• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 9, 2018
This is pretty saddening. Like... ignoring the logic here which is pretty suspect tbh, it just sucks that we're only getting Mario and Donkey Kong stuff. I was really looking forward to Pokemon and Zelda stuff, you know?

Nama

A Big Deal
Nov 2, 2017
I get execs undervaluing Zelda but its hard to believe that they are dumb enough to not recognize how big Pokemon is. This feels like holding cards for another publicity cycle or when they have more space to devote to Pokemon. Suppose Pokemon IP could also brings complications to revenue splits that Universal might not wanna deal with since it would require more Pokemon Company involvement.

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

But isn't Pokémon like...the biggest franchise of all time?

This is very confusing to me.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
This is pretty saddening. Like... ignoring the logic here which is pretty suspect tbh, it just sucks that we're only getting Mario and Donkey Kong stuff. I was really looking forward to Pokemon and Zelda stuff, you know?

There isn't any good evidence at this point to suggest that Universal acquired the full Nintendo catalog to only utilize Mario and DK.

kaisere

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Universal is a frustrating company. I'm a local so I enjoy going to the theme parks quite a bit but when you look at what they have added to Universal over the last 10 years vs what Disney has done it is uninspired as a whole. Harry Potter was a huge home-ru n with an amazing themed area and a spectacular ride, Diagon Alley is super cool as is the train, but the ride there sucks and every other ride they have put in is a train or car with screens. The Transformers ride is literally the Spider-Man ride in the theme park n ext door, the Jimmy Fallon ride is literally a show-sized screen ride, the King Kong ride is a screen ride where you look left and right instead of ahead, and the FnF ride is literally just the King Kong ride but less cool. The Rip Ride Rocket coaster is the only ride they've put in that place in the last decade that doesn't have some sort of screen, which is insane, and they wonder why people lose interest.

The areas that they were rumored to be using for these desperately need some TLC. I love the Lost Continent but they cannibalized half of it for HP so it needs to be redone, and KidZone could really use something new.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny ready a lot of hot takes in here of people not realizing a Pokemon theme park area was never actually announced. Can't really cancel something that didn't exist in first place.

Also, don't forget. Universal likes to build stuff first and then announce it. Disney will announce it years in advance, but Universal Studios will build for 2 years a big project and then be like "introducing XYZ! Coming in... Um, now"

That new Harry Potter coaster is nearly complete and has barely been announced yet. Lol

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Universal is a frustrating company. I'm a local so I enjoy going to the theme parks quite a bit but when you look at what they have added to Universal over the last 10 years vs what Disney has done it is uninspired as a whole. Harry Potter was a huge home-ru n with an amazing themed area and a spectacular ride, Diagon Alley is super cool as is the train, but the ride there sucks and every other ride they have put in is a train or car with screens. The Transformers ride is literally the Spider-Man ride in the theme park n ext door, the Jimmy Fallon ride is literally a show-sized screen ride, the King Kong ride is a screen ride where you look left and right instead of ahead, and the FnF ride is literally just the King Kong ride but less cool. The Rip Ride Rocket coaster is the only ride they've put in that place in the last decade that doesn't have some sort of screen, which is insane, and they wonder why people lose interest.

The areas that they were rumored to be using for these desperately need some TLC. I love the Lost Continent but they cannibalized half of it for HP so it needs to be redone, and KidZone could really use something new.
Universal Studios loves their screen rides. That's kind of their thing. I wish they would add more physical attractions, though, even though I like most of the Universal Studios rides.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny ready a lot of hot takes in here of people not realizing a Pokemon theme park area was never actually announced. Can't really cancel something that didn't exist in first place.

Also, don't forget. Universal likes to build stuff first and then announce it. Disney will announce it years in advance, but Universal Studios will build for 2 years a big project and then be like "introducing XYZ! Coming in... Um, now"

That new Harry Potter coaster is nearly complete and has barely been announced yet. Lol

I'm not even sure what their plan is on that. Seems like they would want to announce it to get people ready to book vacations... unless they don't want to make people wait on coming to the parks?

Also there's that T2 replacement that's Bourne except it isn't announced that it's Bourne. lol

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
gonna scrap it all for fortnite land, which is what the kids really want
What is sad is that could so be a thing. Floss machine, build-a-fort jumping castle, Llama something and trolley rollercoaster.

Though I guess that is the stupid thing about theme parks, they take so long to build up their attractions that theming them on anything remotely socially flowing like a video game is going to be a risk of it being outdated when built. In saying that, Pokemon of all things has kind of shown its power. Heck have it tie-in with Pokemon Go and watch them dollars rain.

