• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This machine is suppose to do 8k ready with only 13GB of available RAM? I think thats not right.

Hopefully MSFT surprise us with 24GB.

Dimajjio

Oct 13, 2019
Hopefully the developers will complain and get them to bump it up. But then again, some in here are saying with an SSD you don't need extra RAM.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Yeah, I'd also like to see more RAM than that if they're serious about 4K+ resolutions. I know it's just over twice as much as current gen base consoles, but 4K is also four times the resolution and RAM is really important for higher resolutions. 8K would be sixteen times... Crossing my fingers for 16GB guaranteed for games minimum.

The CPU and GPU are amazing if those are legit though. 3.6ghz must be single core turbo, right? That's so high for console standards, and would still be amazing if that's single core turbo speed.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
While I know NOTHING will be 8K/120, the thought of some older / indie titles being 4K/120 is pretty cool

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
the SSD sounds like a regular consumer nvme one at 2gb/s. does that mean that sonys is better? since they claimed it was better than anything on the market

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
the SSD sounds like a regular consumer nvme one at 2gb/s. does that mean that sonys is better? since they claimed it was better than anything on the market
It's possible Sony has some custom SSD that has great read speeds but compromises write speeds, which you don't really need to be as good on a console, that would be affordable too.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
It's also possible MS think 2GB/s is fast enough & they can save some cash, on the PC side at least, the difference between Sata 3 SSD vs NVME PCIE 4.0 in game load times is small, i mean like many times a second of a difference. i believe it's because load times grind to a halt once you start loading lots of small files, which games seem to have, makes me wonder if next gen games will be designed differently down the track if possible because of this.

You may find this video intriguing (skip to 3:05):

Caveats are CPU frequency and how data is perhaps structured for PC and console ports. That said, there may be notable differences (not as big of a delta between SSD and HDD, however) between SSD on SATA III and NVMe on PCIE 3 and 4 (if that is what MS are planning instead of soldering the chips, their dedicated DRAM and memory controller directly on to MoBo) depending on the size of files to be loaded and how they are segmented.

The differences between 2GB/s and 3 or 4GB/s (theoretical) read speeds, however, may not yield as significant differences (again, it depends on how much needs to be flushed and loaded) as SSD and NVMe.

All in all, MS are in great place with that kind of read speed.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
You may find this video intriguing (skip to 3:05):

Caveats are CPU frequency and how data is perhaps structured for PC and console ports. That said, there may be notable differences (not as big of a delta between SSD and HDD, however) between SSD on SATA III and NVMe on PCIE 3 and 4 (if that is what MS are planning instead of soldering the chips, their dedicated DRAM and memory controller directly on to MoBo) depending on the size of files to be loaded and how they are segmented.

The differences between 2GB/s and 3 or 4GB/s (theoretical) read speeds, however, may not yield as significant differences (again, it depends on how much needs to be flushed and loaded) as SSD and NVMe.

All in all, MS are in great place with that kind of read speed.

Im surprised MHW loads that fast with Denuvo. Which is almost going to guarantee a console loading advantage next gen.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
A $300 CPU, a $300+ unreleased 12TF GPU with hardware RT, a 1TB NVMe SSD.

All in an affordable package within a reasonable TDP. Sounds like space magic at this point.

There are two things to consider here.

1. Retail prices of components are determined by a variety of factors, including the available competition. Simply put, current prices are set based on what companies think they can get away with today. Once new consoles hit, Nvidia, Intel and AMD will adjust prices accordingly because it is in their best interests for people to keep buying GPUs and CPUs instead of locking themselves to a non-upgradable console ecosystem.

2. We are still roughly one year away from the launch of these consoles. New PC hardware will launch in the next year that will be more powerful than what exists today. By the same time next year the $300 CPU and $300+ GPU may be valued at $200 each or less.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
There are two things to consider here.

1. Retail prices of components are determined by a variety of factors, including the available competition. Simply put, current prices are set based on what companies think they can get away with today. Once new consoles hit, Nvidia, Intel and AMD will adjust prices accordingly because it is in their best interests for people to keep buying GPUs and CPUs instead of locking themselves to a non-upgradable console ecosystem.

2. We are still roughly one year away from the launch of these consoles. New PC hardware will launch in the next year that will be more powerful than what exists today. By the same time next year the $300 CPU and $300+ GPU may be valued at $200 each or less.
Yup, especially #2.
2700X costed about 330€ a year ago. Today, it costs almost half of that (~170€). With the launch of Zen 3 CPUs next year I expect current Zen 2 CPUs to have a similar drop in price.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Yup, especially #2.
2700X costed about 330€ a year ago. Today, it costs almost half of that (~170€). With the launch of Zen 3 CPUs next year I expect current Zen 2 CPUs to have a similar drop in price.
The Competition between CPU's is going to be insane in 2020, Icelake having $99 i3's with HT, making them as good or better than $300-400 i7's from recent years & AMD moving their 8 Core CPU's to mid range, meaning their 6c/12t CPU's are going to be quite affordable even on a budget.
GPU's though....

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Yup, especially #2.

Exactly. Judging the value of devices set to launch one year from now based on today's prices is going to inevitably produce inaccurate results.

AudiophileRS

Apr 14, 2018
Using current gen games as a guide to how much RAM is needed in next gen consoles with next gen games doesn't make much sense to me. We make this mistake every generation and use current convention.

I concede that it was never going to be a 16x increase like before, nor an 8x, but I'd argue 4x (32GB) would have been ideal. Given cost, bus width vs die size and advances in tech such as SSDs and compression<>decompression I'd say 24GB is reasonable; with 16GB being a bare minimum if it is very fast and is all dedicated to games/primary software applications with an additional pool of ~4GB for the OS.

SSDs will help, but only so much, there's still a vast performance gulf between them and DRAM, even if ReRAM were used. Also, we're ~6mths from production, ~12mths from release and RAM prices have come down considerably.

It's not just about graphics, but scope; and if there is only 13GB available for games it may not explicitly 'bottleneck', but I suspect it will limit the scope and design of next gen games. We may still get beautiful graphics like Hellblade II, but do you not want to see vast interactive, living, breathing worlds too?

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019

Ah yes, I forgot about that, Sony did claim that. If they end up having that and perhaps even more RAM too, who knows what other unexpected things they might have. We know that Phil said they aim to be the leader in power and performance, but key word here is aim. It's possible they don't yet know what Sony is doing.

Of course we're only guessing here, it's all we can do.