• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Aesthetically Geralt is a great fit. I am not against someone like Zoro from One Piece, but he seems as if he would be ill-fitting just because giving him a more realistic face would kind of go against everything that makes One Piece special.

That said, not knowing a terribly large amount about The Witcher franchise means I have no real understanding of how he will play. Going through this thread I see people mentioning a difference of silver and steel weapons, but is there much beyond it that would make him stand out against other sword users in Soul Calibur?

Maybe it will finally get me to sit down and play The Witcher games too. Tried 1 but it is really not my style of game at all. 2 and 3 look more like something I would enjoy a lot.

Yup best selling version of SCII to this day

That shows the power of Link. I mean for Soul Calibur 2 on Gamecube to challenge the version of the best selling console of all time. That's impressive !

This is a myth. The PlayStation 2 version far outsold it. It should be obvious considering that Soul Calibur III never came to GameCube.

fauxcalin

Dec 20, 2017
This is a myth. The PlayStation 2 version far outsold it. It should be obvious considering that Soul Calibur III never came to GameCube.
You're actually completely wrong. If you check the best selling games list for both youll find SC2 sold 200,000 more copies on GCN than PS2. Just ctrl + f and find soulcalibur and you'll see the stats.
Sources: http://m.ign.com/articles/2004/01/24/graphs-soulcalibur-ii-sales -shows that the game initially sold more on GCN
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_GameCube_video_games -lists a 1.5 million GCN sales figure
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PlayStation_2_video_games -lists a 1.3 million sales figure

Oct 27, 2017
That said, not knowing a terribly large amount about The Witcher franchise means I have no real understanding of how he will play. Going through this thread I see people mentioning a difference of silver and steel weapons, but is there much beyond it that would make him stand out against other sword users in Soul Calibur?

In addition to his two types of swords, he's got a wide range of armors, some suited for faster and lighter combat, others heavier and slower. He's also got limited magic in the form of Signs, as well as alchemical potions with powerful effects that poison him if he takes too many. There's a lot of cool stuff they can play around with to flesh him out as a fighter.

Sidenote, you should absolutely play The Witcher 3.

Last edited:

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
You're actually completely wrong. If you check the best selling games list for both youll find SC2 sold 200,000 more copies on GCN than PS2. Just ctrl + f and find soulcalibur and you'll see the stats.
Sources: http://m.ign.com/articles/2004/01/24/graphs-soulcalibur-ii-sales -shows that the game initially sold more on GCN
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_GameCube_video_games -lists a 1.5 million GCN sales figure
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PlayStation_2_video_games -lists a 1.3 million sales figure
The GameCube number listed on Wikipedia is an approximation. Notice how it only lists US and Japanese sales that do not add up anywhere near 1.50 million. Also worth noting that European regions are historically some of Nintendo's weakest markets, so there is no way it could pull ahead there.

It did initially sell better on GameCube, but again if it had somehow sold best overall then why was Soul Calibur III not on GameCube?

In addition to his two types of swords, he's got a wide range of armors, some suited for faster amd lighter combat, others heavier and slower. He's also got limited magic in the form of Signs, as well as alchemical potions with powerful effects that poison him if he takes too many. There's a lot of cool stuff they can play around with to flesh him out as a fighter.

Sidenote, you should absolutely play The Witcher 3.
I glanced through some of the Signs and they look quite cool, but if they bring in the potions to the combat that would be especially cool. I think you have sold me on the concept on him being in this game my friend!

And yeah, I intend to play through at least The Witcher 2 this year.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
The GameCube number listed on Wikipedia is an approximation. Notice how it only lists US and Japanese sales that do not add up anywhere near 1.50 million. Also worth noting that European regions are historically some of Nintendo's weakest markets, so there is no way it could pull ahead there.

It did initially sell better on GameCube, but again if it had somehow sold best overall then why was Soul Calibur III not on GameCube?

Because Sony paid a butt-ton of money to make SCIII a PS2 exclusive?

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain

The game did great on Gamecube. It sold more than 1 million units in the US alone in 2007 on GC !

And according to Vgchartz, Soul Calibur 2 on Gamecube sold better than Soul Calibur 3 on PS2. So that wasn't a good decision to have the game exclusive to PS2...

By the way even if the PS2 version of Soul Calibur 2 sold better worldwide than the Gamecube version ( 2M vs 1.5M ) ; that's quite incredible the game sold that much despite only 20 million Gamecube Installed base vs the 150 million+ PS2 installed base.

Source : https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soulcalibur_II

Source 2 : http://www./gamedb/?name=Soul+Calibur

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
The game did great on Gamecube. It sold more than 1 million units in the US alone in 2007 on GC !

