• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is Psyduck a platypus?

• No, you fool. He's a duck!

Votes: 915 72.7%
  • Yes, it's all a ruse!

Votes: 343 27.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stilton Disco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I don't like the grass lemur thing, but gods damn are the Platypus and Fire Bunny brilliant looking!

If these are real, picking between them is going to kill me.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
looks like more of the same

was hoping to see a bit more risk taking with Gen 8 assuming these arent fake

Skatterd

Oct 25, 2017
I fucking love them. I think this is the first ones I've looked at (if they're real) and immediately loved all 3.

Sage

Oct 27, 2017
Japan
The thing that makes me think this is fake, even though I don't want it to be, is that some of the words have Kanji characters, but they've used Hiragana characters instead:

まえ - 前 (front)
うしろ - 後ろ (behind)
うえ - 上 (up/top)
した - 下 (under)

These all seem like common knowledge Kanji, so not sure why they wouldn't be used, especially when the Kanji were used in the fire starter's image.

Following from this, the grass starter has Katakana for:

マエ - まえ - 前 - front

Katakana is generally used to create English sounding words, for example:

インターネット - intaanetto - internet

The characters seem to be pretty inconsistent between the images, leading me to believe it to be fake.

Here is the source BTW: https://boards.4chan.org/vp/thread/34935062
Actually, the fact that they used katakana for the first, kanji for the second and hiragana for the third makes it more likely these are real. Writing in katakana creates a 'cooler' image, which it seems like they're trying to project with the grass monkey. Hiragana has a more 'cute' / 'childlike' image, which is the theme of the water starter. It's a very Japanese thing to do so if it's fake then whoever did it put a lot of thought into it.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
That bunny's got fine potential to end up as a Fire/Fighting type.

NO

tenor.gif

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Normally the "CONFIDENTAL" thing would scream fake, but the Gen 7 starters leak also had that, so we can't really dismiss these images off of that alone.

That said, while I do like the designs, I'll wait for an official reveal before buying into them being legit.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing that makes me think this is fake, even though I don't want it to be, is that some of the words have Kanji characters, but they've used Hiragana characters instead:

まえ - 前 (front)
うしろ - 後ろ (behind)
うえ - 上 (up/top)
した - 下 (under)

These all seem like common knowledge Kanji, so not sure why they wouldn't be used, especially when the Kanji were used in the fire starter's image.

Following from this, the grass starter has Katakana for:

マエ - まえ - 前 - front

Katakana is generally used to create English sounding words, for example:

インターネット - intaanetto - internet

The characters seem to be pretty inconsistent between the images, leading me to believe it to be fake.

Here is the source BTW: https://boards.4chan.org/vp/thread/34935062

Nah, the Japanese in this is legit. Definitely written by a native or someone who can fake it very well.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
These dont match, just the idea of what they are supposed to be and the types, unless the sprite work for them is that bad that they look pretty different, the bunny looks TOTALLY different
I agree, but it is kinda suspicious nonetheless. I'm just bringing it to the light, you just decide what you believe. I would love them to be real, although there is nothing going for them other than they seem real-ish.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would be disappointed that they're still going fire water grass but the water/fire ones are fine. Grass looks a bit stupid.

GustyGardner

Oct 27, 2017
Well if these are real, it'll be the first time since gen 3 that I don't pick the Grass starter first. FIre Bunny for life.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if fake or real but great art regardless, if they are fake then the artist should see about getting a job at the Pokemon company I think all three of these look very good.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
That lemur thing is straight trash. But yeah, #teamfake all the way.

Though it does bring back memories of pouring over the latest fakes on Serebii 's site over a decade ago. This one is one of the best I ever saw (back when it was rumored the DP starters would be Dark/Psychic/Fighting) and I'm still a little disappointed it didn't happen; dat kangaroo!
dpstarters.jpg

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Normally the "CONFIDENTAL" thing would scream fake, but the Gen 7 starters leak also had that, so we can't really dismiss these images off of that alone.

That said, while I do like the designs, I'll wait for an official reveal before buying into them being legit.
If its been leaked a certain way before and ended up being real the exact same way as a followup is more likely to be fake actually, since people now know how to replicate it
for example the 2 confidential leaks so far

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Look how the water one sleeps. I'll fight anyone that calls it ugly.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I would be okay with these designs. I especially like the Fire Rabbit.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I agree, but it is kinda suspicious nonetheless. I'm just bringing it to the light, you just decide what you believe. I would love them to be real, although there is nothing going for them other than they seem real-ish.
I mean in the case of the fire starter it makes sense that there would be some overlap between a fan game and a main game as it's quite obvious that all of the fire starters are based off the animals of the zodiac. And as for the platypus, the image implies it's water/poison (or it becomes part poison when it evolves), not water/fighting.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
The Lemur isnt bad its just a grass starter so its shit anyway, also not as cute just like all the others barring rowlet

Zexen

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they are legit, I like them. A lot. I skipped the Alola games because I didn't liked the starters.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I feel like Nintendo should just use a neural network and feed it the previous generation's starters and see what it generates.

Status
Not open for further replies.