• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
i completely forgot that i noticed they were hiring for KOTOR team a few months back, i wondered what was that for. Now that makes sense.

Jul 24, 2018
The Mandalorian Wars isn't canon so the actual interesting version of Revan from KOTOR2 most likely isn't canon either.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Really glad BioWare is most likely not involved. I'd rather they don't waster their time and resources on a rehash of an old game.

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
giphy.gif
FO problems are not the controls but technical issues. If we got the gameplay mechanics without falling through the floor, I'm golden.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I'm down for anything that gets this series going again. Ignoring TOR is the icing on the cake.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
This is obviously not what they're going to do, but I was always bummed we didn't go back to the old republic and it's like 20th century Earth-levels of technology. The whole game takes place exclusively on Coruscant and there's maybe a few space stations in orbit but they haven't been to other planets yet. The Jedi don't have kyber crystals so they're just magic assholes with normal swords.

I thought it would be cool at least.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
KotOR 2 has worse story, worse writing, much worse characters and it even manages to have worse gameplay despite KotOR 1 having poor gameplay to start with. If it was finished properly it would still be only average.

I think KotOR 2 has a great story, but I agree with you about Kreia being awful. Of all the good things to come out of that game, I can't believe people picked her. There's little complexity and nuance to a character who continuously whines that you're not being selfish and manipulative (her literal only motivating factor in dialogue). Jolee Bindo is a more well-realized version of that archetype.

Now the genius of the character of the Exile is something I will always defend, especially its clever way of letting the player define a backstory the character has already participated in through dialogue.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wish MS would cut a deal with Disney so Obsidian can have another crack at it with AAA funding behind it
Man I'd love if Obsidian was involved in this. Bioware is a shell of the studio that made the original KotOR, but Obsidian is still going strong
This is the best option for the game.

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018
Now the genius of the character of the Exile is something I will always defend, especially its clever way of letting the player define a backstory the character has already participated in through dialogue.

I agree that was interesting, but I found it difficult to comfortably roleplay when much of my character's past was still to be revealed.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm really surprised EA is finally putting more work into the Star Wars license, maybe it was Fallen Order success greenlight?

We know that a Jedi Fallen Order sequel is in development
We know EA Motive is working on a new Star Wars game
Battlefront 3 could've been a 2020 release but EA/DICE decided to keep support BF2.
And EA still has 3-4 years until the deal expires, they can still have 1-2 other SW games.

Jun 5, 2018
I'm not the biggest fan of every game getting a remake but this would make the list of must have games (providing they do it justice).

I've been waiting for a single player Star Wars RPG for so long that this has potential to be my favourite game of the decade however, I can't say I 100% trust this rumour so unless official confirmation shows it's face I'm not investing in this.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Another plus for EA and another downhill for Disney. Such a strange turn the Star Wars controversiathon took.

What I mean is, EA was the laughing stock because of their cancelled games and BF2's launch, while Disney were plowing ahead with Rogue One and TFA. Then TLJ came out and it was divisive, then ROS came out and it was generic crap.

And in that time Fallen Order came out and Battlefront 2 turned around, now Fallen Order 2 is underway, a rumored KOTOR revival and Disney just said they're rewriting their Obi Wan show.

It just feels like suddenly game-starwars is in a huge upswing and Disney's management is in a horrible state. They almost had no right to make that phonecall that allegedly got EA's grubbiest fingers off the brand, but I'm glad they did that.

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
It is almost impossible that they build a game of the scope of Kotor today so I have zero faith in any sort of reboot or new take on this.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Disney had better not lock up Star Wars to a single pub again after this shitshow. Make one-game or three-game deals and be done with it. EA has done very little to prove they even care that they have one of the most venerable IPs in modern culture with a storied history of amazing games to work with.

Counting down the days until this licensing contract expires

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
KOTOR is a Top 10 game for me but I'm firmly in "show & prove" mode before I can get excited. I've been hurt before and don't have the most confidence in Bioware or EA in general right now.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
I've got conflicted feelings on this. On one hand, it's nearly impossible they make it better or even as good as the original or the sequel. On the other hand, this is probably the only way we'll get a modern day Kotor game.