And according to Vgchartz, Soul Calibur 2 on Gamecube sold better than Soul Calibur 3 on PS2. So that wasn't a good decision to have the game exclusive to PS2...

By the way even if the PS2 version of Soul Calibur 2 sold better worldwide than the Gamecube version ( 2M vs 1.5M ) ; that's quite incredible the game sold that much despite only 20 million Gamecube Installed base vs the 150 million+ PS2 installed base.

Source : https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soulcalibur_II

Source 2 : http://www.************/gamedb/?name=Soul+Calibur
VG Chartz is banned on this site for literally making up numbers.

fauxcalin

Dec 20, 2017

It did initially sell better on GameCube, but again if it had somehow sold best overall then why was Soul Calibur III not on GameCube
Sales data isn't lying these are cold hard numbers bruh that point for you is an L.
Also the reason SC3 didn't come to GCN is simple Nintendo 1. Already had a soulcalibur on the system and by 2005 Wii was in development so their efforts were spent on that than getting sc3 on Gamecube maybe they wanted it on Wii. And even more likely is 2. Project soul didn't have enough money for the licensing cost for another Nintendo character. Either way there are valid explantions for the better over all sales of GCN SC2 (this is fact), and the reason sc3 didn't happen on a Nintendo console so again you're completely wrong.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Bandai Namco S.E.A's twitter retweeted that Geralt tweet before deleting it. Couldn't grab a shot though but I think it's out there.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Sales data isn't lying these are cold hard numbers bruh that point for you is an L.
Also the reason SC3 didn't come to GCN is simple Nintendo 1. Already had a soulcalibur on the system and by 2005 Wii was in development so their efforts were spent on that than getting sc3 on Gamecube maybe they wanted it on Wii. And even more likely is 2. Project soul didn't have enough money for the licensing cost for another Nintendo character. Either way there are valid explantions for the better over all sales of GCN SC2 (this is fact), and the reason sc3 didn't happen on a Nintendo console so again you're completely wrong.
Did you even read what you posted? These are not solid numbers, it is an approximation. Wikipedia does not even have any European GameCube numbers.

PlayStation 3 was in development at the same time and was listed to be released earlier than Nintendo Revolution was by more than half a year by that point, so that does not make sense. No reason to have a Nintendo guest when Soul Calibur III did not even have a guest character period. You are just taking random shots in the dark now. The least you could have done was say Sony paid for exclusivity (which would make sense), even if we have no proof that it happened.

Jan 11, 2018
I'm happy to see a cross over that actually makes some thematic sense.

Agreed. So far, only Ezio fits that bill. And maybe to a certain extent Heihachi and Lloyd (who was in SoulCalibur Legends on Wii). Worst part about Link having been a guest character in the past is that there are now a ton of thirsty Zelda fans begging for him to come back almost every time the series is being discussed, and them obviously not caring about the franchise if he's not in it. I'd rather see Zelda in her Twilight Princess incarnation join the fray if they're going there again. But preferably they'll pick someone from Fire Emblem, whenever Nintendo gets another SoulCalibur game.

Another male guest character, the 2B dream is dead.

No need for androids in the 16th century ;)

Realeza

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have not played a SC since 2, but I'll get this because of MOTHERFUCKING Gerald of Rivia.

SecretCharacter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado Springs, CO
Presumed, since no matter how you slice it, even if SCII did end up selling better on PS2, the GC version was still a big success and the Xbox version still did well, so there was really no reason to drop the all three platforms model for the follow-up.

Unless you consider development costs based on arcade architecture, making ports for lower selling systems doesn't seem like a good idea. I don't believe Sony paid out, but rather Namco just opted to use the hardware model they were used to.
SC 2 was originally developed on System 246 hardware, which was essentially a PS2. It just makes sense to keep it on that system.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really want this dude for SCVI, but at least I hope his gameplay looks fun if he ends up being in. I want some 2B!

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
My guess is this will be Geralt fighting some other SC character that hasn't been revealed for SC6 yet (Sigfried plz).

Oct 26, 2017
My guess is this will be Geralt fighting some other SC character that hasn't been revealed for SC6 yet (Sigfried plz).

Geralt's a Witcher, and Witchers fight monsters.

I predict trailer features Maxi and Astaroth. Astaroth uses his super on Maxi. Cut to SC6 title. Fade to black..."Damn, you're ugly". Astaroth turns around and Geralt is standing behind him brandishing his silver sword.

EDIT: More realistically, Geralt will probably be shown fighting Nightmare if we don't see Astaroth.

Last edited:

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
I really hope this game has 8 v 8 random team battle. If it supported up to 4 players, 2 players on each team that would be even better. You could just have each new character be played by the next player.