• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

danrbg

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
So Sony uses RDNA2 or it's custom Sony tech too?
www.sie.com

次世代コンソールゲーム機 「プレイステーション 5」に名称決定 2020年年末商戦期に発売

ソニー・インタラクティブエンタテインメント(SIE)は、次世代コンソールゲーム機の名称を「プレイステーション 5」(PS5)に決定し、2020年の年末商戦期に発売することをお知らせいたします。

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Barely different from what we'd already heard from them?

how many CUs? what features (VRS, RT etc)? How many RT rays/s. Is the CPU hyperthreaded - that only says 8 cores. How many cores/threads available for devs

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
4x's the CPU power
2x's the GPU power
2x's the RAM
4x's as fast hard drive

That's like 16 x's by my count, conservatively really.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
For sure. I think next gen will come out the gate priced high and they'll count on mass production helping the new technology become more commonplace, driving costs down quickly. Sort of like Nintendo did with cartridges, or with low internal storage and counting on MicroSD card prices to drop.

The high cost is also why having a 1080p Lockhart model makes sense.

I don't know why anyone was expecting anything else though. To up games to 4K, introduce an SSD, and still have enough room for overhead over the current generation was always going to require an expensive console. I mean, take the X1X, add a regular 1TB SSD and a new CPU and you're already looking at a $399 console. That's why I've been a proponent of having a 1080p model and a 4K model for a while.

Good analogy re: cartridge model.

Enthusiasm for free stuff ("Next gen $399 for better than a 2080ti and a bucket of chicken!!!!") got the best of us.

Totally agree. The lower priced model with 1080-60/1440/4k30 priced at $399 will sell 80% of the Xbox volume IMO.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
It would be hilarious if PS5 and Xbox Series X end up literally being mirror images of each other spec wise
It will purely come down to who has the best games and online offerings/services

PS5 better have full PS4 backwards compatibility with no smoke and mirrors or extra fees at the very least

Kyussons

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have an idea, so 16 GB RAM in Xbox Series X (Anaconda) right?

And 12 GB is rumored for Lockhart.

Microsoft should drop Lockhart and put its 12 GB back into Xbox Series X.

16 + 12 = 28 GB (24 GB for games, 4 GB for OS),

And done.

Nah, they should release both and let you duct tape them together.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
It would be hilarious if PS5 and Xbox Series X end up literally being mirror images of each other spec wise
It will purely come down to who has the best games and online offerings/services

PS5 better have full PS4 backwards compatibility with no smoke and mirrors or extra fees at the very least

It really wouldn't surprise me. However, Phil appears very confident when he said in interviews after TGA that they will always try to be the leader in power and performance, so hey, who knows.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2080TI base clock, no-OC
what makes you say that? if the 5700xt is equivalent to a 2070 and its roughly 10 tflops then a 12 tflops gpu based on the same architecture would be equivalent to the rtx 2080, no?

2080 ti is a 16-17 tflops Turning GPU. assuming rdna 2.0 has caught up with turing tflops, we are still 5 short of a 2080 ti.

and no i am not using base or boost clocks, i have run many tests on my rtx 2080 and it almost never dips before 1.9 and stays at 1.95 ghz the entire time. that gets us to 17 turing tflops.

rtx 2080 or maybe 2080 super if rdna 2.0 is really that great is our best bet.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Huh? I haven't seen anything remotely like that rumoured. All that's been said there is faster than the pcie3 drives that were available when the first wired article hit.
Yeah honestly... given the SSD tech employed in both consoles will probably be very much the same I would be willing to predict that it will be the least important thing to have an advantage on. Like if MS for example has SSD tech that theoretically could load Spider Man in 0.4 seconds while PS5 does it in 0.8 seconds that's like... nothing anyone will notice or care about outside of YouTube comparison videos and systemwars fuckery on forums. It's gonna come down to who has the best CPU/GPU solution and features on the chipset to really let devs take advantage of every last drop of potential coming from XSX/PS5.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
'tis a beast.

What I am really surprised by:

1. CPU speed. I was not expecting anything above 3.2GHz given the power consumption according to the overclocking info for Ryzen as shared on the old next gen speculation thread increased sharply after around 3GHz.

2. GPU TF count. I was expecting 12TF GCN. For them to pull off 12TF RDNA shows gains from the second generation production/fab efficiency. IIRC, it was going to be around 5% extra performance for the same frequency and so this is a real surprise.

3. RAM allocation. Given MS is most likely not holding back with their premium model, it may very well indicate the upper bounds for RAM allocation and PS5 may also see the same fate.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Every previous console generation has been about a 10x increase in RAM on average.

evary PlayStation gen has been exactly 16x ram increase .ps1 2Mb; Ps2 32MB; PS3 512MB; PS4 8GB

but you have to consider the speed of the storage medium.

ps1/2 read directly from super slow optical media .But they only had relatively small memories. Still your need to reserve some ram for assets in the world that you couldn't guarantee to load quickly enough from the optical drive

ps3/4 read from much faster HDD but had more ram to fill. And the HDDs were still hundreds of times slower than ram so again you needed large reserves of ram for assets. Especially with ps3/4 expanding more into streaming tech that open world games use

with ps5 everything changes. A fast SSD can read data (and seek) so much quicker than HDD that you can reasonably shrink the ram cache a lot because you can bring in new assets in demand much more quickly.

you almost need to go back to the drawing board to calculate how much ram you need. Using profiling tools you can probably estimate quite well what figure would be efficient. Then it's a question of whether you can support that in your HW design and budget

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
'tis a beast.