I just don't see the need for it to be a remake. The Kotor games are so far back that they can be made canon and not mess anything up that's already been done. They should have just done a 3rd game or a proper remake.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I wouldn't be opposed to a KotoR reboot. While it's one of my favorite series I still had issues with some aspects of it.

The biggest was the fact that the game didn't follow the more primitive visual style and technology shown in Tales of the Jedi which always bothered me. Giving it more of a unique identity and not looking like it was set just a few decades before the films would be a big plus. Also hated all the shitty Rakata and Star Forge nonsense which I'd love for them to drop.

If they made a game loosely pulling bits and pieces from KotoR to create something new and interesting that can establish a more unique visual style I'd be more than happy.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
This is at once exciting, and terrifying. A new KOTOR is one of my most wanted games ever that I was sure was never happening.
Is there even anyone today who could do it justice? Would it use D+D rules? I'd love to see a proof of concept before getting too excited (and I guess confirmation it's actually happening lol)

Oct 24, 2019
Disney had better not lock up Star Wars to a single pub again after this shitshow. Make one-game or three-game deals and be done with it. EA has done very little to prove they even care that they have one of the most venerable IPs in modern culture with a storied history of amazing games to work with.

Counting down the days until this licensing contract expires

Agreed. Disney's Marvel gaming division has the right idea. I remember Jay Ong saying that they don't commit to a project until they find the perfect pairing of an IP with a talented dev who is also passionate about that character.

That's what the Star Wars division should be doing too.

Oct 24, 2019
They were making JE2 immediately after the first one but because of underperformance they started moving on to other plans, which were DA and ME, and then EA bought them. I don't think it has the right market appeal, but maybe with more martial arts flicks in cinema it could be.

If any movie can reignite interest in martial arts movies on a grand scale, it'll be Shang Chi. Hopefully Jade Empire 2 can ride that wave!

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Agreed. Disney's Marvel gaming division has the right idea. I remember Jay Ong saying that they don't commit to a project until they find the perfect pairing of an IP with a talented dev who is also passionate about that character.

Definitely.

We probably would have at least a Star Wars Musou game from Koei Tecmo by now (if not something more ambitious), if this was more like how Marvel Games handled things.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
The Mandalorian Wars isn't canon so the actual interesting version of Revan from KOTOR2 most likely isn't canon either.
They're still canon, but as with most things Lucasfilm has brought back from Legends not many details are known about them yet. All we know is the Darksaber was stolen from the temple during this time and the final battle of the war is the reason modern day Mandalore is a barren wasteland.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA

In fairness, that's new for Marvel isn't it? Their stuff like Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Spider-Man were all exclusive to Activision until like 2014, a while after the Star Wars deal. So it's not like Marvel was way ahead of the game since they still had a deal like this when the EA Star Wars deal happened, right?

KrAzEd

Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Still can't believe we haven't gotten another KOTOR game in 16 years!!!!!!! It's guaranteed to make buckets of cash, EA's strategy was absolute dog shit. Rogue Squadron reimagining, KOTOR reimagining, Jedi Knight reimagining...easy money

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Be still my beating heart......

However, if Bioware are out I'd be interested to know who is making this.....that is if it is indeed real.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
Yes, but he had hinted in earlier tweets he had heard things. He's just confirming it by referencing this article. The guy is pretty reliable when it comes to Star Wars rumors.

Seriously, just look up who wrote this article mentioned by him. Jordan Maison is literally an author of the linked article. He's twitted a link to his own story.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
The tweet from a few posts ago confirms it's gonna be an attempt to redo KOTOR in a way so it fits in with the Disney canon. Probably this "high republic" nonsense.

Well, if it's good, then it's good. I hope they don't make dumb and unnecessary changes to the story.

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
The Visual Dictionary mentions that one of the Final Order's legions is named the Revan legion.

I think I remember another one being named after a character from The Force Unleashed.
To be clear this is information from outside the movie. (The TROS Visual Dictionary to be precise.) The Sith army is divided in legions and each one is named after a Sith Lord, one of them being Revan.
Ah that would be why. I only saw the movie. I have no idea what this dictionary thing is that you're referencing. Does that actually count as canon?