• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
It would seem obvious but some people seem absolutely adamant that isn't the case, for reasons I can't remember

Pretty sure because it looks very similar to the symphonia situation.

GameCube exclusive in the west, the Ps2 got a more complete version in Japan and we still ended up getting the PS2 version on ps3 many years later.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
English fanbase seems to hate the Graces cast. The combat and systems in that game are pretty awesome though (and I like most of the cast too, especially legitimate-best-Tales-character Malik).
Most of the hate on the cast in the West is for Asbel and his never ending "protect" bullshit. The rest of the cast is whatever, though I remember liking Pascal and Malik. Sophie was okay too.

Apr 16, 2018
Lmao folks in here saying the Xillia games are bad when the combat is miles ahead of Vesperia.

Xillia 2 is among the best the series has to offer, and Milla Maxwell is probably more interesting as a protagonist than any single character in Vesperia.

Let that cel-shaded shit go. It's never coming back.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao folks in here saying the Xillia games are bad when the combat is miles ahead of Vesperia.

Xillia 2 is among the best the series has to offer, and Milla Maxwell is probably more interesting as a protagonist than any single character in Vesperia.

Let that cel-shaded shit go. It's never coming back.

I don't really think it's how it looks, more just how absolutely fucking booooring of a snorefest Xillia is. Just... zzzzzzz.

Scar

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Title Town
Gaius hype!

Part 2 was great, but only because I knew most the characters from the first game.

But eh?

Ive beaten both. Dunno if I would buy a ps4 version though. Those games are still fresh.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Best Tales game in recent years. Me and my other half loved it and would totally be down for playing again on PS4.

Plus, means I can pick up as my main man Gaius again! (and Alvin if they're bringing the first Xillia across).

Apr 16, 2018
I don't really think it's how it looks, more just how absolutely fucking booooring of a snorefest Xillia is. Just... zzzzzzz.
People slobber all over Vesperia's cel-shaded artstyle and its useless world map in every Tales thread.

The Xillia games aren't boring at all. The breathed new air into the franchise with female characters being made the focal point for both games, which eventually led us to even greater games like Berseria.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, why not? Never managed to finish Xillia 2 since my PS3 died.

Probably must be a bundle, though. I can't understand why they would port Xillia 2 and not the first one.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If its a dual pack I would buy it, never played either game. Seems weird to do this but people seem to really love Xillia.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Asbel was 4th on the last Tales festival character poll they did. He managed to beat Eizen from Berseria!

Asbel is the worst MC by far. I actually think he's not fully mentally there, he's that stupid. Can't account for Japan's taste, I guess.

You mean the real Destiny 2 right and not the one on PS1? I haven't played it since it wasn't localized and there's no translation patch iirc

Yeah. It's worth a playthrough but basically it's magic the game, physical attacks are next to useless and so battles boil down to you controlling a tanky character while three mages in the back blast the enemies.

Dec 18, 2017
Sadly, I do not own a PlayStation 4. I enjoyed Xillia decently well.

Definitely would like to play it again in higher resolution and such. But not enough to buy a PlayStation 4 for.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Asbel is the worst MC by far. I actually think he's not fully mentally there, he's that stupid. Can't account for Japan's taste, I guess.

Yeah. It's worth a playthrough but basically it's magic the game, physical attacks are next to useless and so battles boil down to you controlling a tanky character while three mages in the back blast the enemies.
I'm interested since it's basically a sequel to Destiny, which I loved as a kid.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
I feel as if Vesperia is being looked at with rose-tinted goggles, or platform envy because it never had a US PS release. Jaded male teenage (wasn't he?) antihero meets convoluted JRPG plot, with a truly one-note and boring villain and endless dialog and exposition are only a few of that game's faults. I loved it at the time, but it's hardly the top of its genre in retrospect.
Maybe not at the top of the genre, but certainly among the best Tales games.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Wait - are you guys talking about Tales of Eternia when you mention Destiny 2? Because the PSP version is actually one of my favourite titles in the series.

EDIT: Damn, NA never even got the PSP release. That sucks.

Dec 18, 2017
There's a demand for this ? Glad for those who wanna play.
I would instantly buy the game again and pre-order it if it came to newer platforms I own like Switch or Steam.
I haven't plugged in my PlayStation 3 in a while. And one of the reasons I was considering it, was to rip isos to try out with RPCS3. Two of the first and foremost games I wanted to play was Tales of Graces f and Xillia.

