• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Today, Sabi, a known leaker with a good track record, revealed that The Legend of Zelda Breath Of The Wild 2 is currently scheduled for a 2020 release date worldwide. This isn't speculation, as he [sic] confirms that this is the current plan. He also added, however, that games in the series are often delayed, so there's the chance that Breath of the Wild 2 will as well.

SOURCE

Not sure how accurate Sabi or Wccftech have been in the past, but a late 2020 release date for the game makes total sense, as Nintendo will presumably want a big game to be able to keep some of the spotlight on themselves in the midst of the PS5/Scarlet launches.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure we knew this was the internal target ever since king zell talked about it.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Wish they were doing a classic Zelda instead

Edit: I mean 2D style

Last edited:

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
My sources tell me it will either be 2020 or a different year.
I can confirm no 2019 release.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
This has been rumored since we knew if the existence of a 2D Zelda this year and a 3D one next.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It would be a surprise and maybe a first for a 3D Zelda in a long time to get released without any major delay. So we shall see Nintendo EPD/Monolith Soft!

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
This wouldn't surprise me at and shouldn't surprise y'all either.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, expected. It's an iterative sequel (probably), not a whole new chapter with new engine and game style and all that. Makes sense it wasn't coming out this year and that next year was the target. 3 years or so for such a game are realistic.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A leaker who get's their information from people who hack retailer databases, wouldn't have that information stored in it.
Not to mention it could be 2020 but can always be delayed bullshit to come back to and say, yes, I was right either way.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reliable source of mine that works at Nintendo told me it's coming sometime after 2012. I'll ask him for more details when he comes over for dinner tonight with my aunt.

Deleted member 1839

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure Zell was the first to mention or hint at a 3D Zelda for 2020 along with 2D Zelda for this year at the time.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
giphy.gif

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't news...King Zell said ages ago that the internal goal for BOTW2 is Fall 2020, but without an announcement until closer to then so that people don't get burned if the game gets delayed.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
You dont have to be a magician to know its gonna be a late 2020 release if ready or 2021.

But its so easy to get attention with Nintendo related rumors that i cant blame "leakers" for even selling the most obvious predictions as inside knowledge xD

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No we shouldn't and I love BoTW. I want to see a classic Zelda built from the ground up in HD.

You're best bet is looking towards new 2D Zelda games for "traditional" games. Outside of ports/remakes, it's apparent that BotW is the new template going forward for 3D games and will continually be improved/expanded on. Not to say that traditional elements won't be returning (I'm sure Nintendo knows everyone wants classic style dungeons to come back) but the open world freedom structure of BotW is likely permanent from here on out.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
So someone has made an incredibly safe bet by taking Zell's statement from ResetEra of a "2D Zelda in 2019 and 3D in 2020" and combined it with an easy way out of saying "Oh, games often get delayed" in case it turns out to be incorrect.

This is nothing news.

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
Wow another compelling confirmation from the thaumaturgic idea fisherman of the gaming scene.

Trrzs

Oct 29, 2017
Breath of the Wild was made in 5 years. Develop a sequel, that use the same engine in the same world, in 3 years makes a lot of sense to me tbh.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Them reusing a ton of BOTW assets means that it could likely come out in late 2020. They also need to start making a "BOTW3" to coincide with a "Switch 2" launch as soon as possible.