What I am really surprised by:

1. CPU speed. I was not expecting anything above 3.2GHz given the power consumption according to the overclocking info for Ryzen as shared on the old next gen speculation thread increased sharply after around 3GHz.

2. GPU TF count. I was expecting 12TF GCN. For them to pull off 12TF RDNA shows gains from the second generation production/fab efficiency. IIRC, it was going to be around 5% extra performance for the same frequency and so this is a real surprise.

3. RAM allocation. Given MS is most likely not holding back with their premium model, it may very well indicate the upper bounds for RAM allocation and PS5 may also see the same fate.

devils advocate:

1) could it be no hyper threading to help hit higher clocks?

2) it says 12TF, and RDNA. Doesn't necessarily mean 12 RDNA TF. Although it probably does

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
If 13GB is only available to developers that's the ballgame isn't it?
I.e. what if PS5 has 12GB of RAM that is fully available to devs, plus 4GB of slower system RAM for the OS, and a faster SSD than XSX?
You're basically at the same amount of memory available (well, going from 12GB to 13GB on XSX is more, but probably not very noticable)
Of course, MS could always make more memory available with future updates after making numerous optimizations as time goes on, which is probably likely...

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
devils advocate:

1) could it be no hyper threading to help hit higher clocks?

2) it says 12TF, and RDNA. Doesn't necessarily mean 12 RDNA TF. Although it probably does

1. I am unfamiliar with the concept of HT beyond the fact that Ryzen is said to have at least 2 independent threads per core. So 16 threads in total.

2. Not impossible but that would be quite the selective cherry picking.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
If 13GB is only available to developers that's the ballgame isn't it?
I.e. what if PS5 has 12GB of RAM that is fully available to devs, plus 4GB of slower system RAM for the OS, and a faster SSD than XSX?
You're basically at the same amount of memory available (well, going from 12GB to 13GB on XSX is more, but probably not very noticable)
Of course, MS could always make more memory available with future updates after making numerous optimizations as time goes on, which is probably likely...

if you had a significantly faster SSD (eg like reram), how effective would that be at giving devs the equivalent of a larger 'virtual' ram pool? I mean that's what the SSD is already doing - that 13GB will effectively be much higher due to how quickly you can swap things in and out

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
y'all are ignoring that last gen games are built with the requirement that the gameplay systems work at like 6gb of RAM because of base Xbox and PS4. This is a big leap once cross gen dies.

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
I want to see the power draw of those specs.
But they look, impressive even if they can fit that to 200w

Last edited:

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
2019 and we're still trying to directly compare Nvidia and AMD FLOPs. Stop it, get some help.

Specs are about what we all expected tbh, just give it to me already.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Hardware based Ray Tracing solution but using RDNA not RDNA2? This is weird...
Maybe it will help keep the MSRP <$500?

if you had a significantly faster SSD (eg like reram), how effective would that be at giving devs the equivalent of a larger 'virtual' ram pool? I mean that's what the SSD is already doing - that 13GB will effectively be much higher due to how quickly you can swap things in and out
Ah, right.

The calculus for determining what a system can actually do today is mind-boggling. It used to be so much easier to see the writing on the wall (even last gen, but especially last decade); today it's like a puzzle trying to figure it all out.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Base 2080 TI is 11.5TF to 13TF no OC? What ever is in Wikipedia.

But if we're using the boost clock 2080TI in people's PC's, 12TF RDNA would still be a tier under.
They are using hilariously low base and boost clocks to get that 11.5-13.5 tflops. 1350 and 1540 mhz. if the rtx 2080 ti is anything my regular Non OC'ed RTX 2080, it regularly spends time in the 1.9-2.0 ghz range. if anything i distinctly remember seeing quite a few tests where the 2080 ti runs at over 2.0 ghz. thats a 17 tflops turing gpu.

thats why it gives almost 40-50% better performance than a rtx 2080. 2944 vs 4352 stream processors or 46 vs 68 CUs in AMD terms. its a massive difference.

i mean you dont believe that a 2070 is a 6.4 to 7.3 tflops gpu, do you? its actually much closer to 9 tflops if Nvidia was using actual game clocks.

Same goes for a 2080 which is 8.9-10 tflops. again, bs clocks that i was able to confirm myself. they have the boost clock set at 1.71 ghz when i have seen it go up to 2050 mhz. it regularly stays at 1.95 ghz whenever i play games. which gets us 11.5 tflops.

2080 is what im expecting from a 12 tflops rdna gpu. maybe more if they are based on rdna 2.0. and definitely more than 2080 super if the ps5 is 14.2 tflops. but still far far below the 2080 ti.