BuckRogers

Apr 5, 2018
Universal Studios loves their screen rides. That's kind of their thing. I wish they would add more physical attractions, though, even though I like most of the Universal Studios rides.

They have two coasters in development (Harry Potter and Jurassic World). Frankly, I find this news surprising just because Universal seems to be pouring a ton of money into the parks, and if there's one thing they need it's IP to base rides around. Also, the reason given in the article is ridiculous.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even sure what their plan is on that. Seems like they would want to announce it to get people ready to book vacations... unless they don't want to make people wait on coming to the parks?

Also there's that T2 replacement that's Bourne except it isn't announced that it's Bourne. lol
Yeah it's interesting. There is apparently a rumourred high thrill Jurassic Park/Word roller coaster apparently coming to the area, can't wait to see how they avoid mentioning this huge track going all over the place. Lol

I do hope they announce that new Harry Potter coaster date soon, so I know the min when to go.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've never understood how they put as much faith as they did into the Fast and the Furious ride, what you could really expect from the Disaster ride system? We'll see what happens, but it seems absurd that that ride's inevitable meh quality would cause them to substantially change their plans

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This better be not true or a half truth. I need a Zelda attraction, cmon! Some sort of Mario attraction at a theme park was only a matter of time but I've been dreaming of a Zelda one, which was less likelier, since I was a kid!

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
As a theme park management major I don't understand their decision at all.

Even if they were afraid of building a Pokémon ride. They need to have heavy merch of it in the parks. Imagine a store where you could adopt a Pokémon. It would make so much money.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
As a theme park management major I don't understand their decision at all.

Even if they were afraid of building a Pokémon ride. They need to have heavy merch of it in the parks. Imagine a store where you could adopt a Pokémon. It would make so much money.
Snubbing Zelda I can understand to some extent if Universal wants to save a slot for something else, but Pokemon is a mega franchise. If anything, a Pokemon area should have come before the Mario area.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Dampers my excitement for the eventual Super Nintendo Land. Hopefully it's not true.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised and must've gotten cold feet. I think it would be a fantastic attraction for the kiddies. Remember when everyone thought Disney was nutso for spending 500M on the Avatar attraction?

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Snubbing Zelda I can understand to some extent if Universal wants to save a slot for something else, but Pokemon is a mega franchise. If anything, a Pokemon area should have come before the Mario area.

The rumor was that Pokémon was gonna take over Kidzone at Studios but they decided to save it for the new park they're building.

If Universal wanted to cut costs, they could reuse the ride system of Men in Black and make it a ride like Pokémon Snap where you have to get pictures of Pokémon and get the best score.

I honestly don't get Universal at times. It makes me wonder why I'm trying to get a job there lol.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna imagine they have something involving Pokemon coming to their new park. There is too much money to be made. If they want any shot at catching up to Disney they need to cash in on their Nintendo opportunity

Deleted member 19742

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not surprised to hear this in terms of the lack of news there had been on these plans, but yeah, they're pretty much losing a crapload of potential cash by not building at least the Pokemon park attractions.

kaisere

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Oh I know, and it is the most common criticism they receive. It definitely isn't a good thing that screen rides are "their thing", they need more Mummy's and less Spider-man's

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Oh I know, and it is the most common criticism they receive. It definitely isn't a good thing that screen rides are "their thing", they need more Mummy's and less Spider-man's

I agree. Luckily, the Potter coaster looks to be very Mummy-ish with a lot of theming and variety in its ride experience. There's also a high intensity coaster for JP in the works that should help fill the void that the removal of Dragon Challenge created.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I honestly think the 4th Orlando park is getting all the Nintendo rides, and the Zelda and Pokemon parks are just wishful thinking that became rumours and aren't really planned at all. Hollywood has no room, and Osaka is just getting Mario and Donkey Kong for 2020.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When it comes to Pokémon I think that folks forget that there's more headache to deal with due to how protective The Pokémon Company is of their IP, remember they even blocked Amiibo costume for Yoshi Woolly world and that was a Nintendo title. Plus there's also the fact Pokémon is a multimedia empire and is bringing in new Pokémon, character, etc and they all have to line up perfectly for the duration of the generation.

So naturally it makes more sense to stick with a Nintendo IP that is easier to deal with to test out the water to see how a Nintendo theme park works with the public, plus unlike Pokémon IP like Mario and Donkey Kong have their roots from the 80s so it's much easier to attract parents to bring their kids to the park than compare to Pokémon who is about to celebrate its 23rd anniversary this year.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017

King Kong only exists because the good King Kong burned down.

The most frustrating thing they did was replacing Back to the Future with zombie Simpsons.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Mario Kart and DK mine aren't nearly as interesting.

Seems like Disney's cold feet syndrome is a bit contagious to the parks down the road.