• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is Psyduck a platypus?

• No, you fool. He's a duck!

Votes: 915 72.7%
  • Yes, it's all a ruse!

Votes: 343 27.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Deep down I knewit but damn .... there goes my hope for a platypus starter =/

You'll be remembered Platy.

Platyboi.PNG

Yeah =/

StephXPM

Pokemon Master
Nov 23, 2017
I love that lemur, but it was pretty clear to me that those were fakes.

The color palettes of the fire + grass starters being similar and the organization of the images on the sheet (the official concept art sheets are a clusterfuck) kinda gave it away.

EDIT: I'm surprised so many people like the Platypus design. That one looks the most amateur to me.

Last edited:

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UBs are 100% regular Pokemon and count as normal Pokemon.

US/UM was the first time new Pokemon were added mid-generation. The other gens were just new formes, starting with Deoxys in Gen III.
They are straight up never categorized as normal Pokemon to the point of only being catchable with special Pokeballs. They're a new category more than anything.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
They are straight up never categorized as normal Pokemon to the point of only being catchable with special Pokeballs. They're a new category more than anything.
They're not only catchable with special Pokeballs, it's just harder to get them in a non-Beast Ball.

They have national dex numbers like any other Pokemon. Outside of visual design and game "lore" there's no technical difference between Buzzwole and Zapdos or Suicune. They're just like any other "lesser" legendary.

Deleted member 24021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This isn't the first time this has happened. The Gen 5 starter leaks and Gen 7 starter leaks were claimed to be faked by "people who drew them" when they were real in the end.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm impressed, guy's artwork nails the newer pokemon aesthetic...

Shame, i really love the plat.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Well... I mean I don't think we have had a kickboxer yet, and I can totally see that fire rabbit evolving into a kickboxing rabbit (even if the fire wrestling kitty was a dark type). Still, I have my doubts on them. The whole "Confidant" stamp feels like something extra added in just so that "This is for reals."

Cream

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol Pokemon fans.

"Good I only liked the Lemur."

"Damn. I liked the lemur and the rabbit."

"Platy! Nooo! :("

"I knew they were fake cause they all look good."

"Glad these are fake. They all look like trash."

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
Lol Pokemon fans.

Well, that's kind of the point of having three different starters: to appeal to different tastes and opinions from a high variety of personalities among the fans.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I'm looking forward to getting back into Pokemon since red blue and already my heart has been squeezed. Game freak won't top this.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
They were definitely some of the most realistic fakes to date.

What always gets me about these discussions though is that any future faker can take into account every telltale sign and work around it. You can bet the next fake starters won't have a similar body color, for example.

We've all basically played ourselves for decades to come.

pulga

Banned for alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is a sad, sad day. RIP platypusmon, you were too beautiful for this cruel world.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Lol Pokemon fans.

"I knew they were fake because I am the master of color composition."

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Lol Pokemon fans.

It's almost as if people have different opinions :P

I really liked the bunny, personally speaking.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
My heart hurts... I needed that platypus to be a real thing... oh well, time will heal these wounds :(

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
And out come the people trying to flaunt their superiority for "knowing all along" that something was fake for any reason other than the fact that less than 1% of these things end up being real regardless of how good they look.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're not only catchable with special Pokeballs, it's just harder to get them in a non-Beast Ball.

They have national dex numbers like any other Pokemon. Outside of visual design and game "lore" there's no technical difference between Buzzwole and Zapdos or Suicune. They're just like any other "lesser" legendary.
They dont have to have theyre own pokedex t be seperate. Ultra Beasts arent normal, they are a subcategory with their own rules for what qualifies as them. Like I said, closer to legendaries. While Legendaries are typically classified by BSTs of 600+, Ultra Beasts are classified with extreme numbers in their prioritized stat.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
The platypus is what made me immediately think it was fake, just felt like an uninspired mishmash of bits from Pikachu/Psyduck/Bibarel. The rabbit is neat though.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Sad that water starter isn't real. So cute. The third evo has potential for a sick big boy Blastoise type of design too.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Man. All three of them looked legit. Artwork this good should go towards a fan game.

Oneiros

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a strategic reason for the starters always being Grass/Fire/Water or is it just tradition?

Status
Not open for further replies.