• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Another plus for EA and another downhill for Disney. Such a strange turn the Star Wars controversiathon took.

What I mean is, EA was the laughing stock because of their cancelled games and BF2's launch, while Disney were plowing ahead with Rogue One and TFA. Then TLJ came out and it was divisive, then ROS came out and it was generic crap.

And in that time Fallen Order came out and Battlefront 2 turned around, now Fallen Order 2 is underway, a rumored KOTOR revival and Disney just said they're rewriting their Obi Wan show.

It just feels like suddenly game-starwars is in a huge upswing and Disney's management is in a horrible state. They almost had no right to make that phonecall that allegedly got EA's grubbiest fingers off the brand, but I'm glad they did that.

I wouldn't say EA is doing that well. It took them years to release their first single player Star Wars and it's only good. Maybe very good if you're feeling particularly kind. It's a by the numbers game that is only better than that approach might have otherwise lead to because of the talented people involved.

And of course, KoTOR isn't exactly a plus right now. It's a rumored possible plus.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Id just want them to keep everything the same, except to expand the environments, redo the combat, and completely new graphics

if they replace voice actors I would be furious

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm does EA even have time to finish a project like this during the license?

Who says EA will lose the license?

No matter how people will try to spin it, both Battlefront 1 and 2 were successfull, EA boosting about sales to investors is a rare thing so when they did it's clear that they are satisfied and Jedi Fallen Order also sold really well and SWOTOR keeps getting updated, slowly sure, but it keeps making enough money to sustain itself and be profitable.

Who knows? EA has still 3-4 years and we know that they have AT LEAST 2 new Star Wars game (EA Motive and Jedi Fallen Order sequel).

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Jason Schreier mentioned Bioware Austin briefly working on a KOTOR project a while back, but said it had been put on ice. From November 2017:

The article in the OP makes it sounds like this new rumor is a continuation of that project.

Back in 2017, Liam Robertson called the project a "sort of remake/revival" which is pretty close to this new characterization. So this is likely Bioware Austin, and that seems like a good thing. They did, and are still doing, a great job with the Old Republic MMO.

The writer is a well known Star Wars leaker. He's been pretty accurate in the past.

The source article covers this. The author is well aware that there's also a High republic game in the works.

Ah thank you! I should've read the actual article. My bad. Exciting.

Oct 24, 2019
In fairness, that's new for Marvel isn't it? Their stuff like Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Spider-Man were all exclusive to Activision until like 2014, a while after the Star Wars deal. So it's not like Marvel was way ahead of the game since they still had a deal like this when the EA Star Wars deal happened, right?

Oh yeah, for sure. I believe that change in mantra came with Jay Ong being brought onboard to head up the gaming division. Until that point we were getting tons of shitty mobile games and movie tie-ins.

Ong spent a few years refocusing things and meeting with devs, and we're just now starting to see the fruits of his labors with Spider-Man, Ultimate Alliance 3, Avengers, and Iron Man VR. Not to mention the Guardians of the Galaxy game that eventually will be announced by Eidos Montreal and the untitled game that just got announced by Second Dinner a couple weeks ago.

Here's a pretty good interview with Ong from 2016:

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
After Anthem and Andromeda I find it hard to be excited about anything Bioware these days but third times a charm I suppose!

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of dubious when they mention integrating Sith Lords. I'm not sure anything there really needs integration. All of the obvious hooks that you want brought into canon for future use come from the first game. Sith Lords is so good because it's a long, deep dive into the philosophies of the force. That's not something you can just kind of graze and nip a few elements from.

yankeeh8er

Oct 26, 2017
Dracula Georgia

No matter how people will try to spin it, both Battlefront 1 and 2 were successfull, EA boosting about sales to investors is a rare thing so when they did it's clear that they are satisfied and Jedi Fallen Order also sold really well and SWOTOR keeps getting updated, slowly sure, but it keeps making enough money to sustain itself and be profitable.

Who knows? EA has still 3-4 years and we know that they have AT LEAST 2 new Star Wars game (EA Motive and Jedi Fallen Order sequel).
No one ever bring up Galaxy of Heroes when talking about the EA Star Wars game, but that game is great and also prints money.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Still can't believe we haven't gotten another KOTOR game in 16 years!!!!!!! It's guaranteed to make buckets of cash, EA's strategy was absolute dog shit. Rogue Squadron reimagining, KOTOR reimagining, Jedi Knight reimagining...easy money
Battlefront reimagining is easier.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
KotOR 2 has worse story, worse writing, much worse characters and it even manages to have worse gameplay despite KotOR 1 having poor gameplay to start with. If it was finished properly it would still be only average.
Hold. UP.
KotOR is my favorite game ever, but KotOR 2 is better written.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy

see my previous post

Last edited:

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of dubious when they mention integrating Sith Lords. I'm not sure anything there really needs integration. All of the obvious hooks that you want brought into canon for future use come from the first game. Sith Lords is so good because it's a long, deep dive into the philosophies of the force. That's not something you can just kind of graze and nip a few elements from.
There is no way the story team allow any serious questioning of the Force in the way Sith Lords did.

