• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks to Futabaisthebest<3 for bringing this to our attention in another thread.

SOURCE (DARK SIDE OF GAMING)

DSOGaming said:
Things are not looking good for System Shock 3. According to a former developer, the original team responsible for this third part is no longer working on it. Therefore, we can safely assume that we won't be playing this immersive sim game anytime soon.

As RPGCodex member 'Kin Corn Karn', a former developer of System Shock 3, said:

(...)
"The only reason I'm posting is because I saw so much confusion about the state of the company and the project. I thought some first person information would be welcome. I never suggested we were halfway done, core systems are a great foundation for a game but most of the work is content development which we were critically behind in, both in real assets and in tool support for an efficient pipeline."
According to the former developer, the System Shock 3 would be able to offer something interesting with some fresh and innovative gameplay. That is of course if Starbreeze hadn't gone into a crisis.

The article has a bit more info, but looks like if the rumor's true, Starbreeze's fall last year took down System Shock 3 with it.

I removed the link to the forum post source cited in the article, because if I recall correctly the site in question is known for bigotry.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
Was System Shock 3 a kickstarter game as well? I can't remember.

That sucks either way. :/

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Shit

edit: This is how I feel right now...

hyknjdh.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Was System Shock 3 a kickstarter game as well? I can't remember.

That sucks either way. :/
It was so early in development, we never got more than a single trailer. Funding was... covered, at least in part, by Starbreeze, and that went under recently. I think I vaguely recall being concerned about SS3.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
It was so early in development, we never got more than a single trailer. Funding was... covered, at least in part, by Starbreeze, and that went under recently. I think I vaguely recall being concerned about SS3.

That's a shame. It's too bad a major publisher didn't come in and save it (assuming this is true and it is cancelled).

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
Wouldn't come as a shock considering all the bad news we have been hearing about the studio in recent days. There just doesn't seem to be any interest in the project from publishers.

If true, then my sympathies to the fans. I know many of them were holding out hope for this :(

Feb 12, 2019
I remember some of the scuttlebutt after Underworld Ascendant's disastrous launch was to the effect of "System Shock 3 is still going to be fine. It's a separate team with a separate source of funding."

Well. Uh. Hm. Otherside really can't catch a break, can they?

OP
OP

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I remember some of the scuttlebutt after Underworld Ascendant's disastrous launch was to the effect of "System Shock 3 is still going to be fine. It's a separate team with a separate source of funding."

Well. Uh. Hm. Otherside really can't catch a break, can they?
Their separate source of funding, Starbreeze, went bankrupt last year due to disastrous mismanagement... :(

Thanks, I didn't know there was an entire sustained layoff sequence before this.

I'll keep the thread open regardless, if that's OK with the mods.

nightdive has nothing to do with this, right?
How's the remake of 1 coming? Does this affect that?
The remake is being developed by Night Dive Studios (the folks who remastered a whole bunch of old games and relicensed them - in particular they rescued SS1 and SS2 out of legal hell) and their project is coming along nicely, they're an entirely separated studio, released a new demo of the first level for TGA, it's taking its sweet time but doesn't seem in trouble; we got a new update just yesterday.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
The remake is being developed by Night Dive Studios (the folks who remastered a whole bunch of old games and relicensed them - in particular they rescued SS1 and SS2 out of legal hell) and their project is coming along nicely, they're an entirely separated studio, released a new demo of the first level for TGA, it's taking its sweet time but doesn't seem in trouble; we got a new update just yesterday.
Omg I had no idea that was an entirely separate dev's work.

Thanks for clearing that up.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i was never feeling this thing to begin with but if it ultimately works out cool i guess

more interested in the SS1 remake but fact that that has its own issues and will release in like 5 years speaks volumes to prospects of a SS3

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Well I hope the project gets taken by another team and editor and gets reworked for next-gen with next-gen graphics, Rt and stuff.

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
Not surprising with all the development issues it has had, with starbreeze and the recent lay offs... ya might be time to move on to something new... sucks they couldn't have transferred those devs onto a different project instead of laying everyone off 😕

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Sucks. Epic, are you listening? Rescue this shit with your Fortnite monies.

I have not followed the game, but if it was planned for GOG, EPIC won't care, they make war to Valve.

It sucks if the game disapears, System Shock games are classic well deserving of a follow up.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
I swear all my favorite series, stalker and this, are fucking cursed.

Is it because of me? Am I to blame??

Oct 31, 2017
I would call this terrible news but after the irredeemable disaster that Underworld Ascendant turned out to be I always had my expectations set to the bare minimum.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
This is so sad to read. I never played the original game but after falling in love with Prey and looking forward to the System Shock 1 remake, I was hoping to hear a lot more about System Shock 3 this year, too :/

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
If Night Dive's remake of the original game is well-received both critically and commercially, I can see it picking up the pieces.
This would be very interesting. I'd love it if in 10 years someone that gets access to whatever code is currently available for this version could compare it with whatever a final release of this would be if we got it.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Not so much cursed as it is having a history of Tsar Bomba. Not really hard to see why SS3 might have a difficult time finding a new publisher after Starbreeze when this is System Shock 2's fiscal legacy.

Wikipedia said:
Despite critical acclaim, the title did not perform well commercially;[63] only 58,671 copies were sold by April 2000.[64]

And then combine that with Starbreeze's tendency towards poor financial decisions and well...

Oct 27, 2017
Well this fucking sucks.

We get three bioshock games, 2/3 sucked, and we can't get a sequel to one my top five games of all time.

Wah.