• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
What everyone was already expecting.

"Valve are tinkering with the idea of welcoming the hugely successful Dota Auto Chess mod and making it an official Valve title. According to VPEsports sources, the tech giant has been thinking of ways to commercialize the Dota 2 mod and offer support and development help as a full-fledged title."

-- https://www.vpesports.com/dota2/news/dota-auto-chess-valve-acquisition

I have no clue how trustworthy this site or their sources are.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Thats what Valve do. I think their only original titles are half life and ricochet. Everything else was from purchasing external teams and ideas/mod. Purchasing the mod would certainly be a good idea imo

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
I'm more surprised they haven't done this earlier. I stopped playing Dota 2 long time ago but I may reinstalling it just to check this out.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Meanwhile in Artifact

200.gif

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
1. what is this site

2. "the tech giant has been thinking of ways to commercialize the Dota 2 mod and offer support and development help as a full-fledged title" is not acquisition

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Not a bad idea at all, but i think this cements Artifact as RIP now, they might focus on this as their new Dota project.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
I've played a fair bit of auto chess and other custom games in both WC 3, SC2 and DotA2. I don't get what makes this one special. It's the same kind of semi-slot as most of these games. Sure it's relatively polished but that's also about the only thing that differentiates it.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
I kind've just assumed this already so I'll just wait for some official confirmation. It fits Valve's MO though and kinda feels like one of the reasons they developed custom games in Dota 2 in the first place.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Knew it, I made a comment on the other DotA Chess thread about this :p

Blizzard made the mistake of ignoring the popularity of a mod and and it ended up a money maker for Valve. I would hope Valve would not make the same mistake, specially with how much data on play time etc... they have access to.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Knew it, I made a comment on the other DotA Chess thread about this :p

Blizzard made the mistake of ignoring the popularity of a mod and and it ended up a money maker for Valve. I would hope Valve would not make the same mistake, specially with how much data on play time etc... they have access to.

I'm sure Valve will try to acquire the dev team and mod. It's their MO and they're expanding into China. Who knows if they'll be successful.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I don't think it's so much rumor as it is common sense. After all they did the same for Dota in the first place and are good at scouting talent/game ideas as they are at making games themselves.