Mdot

Oct 25, 2017
Kotor is almost 20 years old now and people want to replay it but with modern techonlogy, making the world more alive, and maybe reintroducing it to their kid. It shouldn't be hard to understand
It's not hard to understand. It's also not hard to understand my opinion that I personally would prefer the resources being used on a brand new game. Just my feeling about it, no offense intended.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Played KOTOR for the first time last year and loved it. Now I'm wondering whether to avoid playing KOTOR 2 and wait for this remake thing instead...

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
Played KOTOR for the first time last year and loved it. Now I'm wondering whether to avoid playing KOTOR 2 and wait for this remake thing instead...
You really should play KotOR II. It's an incredible game, and besides, this doesn't sound like it's actually going to be a remake so much as a completely new game that'll borrow some characters and plot ideas from the existing games.

I doubt it'll be anywhere near as weird as KotOR II.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
IIRC Shinobi was somewhat in the know at BioWare, (at least around the time of Andromeda) so it would make sense he would know of the games existence.

Hope people don't badger him about it though.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Please I can't take it...

KOTR return and a Mass Effect trilogy remaster?

tenor.gif

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
You really should play KotOR II. It's an incredible game, and besides, this doesn't sound like it's actually going to be a remake so much as a completely new game that'll borrow some characters and plot ideas from the existing games.

I doubt it'll be anywhere near as weird as KotOR II.

Yeeeah, screw it, I'll play KOTOR II then.

giphy.gif

tekomandor

Oct 27, 2017
TSL has a bunch of Mandolorian Wars stuff + more info on Revan. That's what I'd pull into a K1 remake from it, at least.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I really didn't like the combat, I really didn't like the turgid NPC dialogue and dark side dialogue = I'm a bit of a dick. If that can all be tightened up, then a big win.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
1 year later, the plot is slight more thick:

thedirect.com

Star Wars Reportedly Working on New Knights of the Old Republic Video Game

A new Knights of the Old Republic game is in the works, according to a podcast by Bespin Bulletin.

In a recent episode of Bob The Podcast, Bespin Bulletin has revealed that a new Knights of the Old Republic title is under development by an unknown developer.

Throughout the episode, the host speculates that it will not be a remake of the original two games, and instead will be its own "definitive story."

There is a Knights of the Old Republic project in development somewhere, I talked to a couple of people, and I also found out that Jason Schreier, he said that it's not with EA. We will never guess who the studio is. It's happening somewhere, it's happening.

I don't know how reliable this is so I didn't think it was worth a new thread.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Bring it on then. I like what I'm seeing of High Republic, but if it was any type of continuation/renewal of KOTOR, it will be something that I "will watch with great interest"!

Jul 24, 2018
Not sure what to think of this, the writing for KOTOR 2 was exceptional and a reboot of those games without the old writers is probably not gonna be living up to the original that I love. If nothing else please don't make it into an action game like any big budget RPG these days, maybe something semi action based like FFXII's gambit system. I feel like the original game's combat could have benefitted with tactical systems like that.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm down as long as it's still a party based RPG that isn't Turn Based.

One thing I would wish for is that if it's really an Old Republic game and being brought back inline with canon please please please take inspiration from the actual Old Republic comic when it comes to the visual and tech style. I loved KotoR immensely but the fact that the world and tech all felt like it could take place at the same time as the OT was a major draw back. I greatly appreciate the more distinctive approach their going for with the High Republic, so I'd expect they'd do something similar here.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Not sure what to think of this, the writing for KOTOR 2 was exceptional and a reboot of those games without the old writers is probably not gonna be living up to the original that I love.
Well, for reasons that likely go without saying, we're not likely going to get someone like Avellone, again.

But there has to be other good writers out there. The question is if Lucasfilm will let them be as daring, when there's such a firm grasp on what they want the Force to be, nowadays. Stuff like Kreia and her views wouldn't fly with today's story group.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
I'd argue it's wise to go for a clean break and not try to remake the game or rehash its story, but oh, the fanboys will be loud if the requisite Revan fan-service isn't present

Fuck em, I say