• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I expect it to be Fall 2020. That would give them well over 3 years with the assets from the original BOTW in hand. I think they spent like 5 years on BOTW, but most of the first few years were experimentation and building the open world systems.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love it for holiday 2020. Idk if it will make that but since it's an iterative sequel 3.5 years seems like enough and a good game to counter next gen launches

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Take BoTWs engine/gameplay and just give me real dungeons, actual bosses, and weapons/items that aren't disposable and I'm all in.

BoTW was so good, but a few things held it back from being GOAT status.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Zell is a much more reliable leaker who said the same thing before the game was even announced.

He also called a 2D Zelda in 2019 before it was announced at the same time.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely not, Breath of the Wild is the future of the series, and we should welcome it.
Making a gigantic overworld every time is not feasible, especially as game development time and costs increase constantly. Zelda would go to 1 game every decade at that point.

And also narrative focused Zelda's deserve to still have a spotlight.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
2020 makes sense since they're not building a new engine and they don't have to worry about porting the game to two separate architectures.

Yazuka

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Since it was first shown I've always had the feeling it would release next year.
And I stand by it, until we get something official that says otherwise.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
I really really hope they dont have any kind of transfer BotW save feature(to integrate the games or something).

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely not, Breath of the Wild is the future of the series, and we should welcome it.
Yeah, this.

30+ years of a given formula is more than enough.

We are blessed to have gotten something so relatively daring—may the BotW approach get 30 more years of improvement and refinement

"narrative focused Zelda" has never really been a thing though...

It's revisionist history and creates a false dichotomy between BotW and the previous games.

It's advocacy for linear Zelda games, not "story-driven" ones. And the good aspects of the previous 3D Zelda stories can exist within the BotW template—no need to go back to the tired, rote pre-BotW Zelda formula

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Zell said the same in a pretty straightforward way, and it makes perfect sense that they'd want this ready on time for the next-gen console launches as a counter to them. I'm very excited.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
but a late 2020 release date for the game makes total sense, as Nintendo will presumably want a big game to be able to keep some of the spotlight on themselves in the midst of the PS5/Scarlet launches.
It makes sense for them to release a big game late 2020 but I doubt another Zelda is going to draw in a lot of people that aren't already on board with the Switch.

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
MfDmjSB.gif

(credit to Lady Bow, I think?)

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
At first I thought it was bullshit given the gaps between the most recent main console Zeldas, but three and a half years for a direct sequel that will no-doubt re-use some assets sounds reasonable.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"narrative focused Zelda" has never really been a thing though...
Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword both focused on a more narrative and/or character driven adventure. Quality is subjective, but IMO in TP's case, the art, atmosphere, characters, and plot(until ganon shows up in the present) were all leagues above BotW. Zant, Midna, Thelma, Malo, and even weirdoes like Ooccoo were some of the best designs in the series(or most memorable) Compared to... Kass, and 4 dead flashbacks with like at most 10 lines each.

Skyward Sword went full on with amazing and charming character writing with probably the best written incarnations of Zelda and Impa, and then Groose was just icing on the cake.

Hell, even Majora's Mask had strong narrative pull, with a loooooot more emphasis on the sidequests' writing.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Yaaaas

Must be because Bayonetta 3 and Metroid Prime 4 aren't releasing anytime soon

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still being pessimistic on that 2020 release date. I hope I am wrong, and I promise to be there day 1, but we will see.

oliverandm

Nov 13, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
Wouldn't this be realistic considering how many things are already established, from gameplay design to assets and such? I don't know anything about creating games, but I would imagine there's a solid foundation to build upon which is very practical.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Shocking. It always seemed like the most obvious release period given everything we knew.

It's 3+ years after BotW's release, that's plenty of time for a new game, especially one that is a direct sequel on the same engine using the same assets.

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised. If you read between the lines of some tweets and have some deduction skills then it's entirely possible they have already started English voice recording for the sequel.

Now, I have no hard evidence for it, so don't ask. It's just a culmination of circumstances plus, call it intuition.

But I pride myself in being pretty good at that, I once predicted the album release of one of my favorite bands to the exact date and announcement time just by watching the tweets of people involved in the music video industry that hinted at working with them in combination with how things worked in the past.

Anyways it would make sense too. They don't have to build a new engine and have been working on it since 2017, not to mention after Xenoblade 2 and it's DLC, if all that Monolith Soft and their by now HUGE development team have to show for is a Xenoblade Remaster (albeit an expansive one), it's pretty clear to me some of them are helping the guys at Nintendo again (also there were job listings pertaining to that I believe).

And they need something to go up against PS5 and presumably the new Xbox.

Oct 25, 2017
Making a gigantic overworld every time is not feasible, especially as game development time and costs increase constantly. Zelda would go to 1 game every decade at that point.

Making the world map wasn't what strained development for so long, that was tuning the systems like physics and 'chemistry', and building the tools to iterate on placements and changes quickly among the team. Now that those systems are in place, development should be able to go more quickly for this style of game.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's very close to the very first Legend of Zelda, it's totally a classic Zelda imo
The core of Zelda 1 was an "open" overworld with dungeons containing items and areas you could only access with those items. And no handholding. BOTW also removed handholding(very good choice). The other stuff was Nintendo PR that people accepted or pretended to be true.
Imo all of the mainline games (except Zelda 2, TP and SS) have a structure more similar to OG Zelda than BOTW. I hope they embrace more Zelda elements next time to keep my interest in the series but I will probably be disappointed due to how this new formula appeal to mass market.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
All of us are expecting Holiday 2020.
A sequel to the 2017 Game of the Year is how Nintendo can best compete with the buzz surrounding Sony and Microsoft's new consoles.

Aside from its strong reception, that's one of several reasons why Nintendo won't reinvent the wheel for a BotW successor. Just do a sequel using similar assets and mechanics so you can get it out the door in time to face the competition when the company most needs one of its biggest franchises in stores.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
It'll be fall 2020. MAYBE it gets pushed to Spring 2021 at the latest.

I feel like this A. has been known for a while and B. is common sense.

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
Zell is a much more reliable leaker who said the same thing before the game was even announced.

He also called a 2D Zelda in 2019 before it was announced at the same time.
Not to defend Sabi... But I don't know if Zell's track record is any better. Zell has press contact, but that seems to be it. All of his accurate leaks are days before a direct. He's got a lot of mistakes... Tomb Raider, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Pikmin 3, Monster Hunter. He walked back a Mario Maker prediction that would have been correct. He also knew about Cadence of Hyrule, but didn't know about Link's Awakening... claiming he knew nothing about any ports or remasters.