• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
That ram amount will become a problem later next gen. I hope we don't have a Skyrim situation again. It's least increase we have seen of a generational leap. This gen we saw 16 times increase of ram. And it was great for games as developers never complained about ram size this gen at all.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
That ram amount will become a problem later next gen. I hope we don't have a Skyrim situation again. It's least increase we have seen of a generational leap. This gen we saw 16 times increase of ram. And it was great for games as developers never complained about ram size this gen at all.

With very fast SSDs, RAM shouldn't be a problem. Definitely won't see a repeat of the Skyrim situation as you can't compare PS3 to PS5.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Faster RAM with faster throughput and faster storage means masses of RAM probably isn't necessary.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Is that the lowest memory bump for any gen ever? Doesn't the One X have 12Gb?

120FPS sounds incredibly un-cinematic.
I think we have to ignore the mid gen refreshes when comparing. S has 5 GB of usable RAM, so the jump to 13gb is more than double.

But for sure it's not a huge difference compared to previous gens. The fast SSD means the console will be far less reliant on RAM though as it can stream the assets in quickly only as and when they are needed, instead of storing them in RAM.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Are people really expecting 32gb or RAM or something?
Maybe exclusive 16GB for games at least.

This is the smallest RAM bump we've seen yet. The difference between the PS3 and the PS4 is 16X.

Although not sure how much of a difference more than 16GB could make for gaming.

OP
OP
DukeBlueBall

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I think this might be current dev kit info, not final. There is no mention of VRS or Ray Tracing of any kind, but that SSD speed is most curious to me.

It says in the article.

WindowsCentral said:
Beyond that, Microsoft is also baking in some advanced features developers can leverage to squeeze even more juice out of the system, in the form of proprietary variable rate shading (VRS), with auto low latency mode (ALLM) and dynamic latency input (DLI), with the goal at making it the "most responsive" console ever built.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
2377019-ibudxziu1vhln4.jpg

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beastation 5. What a time to be alive.

No idea why they why are clocking the CPU so high though. 3.2ghz should be plenty.

SSD speeds and RAM look to be kind of on the low side. It seems MS is prioritizing framerates while sony might be going with a faster ssd? I expect sony to top out at 15 gb of ram for games.

Morgan J

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't 3.6 GHz really high? On the other thread ppl where downplaying it to 1.8 - 2 GHz.

And let's complain about RAM now, and after that the weight of the XSX šŸ˜‚

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm sure they talked to developers.
With the work into the SSD that Sony and Microsoft is putting in it's probably less reliant on Ram. Are developers complaining about Ram now when they aren't even using all of it?

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I think this might be current dev kit info, not final. There is no mention of VRS or Ray Tracing of any kind, but that SSD speed is most curious to me.
AMD doesn't have hardware Ray tracing. So if Ray tracing is truly in the Ps5 and Xbox, it's going to be a very different method than what we see with Nvidia.

Mr. RPG

Oct 25, 2017
Beastation 5. What a time to be alive.

No idea why they why are clocking the CPU so high though. 3.2ghz should be plenty.

SSD speeds and RAM look to be kind of on the low side. It seems MS is prioritizing framerates while sony might be going with a faster ssd? I expect sony to top out at 15 gb of ram for games.

What games require more than even 8GB of RAM?

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA

This is the smallest RAM bump we've seen yet. The difference between the PS3 and the PS4 is 16X.

Although not sure how much of a difference more than 16GB could make for gaming.
Perhaps we need to look at things more holistically. Not every aspect will be able to make large leaps over the predecessor and RAM speed and bus width also play a large role here.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017

Keep in mind that the PS3 was widely regarded to have not enough for what the generation demanded and the PS4 came out the gate with double the expectation.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Aren't those specs what they wrote in that article that came out last week?

Nov 8, 2017
Folks need to look into VRAM and system RAM vs a unified pool of RAM. Saying "most PC GPU's only have 8GB" isn't the right way to compare the two.

crespo

Oct 27, 2017

That's one of the specs that really don't need to be linear increases though. That's a big misconception.

As memory speeds, storage access speeds, and software/OS optimization changes, needs for massive amounts of RAM diminish. Even in most high-end PC's 32GB of ram is still wild overkill, much less in a focused console.

OP
OP
DukeBlueBall

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Aren't those specs what they wrote in that article that came out last week?

+CPU 3.6ghz instead of 3.5ghz
+VRS confirmed. (THIS IS HUGE)
www.resetera.com

VRS tier 2 offers up to 50% fps increase for negligible graphical trade-off.

Courtesy of resident expert dgrdsv. In combination with the flop efficiencies, the RPM, the conservative rasterizer, VRS the 10TF+ Navi in the new console might actually perform like a 20TF+ Polaris part in certain scenarios. That's not even including the RT/AI capabilities.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
+ 3.6 instead of 3.5
www.resetera.com

Courtesy of resident expert dgrdsv. In combination with the flop efficiencies, the RPM, the conservative rasterizer, VRS the 10TF+ Navi in the new console might actually perform like a 20TF+ Polaris part in certain scenarios. That's not even including the RT/AI capabilities.

Yeah earlier today I was trying to find out what VRS was, seems like it will help a ton with performance and the player probably won't notice a thing.

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
+CPU 3.6ghz instead of 3.5ghz
www.resetera.com

Big, indeed. This gen is shaping up nicely.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see a lot if people plan to do a lot if 4K video editing with the series x.

13 GB is fine, RAM hasnt been a bottleneck this gen at all.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
High capacity NVMe SSD's (1+ TB's, which WILL be needed for the huge storage requirements for 4k textures) are already very expensive, so i have no idea how they'll be able to keep this anything less than 500$. Even then they'll be selling at a loss.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
So what happened to all these concerns about heat I've seen debated in the next-gen thread of over a year? 3.6 Ghz CPUs. 12 RDNA TF GPUs. All that hardware while this console is supposedly very quiet, according to Spencer.

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't it remored that PS5 has an SSD capable of 20GB/s read speed?

Also does this spec sheet confirms that Xbox is using classic RDNA and not RDNA2 or whatever I read on Twitter the other day?

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
3.6ghz is more than I expected tbh. I was thinking 3.2ghz at best.

You're correct. This 'rumor' (completely fabricated nonsense) seems to suggest it'll have a discrete CPU & GPU -- don't think they're going to pay for that...

The 16GB RAM makes me think whomever fabricated this rumor doesn't know much about computers. 16GB would be anemic for next gen assets.

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As far as RAM goes MS stated before that they needed more than 3gb of RAM to get the dashboard to render in 4k on the X, If they want to get a 4k dashboard and have enough memory to allow multiple games to suspend/resume, 3gb won't be enough.