a more exciting battle system. I don't want Kotor without some of the same voice actors like Jennifer Hale or Refaell Farerr, except recasting Canderous John Cygan (RIP) A remake is what fans want and make some changed to fit in the new canon.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the first two so i'm very happy we finally get a sequel, of sorts. With it taking stuff from both games the most important things are the characters so i hope both Revan and Kreia will get lots of screen time. Really hope this is true.

StiLteD

Nov 11, 2017
London
Yeah I'm liberally salting my food so as not to get too hyped for this one.

Got to say though, if it's likely that Bioware won't be involved it makes me more hopeful that this turns out to be true. Bee Dubya has burned a lot of my faith this gen.

Be ace to see what a newer hungrier studio might spit out with the IP.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Would much rather prefer the later in the OP with a sequel of sorts instead of a straight up remake. Why does everything need to be remade? Focus on original story ideas, borrowing gameplay cues and nods from what made the predecessors successful if needed.
Kotor is almost 20 years old now and people want to replay it but with modern techonlogy, making the world more alive, and maybe reintroducing it to their kid. It shouldn't be hard to understand

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018
KOTOR 2 is better game out of the two tho.

Shame it's yet another Obsidian game where they were forced to do crunch dev cycle and shove it out unfinished.

KotOR 2 has worse story, worse writing, much worse characters and it even manages to have worse gameplay despite KotOR 1 having poor gameplay to start with. If it was finished properly it would still be only average.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
KotOR 2 has worse story, worse writing, much worse characters and it even manages to have worse gameplay despite KotOR 1 having poor gameplay to start with. If it was finished properly it would still be only average.

KOTOR 2's writing FAR surpasses KOTOR 1. I mean, I can see the appeal of KOTOR 1, I just played both of them recently in fact, there's a certain charm to KOTOR 1 with the environments and everything that actually makes it difficult for me to choose which one I like more but KOTOR 2's writing has a level of complexity and nuance that KOTOR 1 simply does not. Kreia might be the best character in all of Star Wars.

venom slime

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Lisbon, Portugal
I would welcome a new game or a (single player) sequel of sorts. That's my preferred scenario. Remake or reimagining (which can mean a lot of things), sure, I could live with that too I guess. At any rate, it depends a lot on who will work on it assuming this is true. Been replaying Kotor 2 recently. I don't know if it holds up or if I have a high tolerance to its issues, but I'm having a blast. Eager to see if this turns out to be real.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
When EA confirmed they were going to begin work on "fan favourite remakes", while everyone else was thinking MASS EFFECT!!! I was always wishing for KoTOR =D

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Totally down if they put the current Bioware studio doing The Old Republic in charge of it. They've proven to be competent storytellers.

Absolutely. it's a fantastic follow up to Kotor 2. And they really dare to do some crazy shit with the universe, especially in the expansions.

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018
KOTOR 2's writing FAR surpasses KOTOR 1. I mean, I can see the appeal of KOTOR 1, I just played both of them recently in fact, there's a certain charm to KOTOR 1 with the environments and everything that actually makes it difficult for me to choose which one I like more but KOTOR 2's writing has a level of complexity and nuance that KOTOR 1 simply does not. Kreia might be the best character in all of Star Wars.

As I recall its pretentious overwritten edgy piffle hammering its trite points with the subtlety and nuance of a sledgehammer.

Complexity isn't inherently a virtue. KotOR 1 benefits from telling a simple and honest Star Wars story rather than drowning its storytelling in faux-profundity.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
With how many Star Wars video game projects went public and then cancelled, I'll wait until getting excited.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
I'm ready for canon Revan.

Wasn't he technically made canon in
Rise of Skywalker? The Visual Dictionary?

I'm interested, but also agree that I don't want Bioware touching this. Respawn actually wouldn't be bad. Doesn't even necessarily need to be an RPG in my opinion.

I would love to have Avellone back, but I don't honestly think he would want to.

Jul 24, 2018
Wasn't he technically made canon in
Rise of Skywalker? The Visual Dictionary?

I'm interested, but also agree that I don't want Bioware touching this. Respawn actually wouldn't be bad. Doesn't even necessarily need to be an RPG in my opinion.

I would love to have Avellone back, but I don't honestly think he would want to.
He was on the writing for Fallen Order, pretty sure he'd love to write for Star Wars he just isn't interested in working with Obsidian again.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Going from the acclaimed series of Mass Effect to Andromeda and Anthem, only to have people hope you don't touch a new Star Wars game lmao

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Absolutely. it's a fantastic follow up to Kotor 2. And they really dare to do some crazy shit with the universe, especially in the expansions.
Agreed, I actually think the Emperor in SWTOR (in all his variations) is the best villain Star War's ever had. And having 8 classes meant they did fantastic stories in the Star Wars universe that would never have happened if it was a traditional single play sequel which would have just been the Jedi Knight story. And as someone who adores the Sith Warrior and Imperial Agent storyline it would be a shame to not have them.

Deleted member 60096

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2019
As long as the keep Bioware away from this, and a decent dev team does it I could be stoked for this. Just don't want no stress casualties in the making of my Kotor please.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
Jason Schreier mentioned Bioware Austin briefly working on a KOTOR project a while back, but said it had been put on ice. From November 2017:

What I've heard separately, from people familiar with goings-on at the studio, is that BioWare Austin did indeed play around with a Knights of the Old Republic prototype, but that it hasn't been greenlit and is not currently in development.

The article in the OP makes it sounds like this new rumor is a continuation of that project.

According to one, the previously mentioned Knights of the Old Republic remake is back in development. My other source added to that saying they felt it wasn't so much a remake, but a "sequel" of sorts. It would be a Knights of the Old Republic project that would integrate elements from the first two games in order to bring certain things into the current Star Wars canon. Not necessarily a remake, so much as a re-imagining.

Back in 2017, Liam Robertson called the project a "sort of remake/revival" which is pretty close to this new characterization. So this is likely Bioware Austin, and that seems like a good thing. They did, and are still doing, a great job with the Old Republic MMO.

how credible is the site in question?
Do not fully believe in Star Wars rumors unless it comes from Making Star Wars.
Has this site ever leaked something that was later confirmed?

If not, what are we even talking about :P

The writer is a well known Star Wars leaker. He's been pretty accurate in the past.

Project Luminous IS supposed to have a game attached to it. Granted Luminious supposedly takes place during the 'High Republic' era not the Old Republic. So who knows.
People should adjust their expectations. Project Luminous takes place in the high republic era and EA has a game coming out as part of that transmedia project.

Whoever is the source of this (if it's true at all), probably just got High Republic confused with Old Republic. Hence, the "reimagining", which is basically what the High Republic Era is.
KOTHR? (Project luminous)

The source article covers this. The author is well aware that there's also a High republic game in the works.

I've heard EA has a BUNCH of Star Wars projects in various stages of work at this point. From Jedi: Fallen Order sequels, the Project Luminous tie-in, to something on the Switch, there's a lot going on.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm really surprised EA is finally putting more work into the Star Wars license, maybe it was Fallen Order success greenlight?

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
If this is real, please keep Bioware away.

I'm glad people finally seem to be recognizing this, and I 100% agree.

I also can absolutely see EA doing it anyway despite whatever projects the various Bioware studios are working on.

If modern Bioware is working on it. I'll be skipping it. I don't think my heart can watch them break another great series.