If it came to Steam, that would save me the trouble and desire to.
And while I wouldn't want the game on Switch as much as PC, it least it's a platform I am using currently and have set up.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9714

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's weird. Xillia 1 was pretty good, maybe because it was my first Tales of game since Phantasia on the GBA, but I thought Xillia 2 was awful and the last thing I wanted from an Xillia sequel. I would replay 1, but never 2 unless I was being paid.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
I don't know....Xillia 2 had an amazing battle system with the weapon swap system, which led to some of the best combo setups in the series. Xillia's link-up system was pretty fantastic too. They had their flaws but it's far from the worst imo, especially when you look at Tales of World and Hearts R
Yeah I loved the battle system and protagonist. Also the antagonist and story in general. Only thing I didn't like was the debt system.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I liked Xilla when it was released, I never knew people 'hated' it. It's a revelation after that garbage that was Graces F and I like Gauis as an antagonist.

Rymuth

Oct 26, 2017
I would definitely put Symphonia, Abyss, and Eternia at the top of the genre.

200w.gif

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Would definitely get if it's both Xillia's. Wouldn't mind seeing Leia again. I mean her existence was kinda pointless plot-wise but I liked her personality and voice actress. lol

*continues wishing upon a brave vesperia*

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Liked Xillia 1 a lot. Xillia 2 was a mess, IMO, and barely really functioned as a sequel. It didn't really continue anything from the first- it mostly concerned the two new characters, one of which is a silent progagonist (which they never do with this series) the Xillia 1 cast were pretty much useless baggage, following the new protagonist, and the game could have further explored the very unstable world state the events of 1 left us with, and any number of problems that could have spring from that but instead went on a whole other (very sci fi) tangent with alternate universes and shit.

Having a collected title would be.. nice I guess though.

But seriously Namco...Vesperia please. Still the best looking Tales game ever made. Its clear they put a lot into that game, and the titles that followed were never given quite the same budget for graphical design. Cell shading is so freaking nice and timeless, and I don't know why dev's making anime styled games don't use it more.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
All I know is if it is true, I am there day 1! Say what you will about Xillia 2, but I liked its battle system (even though Xillia 1 was better). It's the first "Tales of" news I've heard of since Berseria, so I will be there to buy this if it happens. I would hope Graces f comes to PS4 as well. I do have to wonder about what the hold up is with Vesperia though. That would probably do better than the other games in the West since the 360 exclusive kinda botched its western potential.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Xillia 2 was fantastic but that's because I played it as a sequel to Xillia. I can't imagine 2 being as enjoyable without having played the first game.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Please no, I spent so much money on the DLC. I don't want to be dragged in again.

Oct 25, 2017
The only way i would buy this is if it was bundled with all the ps3 games, and Vesperia. Make it a Collection of Tales if you will.

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Except MC wasn't particularly jaded, he wasn't an anti-hero (Berseria got the edginess covered) and I think he was in his 20s. Graphics/towns looked good, companions/sketches were fun and story was one of the best in the series (not saying much here mind you :P).

He was constantly whining and engaged in an internal monologue. Seemed pretty jaded to me. But again, it's been like 10 years?

Hitokiri03

Oct 25, 2017
Story, cast and combat of Xillia 2 was pretty good, the only down side was the reused assets and the emptiness of the world.

Graces was a super boring because that Asbel, Sophie, Richard friendship bullshit, the only thing good in the game was Cheria and Hubert.

Oct 25, 2017
Can't at all argure with that though. The Xillila engine was and is terrible. Towns were flat and the world just felt so empty and lifeless. Compare it to Vesperia's and it's just leagues behind.
It's funny because Tales of Studio has been using the Symphonia engine for all their 3D titles, just with mild changes with each entry.

I hope the next game takes everything back to the drawing board (UE4 maybe?), the series deserves it.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Story, cast and combat of Xillia 2 was pretty good, the only down side was the reused assets and the emptiness of the world.

Graces was a super boring because that Asbel, Sophie, Richard friendship bullshit, the only thing good in the game was Cheria and Hubert.
Cheria is the most insufferable character in Tales series, and that's in a game with fucking Asbel.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jeez, I didn't realize there was so much Xillia hate out there. I really enjoyed everything about them, although Jude's story was definitely the one that they intended you to play first and I wish there was some indicator for that.