• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 25, 2018
www.tweaktown.com

PlayStation 5's rumored heat issues should be solved in final console

Sources say the PlayStation 5 runs hot, but Sony should compensate with a powerful cooling solution.

New reports suggest Sony is currently wrangling PS5 overheating issues. Supposed unnamed dev sources tell reporters like Windows Central's Dan Rubino and Jez Corden that the console is simply belting out too much heat for the cooling array to handle.

Everything from the 7nm AMD SoC to the ultra-fast 5.5GB/sec PCIe 4.0 SSD are apparently generating pretty substantial thermals, and Sony's solution may not be on par with the Xbox Series X's huge 130mm fan and vapor chamber cooler. The PS5's variable GPU scaling adds another potential layer of worry to the heat management issues, especially since the console will scale its GPU power on a game-by-game basis.

The heat problems may force Sony to redesign system's current cooling and chassis design. Reports say current PS5 design is failing due to overheating and compare it to the Xbox 360's dreaded RRoD thermal issues. Now we understand why the PS5 devkit has massive ventilation.

This is probably a dramatic overreaction, though. It may be true the PS5 gets hot, and some units might be failing, but we have absolutely no solid info on the system's design yet. Until we get it, this will be hearsay at best. Also remember that PlayStation represents over 20% of Sony's quarterly earnings. They have a lot riding on the PS5 and it's unlikely they'd ship a product that runs so hot.

Previous PS5 concepts show a strange X-shaped case with side ventilation, but this may be inadequate. It's possible Sony's next-gen console could look more like the Xbox Series X's Mini-ITX tower design that pulls heat from the bottom up.

Sounds like a plausible answer to me. Realistically, the amount of power and heat it will produce will likely be insane. It also is so weird that we are in April and have absolutely no idea what the PS5 will look like, while we have the Xbox already shown. But could all just be rumors obviously.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
www.tweaktown.com

Sources say the PlayStation 5 runs hot, but Sony should compensate with a powerful cooling solution.

Sounds like a plausible answer to me. Realistically, the amount of power and heat it will produce will likely be insane. It also is so weird that we are in April and have absolutely no idea what the PS5 will look like, while we have the Xbox already shown. But could all just be rumors obviously.
First question how reliable is tweaktown?

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
The YT comment is nonsense and deserves no attention.

There is no report. All the info came from a comment left on Youtube. It's nonsense and pure hyperbole.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Question: does running fewer CUs at a higher frequency (PS5) generate more or less heat than more CUs running at a lower frequency (XSX)?

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
I would need some super credible sources to say this before I could even begin to take it seriously. I just don't see Sony fucking up like that.

Oct 25, 2017
This is crap reports that some random fanboy posted in some thread and then a journalist for windows central decided to tweet about it for some reason to ask if it was reliable or FUD.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah they're getting ready for manufacturing at this point not redesigning the console.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
They need to chill out...

jhIDYUE.png

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
system overheating due to running beyond the 100th ps4 game that wasn't bc supported, YLOD causing credit card data breach and installing rootkit scandals. GG fix this shit

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
It running hot is not surprising. But Sony still working on the final design of the console 6-7 months out... not sure about that. I'm not even sure they could be tweaking anything at this point.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get it. The Series X is an absolute monster, what's with the need to constantly spread FUD about the PS5 from Xbox fanboys? Like your own hardware can stand on its own merits. Shit is baffling.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's possible, but I'd wait for a more credible source. Sony could simply just be waiting for marketing purposes.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
The power draw for the SoC 90% likely to be under 200w which is nowhere near insane so this sounds like bullshit telephone game started by a fanboy.

Raggen

Oct 7, 2019
True or not, these consoles aren't releasing this year IMHO, probaly releasing q2/3/4 2021, so they got time either way. Sony can use TLOU2 and GOS to keep people interested in PS4 in the autumn when things hopefully calm down a bit.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Completely ignoring that article, I'd still say it's 50/50. From what I've read, Microsoft seems to have caught Sony off guard and the Github leaks were more accurate that most expected. Sony overclocking from 2 GHz to 2.23 GHz would make the final TFLOP count closer, but would also generate more heat. That plus the SSD and I wouldn't at all be surprised if they're having heat issues that require a design change. Here's hoping it doesn't go from sounding like a jet engine to shuttle launch.

True_fan

Banned
Mar 19, 2020
Probably false, but it can't be entirely dismissed as sony is running the boost clocks.

Rephin

Oct 25, 2017
USA

The Xbox One's hardware was revealed in May 2013 and PS4's was revealed in June 2013. It's April, just because Microsoft wants to get the ball rolling early this time doesn't make Sony late to your imaginary reveal party. People need to chill.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
I find it interesting that Rubino also responds saying that the person that wrote the comment is "known to us" and says Jez has heard similar things.

Hard to believe Sony would bungle it that hard though.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
www.tweaktown.com

We saw the PS4 in June. OP what are you talking about

Status
Not open for further replies.