• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Universal cheaping out on their theme parks isn't too surprising, but there goes any realistic chance of good competition for Disney, lol.

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
it was only cancelled in America, it's still happening in Japan, where it will probably be bigger. So I dunno why the uproar

RetroDLC

Oct 27, 2017
So it's only worth going to Universal Studios Japan then. It's good for the US park to make that decision for me.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
My guess on the Pokemon thing is that Detective Pikachu is about to revolutionize how the mainstream public sees that IP and that movie is Warner Bros, not Universal.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Imagine a suped up Pokemon Go experience where you actually see the Pokemon around the park and can play Universal Pokemon Snap and interact with things in the environment (similar to what they do with the interactive wands in Diagon Alley) and even catch Pokémon.

Imagine a fancy go kart track with sensors on the ground that act as boosters for you, and a 3D or projection screen that will cycle through random items you can use on the other racers. Throw a banana and the closest driver behind you will have there seat shake - maybe a slight wobble of the steering wheel. A grease slick would slow the person down. A shell would make a player come to a safe stop for a second with some seat shaking.

Imagine one of those interactive rides, where you are Link riding Epona and using your gadgets as you travel along the ride. It could even be like some of the attractions where you compete with other players for a high score.

These are things that need to exist by the time I'm a father. Come on Universal, dream bigger darling.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Harry Potter is Warner Bros, which has a huge presence at Universal Studios.

Rowling has a much bigger influence there, and it was originally going to Disney until Disney refused to build the train Rowling insisted on. Universal has no choice in the partnership with WB on Harry Potter as part of that deal, but they may not want to get caught having to make a separate partnership with WB to use material from Detective Pikachu in an attempt to keep the park from looking like the "old" version of Pokemon. Focusing on properties Nintendo controls in their entirety makes sense in that respect, especially if they're trying to keep costs down by cutting back. In that sense, choosing Pokemon as one of the properties to cut out is a more understandable choice. Zelda's a stranger one in some ways but they might be going all in on Mario and ignoring all other properties for now.

Mizavari

Jan 19, 2018
They just missed the opportunity to sell a billion plushies.

But all that said, I suspect the problem isn't that they don't think Pokemon will make money. Rather, it's possible that the licensing fee requested may be too high. They might have decided that it wasn't worth it at that particular price.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine a suped up Pokemon Go experience where you actually see the Pokemon around the park and can play Universal Pokemon Snap and interact with things in the environment (similar to what they do with the interactive wands in Diagon Alley) and even catch Pokémon.
I'd imagine something like what Disney does with their Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom game. They have packs of playing cards you can buy and they have portals scattered throughout the park where you can battle Disney villains with the cards. Do this with Pokemon cards.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This stings but I can live with it knowing that it would have probably wound up being two motion simulator rides that last a minute and thirty seconds with a massive gift shop as the exit. That's all Universal seems interested in these days, anyways.

Plus, hey, we still have Mario and Luigi stuff to whine abo- I mean, look forward to.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
This stings but I can live with it knowing that it would have probably wound up being two motion simulator rides that last a minute and thirty seconds with a massive gift shop as the exit. That's all Universal seems interested in these days, anyways.

Plus, hey, we still have Mario and Luigi stuff to whine abo- I mean, look forward to.
You do know they're building a full Mario Kart track dark ride and a Donkey Kong mine cart roller coaster for the Mario park, right?

AcaKgDi.jpg

Utk9AC5.jpg

Btf50nE.jpg

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
You do know they're building a full Mario Kart track dark ride and a Donkey Kong mine cart roller coaster for the Mario park, right?

AcaKgDi.jpg

Utk9AC5.jpg

Btf50nE.jpg
Yup, that stuff all sounds great too! Let's just keep in mind though that these are definitley exceptions to the design philosophy that Universal has been using over the last few years. I wouldn't be surprised if these were the extent of the physical coaster-like attractions and we instead wind up with more Fast and Furious: Supercharged/Simpsons Ride/etc. motion simulators for the other Nintendo Land attractions.

I wish we could count on more dark rides though. A Luigi's Mansion dark ride with a Men in Black/Toy Story style blaster element would be fucking aces.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No big loss, they'd just be cheap vomit inducing screen based rides like all of their other rides.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Universal are clearly prioritising more important Nintendo properties for the Orlando park. Like Chibi Robo or 1-2 Switch.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
A bit sad by this news if confirmed true.

