• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Dissapointing if true.

Funny how they still haven't done a SINGLE THING in Orlando while Hollywood and Osaka already have the foundation and are building super Nintendo world already.

Mario is going in the third gate, which hasn't started construction.

They are the one to break the rumor that Pokemon and Zelda themed attractions are coming, and the same one to dispel this.

So, who know....?

I'd look to the Inside Universal forums to see which rumors are being corroborated.

Chindogg

Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
I am glad to hear that Fast and Furious bombed though. Hopefully they'll learn that people are bored with moving from screen to screen to watch scenes while being shaken and water thrown at them.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
It's ridiculous to even consider Zelda or Pokemon lands at this point. SNW is already under construction in Hollywood or Osaka. SNW physically can't be under construction yet in Orlando because the third gate itself hasn't begun construction (likely 2022 or later), and Universal already has other attractions slated to open in Orlando in the meantime (Potter coaster, T2 replacement, JP coaster). More Nintendo IPs will assuredly come in time, but to act like the sky is falling when Nintendo is literally being built as we speak, or is planned to be built in Universal parks is a bit premature.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You don't stand in a line. You go in and they give you a ticket that has one of 6 colors in it. You go from room to room, transitioning when your color is called. It's more like a lounge with silly touchpad games and live entertainment based on Fallon skits.

Sounds shitty. Is it?

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
If true, i hope to someday in 2030 watch a video about what could it be in Defunctland.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
It's ridiculous to even consider Zelda or Pokemon lands at this point. SNW is already under construction in Hollywood or Osaka. SNW physically can't be under construction yet in Orlando because the third gate itself hasn't begun construction (likely 2022 or later), and Universal already has other attractions slated to open in Orlando in the meantime (Potter coaster, T2 replacement, JP coaster). More Nintendo IPs will assuredly come in time, but to act like the sky is falling when Nintendo is literally being built as we speak, or is planned to be built in Universal parks is a bit premature.
Plans are for things you do in the future. Cancelling means they are not doing those things in the future.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
It's so weird to me, they're afraid it won't prove successful to justify giving the Nintendo part the same space as the Wizarding World, so they remove the inclusion of the biggest multimedia franchise in the world? What? It's straight up self-sabotage.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
One could argue that maybe The Pokémon Company supposedly pumped the brakes on the Pokémon attraction (though it would be a weird decision, even by TPCi standards), but I'm baffled as to why Universal Studios could potentially cancel the Zelda attraction.

Chindogg

Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
Sounds shitty. Is it?

Nah it's a lot better than standing in a line. You just kinda chill out and look at stuff. There are even chairs and couches.

I'm sorry, how was that ride expensive? Paying the actors salaries? Because holy shit, that ride is offensively bad. It is loud, boring, and not even fun.

They spent a ton in construction and there were a few setbacks that delayed the project a full year. It was a huge blunder.

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
If true, we live in a world where fucking Avatar can get a fully themed area in Disneyworld, but Pokemon and Zelda can't lmao.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
It's so weird to me, they're afraid it won't prove successful to justify giving the Nintendo part the same space as the Wizarding World, so they remove the inclusion of the biggest multimedia franchise in the world? What? It's straight up self-sabotage.

SNW is under construction currently at multiple Universal parks. The land size looks to be comparable to Hogsmeade or Diagon Alley and will feature multiple new rides.

The lack of details on the attractions has been a bit curious.

Universal hates releasing info on their attractions until right before they open. It's very frustrating.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
No kidding. Given the popularity of Harry Potter at universal, you'd think they'd be desperate for another one of those. Especially considering how dated some areas of the park are getting... I visited recently and I'm sure they could repurpose a few different areas of the park no problem
I went to the Harry Potter world in Orlando back in the winter of 2010, and holy fucking God was that a nightmare. I had a blast, but we had go wait in line around noon for a good 2 hours to get a pass that said come to the Harry Potter gate at 5 to be let in. We barely made the cutoff by like 20 people, and that was legit the whole reason we went.

We finally get in and it was like hell. I've never really seen so many people that close together. We went to the candy shop, and you had to wait in a line to get in. Once you got in, there was a still a fucking line to walk through the store once, then it would end at the register.

Where a new fucking line to go outside started. We got on the roller coasters, expecting a 3 hour line, but no. There was literally no line. I rode each of the dragons like 3 times, and that was withinga 25 minute period. They actually shepherded us through the employee entrance so they could keep the coaster filled and keep it running.

It was fucking magical.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, there goes our chance at having a real life version of Pokemon Snap.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nah it's a lot better than standing in a line. You just kinda chill out and look at stuff. There are even chairs and couches.

They spent a ton in construction and there were a few setbacks that delayed the project a full year. It was a huge blunder.
Oh I thought the line you described was the ride. So after each game area then what?

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Damn, there goes our chance at having a real life version of Pokemon Snap.

Pokémon is probably going to happen as long as TPC is willing to play ball. I doubt Universal got the theme park rights to the full Nintendo catalog to only execute on Mario and DK. Only question is when Pokémon is coming, and with the current land still being under construction, it could be quite a while.

Zelda is kind of a question mark for me. It's one of Nintendo's biggest properties, but I'm not sure how much mainstream awareness it has compared to Mario or Pokémon. Would be risky to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on a land with a suboptimal appeal (as badly as I would want it).

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Best ride.
957961-mara.jpg

Mr. Chode's Wild Ride

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
They should build Shin Megami Tensei park instead.
Mara-themed rollercoaster that goes through Arioch's mouth
One of those towers that drops you down with a Mishaguji theme
Tlazolteotl log flume
Matador's bumper bulls
Hell Biker's race track
Mother Harlot's carousel (the heads of the dragon spin around)

If you don't know what some of these demons look like, Google them.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
How could any of these execs make it this far into the decision making process and come to the conclusion that the Pokémon IP is the one to drop here.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
"We're not sure if a Pokemon theme park will be successful" sounds like something hard to swallow but so dumb I could believe someone thinks it.

Could be a case where the rights to pokemon are just that expensive that it would take longer then other possible projects to then a profit.

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017
Let's face it: Pokemon would by far be the most popular Nintendo IP they could have at the park.