• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 24, 2019
Ok let's try this again :)

All credit goes to this post on Reddit by nstav13:

The gist of it is that a couple months ago, these pieces of concept art were (re)discovered on John Bigorgne's ArtStation profile. For those who don't know, he is a concept artist at Ubisoft Montreal.
a5lgoz3r1ke51.jpg

t4kow0lt1ke51.jpg

There is precedent for AC settings being leaked via ArtStation concept art, as this piece was found on a different Ubi concept artist's profile 2 years ago before Valhalla was officially revealed:
michele-nucera-vikings-village.jpg

Since the concept art featuring China or Japan (though nstav13 has a great explanation of why he thinks it's depicting China rather than Japan) was posted 3 years ago, it seems likely that this title will have had enough time to cook for a 2022 release once AC: Valhalla's roadmap is finished.

Also, since we know that Ubisoft typically likes to reuse assets for 2-3 entries before moving on to a drastically different time period/location, it seems highly likely that the next "trilogy" of AC games we'd get are China, Japan, and Mongolia.

One final piece of evidence that supports nstav13's theory are these two surveys that Ubisoft conducted in 2012 & 2017, which include feudal China, Japan, and Mongolia as options. Just looking at the other options that have since been realized as actual games, it seems clear that Ubisoft has been meaning to get to these settings for quite a while now.

Atilac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally cashing in the setting people have always wanted. Better late than never.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hope it's not Japan. Way too many games set there, China would be great though.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Quoting myself from the other thread:

I hope it's China because Sucker Punch has already done Japan better than Ubisoft ever could.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
IF this is real, I hope for China, a game similar to GoT would feel redundant.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I'd love a game in Mongol Empire. It would be something cool and completely different.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Japan looks cool but there's already so much western media set there. I hope for China, Mongolia or something else.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
China would be really awesome. Plus it would probably make it easier to sell there (if these games are sold there). but I welcome a massive change in pace for the environment

plan9

Nov 22, 2017
Isn't this the rumor after every Assassins Creed? It's gonna happen at some point obviously.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
The open world in GoT is gorgeous while also being incredibly boring. I'm open to seeing another developer take a crack at it.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'd hope for China or, if they had to do Japan, a relatively rarely unexplored part of the country's history in video game terms. Doing fuedal samurai times, or bringing in Nobunaga, would feel kinda rote.

Oct 27, 2017
If China, Mongolia, & Japan are part of a next-gen trilogy, I really hope they come to us in that order. Granted we might get GoT2 before that AC: Japan game can release.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
China would be better I think. Ghosts of Tsushima seems to have scratched the Japan itch already, plus China is an area of the world not seen enough in gaming.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017

I hope it's China because Sucker Punch has already done Japan better than Ubisoft ever could.

Yup. They had years(!) where people were demanding the obvious - an Assassin's creed Samurai and/or Ninja game.

If they release AC: Samurai within the next 2 years, people will keep comparing it to the - probably superior - GoT...

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
My money is on east Asia with a focus on sea faring, with mainland China, conflict with Japan and probably whatever Korea was at the timeframe that they choose.

With as large as Odyssey went, I can see this.

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
Ah yes, Assassin's Creed: Japan or China will finally release 2 years. And I can't wait for 2 years from now when it'll still, somehow, be 2 years away.

This is the most requested setting so maybe they'll finally do it but, its also been the most requested setting for like a decade so I'll need more proof that they are actually going through with it this time.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
Man, while I really want to see China and Mongolia being explored (Japan could wait, Sekiro and Ghost of Tsushima have it more than covered), I reaaaally want an Aztec AC game. The setting would be incredible.

jschreier you don't have any info to give us, do you? đź‘€

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
I can't see them doing three far east countries in a row. Sorry. Itll probably be China, South America, and India.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with everyone else, if they wanna do it go with China. They wouldn't do Japan as great as Ghost of Tsushima did that's for sure.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
If China, Mongolia, & Japan are part of a next-gen trilogy, I really hope they come to us in that order. Granted we might get GoT2 before that AC: Japan game can release.

All three would be rad, would be cool if they shared the same globe-trotting protagonist this time too (go full RPG) but I figure they won't do that.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017

Is Ghosts of Tsushima that good? It looked like a depressing samurai movie when I last watched it on YouTube. Also do people like the combat in Tsushima? It looks drastically different from anything in AC. I know some fans want Ubisoft to go back to the combat in the Pre AC Syndicate era.

OP
OP
Cosmic Voyager
Oct 24, 2019
We hear this every year
Isn't this the rumor after every Assassins Creed? It's gonna happen at some point obviously.

I think there's plenty of people *wishing* for Japan as the next entry every year, but I think this is the most tangible evidence we've had that a feudal Eastern Asia trilogy is imminently on the horizon.

If I had to guess, it would go:
-First, China during the Five Dynasties Period (907-960 AD)
-Second, Mongolia during Genghis Khan's reign (1206-1227 AD) and maybe a bit of his successors' reigns as well
-Finally, Japan during The Warring States Period (somewhere within 1467-1615 AD)

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Is Ghosts of Tsushima that good? It looked like a depressing samurai movie when I last watched it on YouTube. Also do people like the combat in Tsushima? It looks drastically different from anything in AC. I know some fans want Ubisoft to go back to the combat in the Pre AC Syndicate era.
It's essentially a polished, first party take on an Assassin's Creed/Ubisoft open world game in most ways.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ubisoft, stop being cowards by picking obvious AC settings

Let me hunt down Templar punks on the moon in a space suit

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Yes, Ghost of Tsushima is that good.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
It's essentially a polished, first party take on an Assassin's Creed/Ubisoft open world game in most ways.

They just seem like two different games to me. One is a historical simulator and the other is a Japanese samurai movie simulator. I think if GoT came out with the AC name, it wouldn't be highly praised. Anyway, I'll stop here. I don't want to continue being off topic. Thanks for answering.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany

It is quite good, but its nothing imo like current ACs and I do think Ubisoft should definitly visit that country.