I guess Nintendo might be still unproven in traditional media which is holding back the expansion plans. This will be easier to sell once the Detective Pikachu and Mario movie drop. Also following up from the Tokyo Olympics and the Japan Parks.

Regardless, in mind the sales potential from the stores should be insane, especially considering the average product is sold at a much higher price than traditional theme park stores.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
This would be an EA-exclusive-Star-Wars-License-tier fumble if true. How can you have such a recipe for easy success and then fail to fully capitalize on it?

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This was never part of the official plan to begin with, so it's not like it's really cancelling anything. Always was a loose rumor.

The original plan only called for Super Nintendo World. I bet after opening the 4th park, they will revisit these ideas.

Also, not sure I believe Comicbook.com either. I'll wait till an actual theme park insider like Alica Stella says something.

Jof

Nov 3, 2017
The Zelda and Pokémon additions were just a rumour to begin with, no?

So this rumour is the cancellation of another rumour?

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
The Zelda and Pokémon additions were just a rumour to begin with, no?

So this rumour is the cancellation of another rumour?

Yes

But it's fun to panic

No big loss, they'd just be cheap vomit inducing screen based rides like all of their other rides.

Credible sources have been saying for a while now that screens are generally going to be deemphasized in Universal's attractions going forward, starting with the Potter coaster.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
Weren't they gonna be small sections? Maybe upgrading plans like they did with Nintendo World

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can't see how something like a Pokemon land wouldn't be immediately back on the table once Super Nintendo World opens. We all know that's basically going to be Potter 2.0 for Universal.

Last edited:

WEGGLES

Oct 30, 2017
The Florida park has Jummy Fallon: Race through New York. One of the weirdest concepts for a ride I've ever been on. Both me and my GF had the biggest WTF did we just experience look when the ride concluded.
I hated the Jimmy Fallon ride. Ugh.

There's no line, just a virtual line. So we check that out. It says like right now is available. So we go in and it's empty. Awesome! Then we get a people card.... And go upstairs and it's packed. We wait in the lobby area for like 45 minutes watching unfunny clips of Fallon. Then they call our colour and we now stand in a line... for like 25 more minutes. We get in and sit in a giant bench and wait another ten minutes cause they gotta make sure everyone's done their belt up... and some people haven't. After all this, it's a goofy 4D ride that lasts like 5 minutes.

It was the longest line we waited in by far, and a very middling ride. We never would have bothered had the virtual line not implied there's no wait. 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about this rumor some more...

I feel like Pokemon Land is an eventuality, but it may not happen for close to 10 years. There's too much money to be made from the IP, and honestly it has always transcended video games as a big multimedia brand. They could have this completely separate from Super Nintendo World and be fine, because it is a big enough draw on its own.

Zelda on the other hand I think works better as a small land expansion to Super Nintendo World in the new park. From what Fantastic Worlds sounds like, it will essentially be multiple "worlds" each with mini lands tied to the IP. So for instance, Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley combined would be a Harry Potter World encompassing two lands. We can assume that this will be how Super Nintendo World is broken down. There will be a large Mario land with the Mario Kart and Yoshi attractions, then an adjacent Donkey Kong land that is smaller and contains the mine cart ride. I think something similar but for Zelda may be the way to go.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What I don't understand is why they don't make a Universal Monsters Land. It's gotta be one of their biggest and most recognizable IP, and they just sit on it. No other park would have anything like it.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Best to remember that both Pokemon & Zelda attractions were never actually announced and that you honestly can't cancel something that was only speculation.

At any rate, even if they do do a Zelda/Pokemon area, it likely wouldn't be until after they start work on the 4th part/Mario World area

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Its impossible to believe that if they have the rights to do it they would choose not to considering its the biggest IP on the planet + has a high budget film out + new game gen + is a perfect fit catering to both kids and nostalgia fuelled adults.

They either haven't got the rights for Pokemon thus can;t do it or do have the rights and are doing it

Deleted member 12009

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing, because it was replacing kids zone, that the Pokemon lands attractions were aimed at very young children and they realized that doing Pokemon in this way would be a mistake.