• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
2 Gbs for the nvme drive seems slow to me. Even pcie 3.0 can hit 3.5 Gbs let alone the speeds for pcie 4.0 which hit 5.0 Gbs

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
The systems these GPUs are tied to also have 16-32GB of high-speed RAM.

4GB of system RAM is enough for most games, the outlier in that video is Rise of the Tomb Raider, which could be poor coding.

13GBs on Xbox will be dedicated to games. I just started up Far Cry 5 on my PC and it was using almost 3GBs of System memory. If the memory were split on the Xbox this would still leave 10GBs for graphics, which is pretty close to the 2080TIs 11GBs. But you have to factor that some of the RAM usage on the System memory is duplicated in the GPU memory. So, even if that's only 1GB, I'm thinking more, but that would still result in 11GBs for Graphics, which seems like plenty for next gen. I'm betting closer to 12GBs will fully be available for graphics.

Also factor a super fast storage with a powerful CPU. I was loading FC5 and my poor 6600K was maxed out, this was from an HDD.

Nov 8, 2017
The more I think about this, the more skeptical I become. On a presumably 4K console, 32GB of unified RAM makes far more sense than 16GB, and is cheaper than what a 2TB ssd would cost. Yet the RAM rumor is 16GB... AND the ssd size is undisclosed. Seems like the source is just throwing things at the wall to see what sticks. A 12TF GPU and a high clocked zen 2 chip... This TDP is gonna be high for a console as well.

The form factor makes perfect sense for cooling. So far that's the only bit of info we have that makes sense. It's also the only bit confirmed by Microsoft. I'm gonna hold of for more info from them. Or at least a more sensible leak/rumor

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Perhaps they figured texture quality and size can't get that much bigger than it currently is, and lighting, shaders and RT might be a bigger deal next Gen so they didn't need a massive increase in RAM

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Nice to see 12 RDNA TF basically confirmed (maybe certain people in the next gen thread will finally shut up about GCN). I'm curious if it will be over 12 at all, like 12.4 or something.

13 Gigs of RAM available to games does seem a little low (?) in relative terms to the rest of the rumored specs. Either way SX is a beast I'm very happy about that.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
How much more powerful is next gen CPU to current gen jaguars on xbone/PS4 with those clock speeds and architecture? Is it really 4-4.5x? That's a similar gap with last gen on 360 to xbone. IIRC, switch is close to 2x CPU of 360, and Xbone CPU is believed to be 2-2.5x faster than Switch. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

I get that CPU isn't developing at a fast rate as GPU, and that would put the switch even more behind on getting ports.

Think I said this before but I'm not worried too much on 16GB RAM. 2.5x more RAM available for games vs xbone base, and the RAM is much faster.

Would be hilarious if Sony reacts by having 20-24GB of RAM at the last minute.

Last edited:

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
Lol the number of people thinking 16gb of RAM is low continues to remind me that most people on this forum really don't know what they're talking about.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Wait what??? The CPU clock speed increases day after day? from 3.2 to 3.4 to 3.5 in previous article and now 3.6 Ghz? Tis will stay high end for a long time if true.

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
I'll caveat this by saying I know very little about computers...but I always see 16 GB of RAM recommended in the PC Builder thread and on PC Partpicker, etc...even for top of the line gaming builds...yet so many people in here are mentioning that 13 GB for games is surprisingly low. What's the difference here or what am I missing? Thanks!
You are correct under the initial assumption of 16GB being enough. It is somewhat misguided to suggest more than that will be necessary based off previous console generations memory increases.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That sounds reasonable and within expectation. Not the most latest components as compared to PC when it releases, but new enough for consoles.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
That sounds reasonable and within expectation. Not the most latest components as compared to PC when it releases, but new enough for consoles.

Not the highest obviously but still very high even for release date. The general consensus was like 3.2 Ghz and many even thought 2.8 ghz.
It's 3.6 ghz which is huge. Talking CPU wise.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
OK what a fantastic future ahead of us. Really glad consoles are getting more investments and are better than ever. I think a lot of people need to eat crow as the specs here are much better than expected. So many technical gurus were wrong even some tech publications.

We went from

-SSD very expensive to maybe NAND and now confirmed NVme drives.
-Max 8TF GPU citing thermals and size to almost confirmed 12TF GPU
- NAVI being same architecture and failure too much more efficient RDNA
-40 CU limit too much higher limits.
-No RT to software supported RT to hardware-based RT
- Weaker cut down Zen 2 CPU single-threaded with lower clocks to almost 3.6Ghz multi-threaded CPU

So, in the end, we are getting such a great package that we should be excited no matter what your console preference is. and someone said These are just buzzwords thrwon around all became true
Ironically the reality is the opposite of discussion for new Nintendo consoles.

We all expect 2x more than Nintendo actually delivers. Lmao

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Is price the reason consoles keep going with AMD?

Perhaps just more of a willingness to do these custom type products. Also AMD make processors too, so everything can be engineered together.

Nvidia have their fingers in a different selection of pies to AMD, with a big focus on GPUs for machine learning , offline rendered ray tracing , 3D production and self driving car video processing.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
For people complaining about RAM, you guys do realize how expensive they are right now? Look at how expensive the Mac Pro 2019 is based on JUST RAM cost.

There's definitely cost benefit analysis going on between going 16GB or choosing to go for more.
I would be very surprised if Sony doesn't decide 20GB of RAM to one up MS next holiday. I bet they are discussing it right now already. Higher GPU clocks and bandwidth and more RAM. 4GB DDR4 Ram for OS only. LOL

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
Going through these threads is fun but as a computing novice, it's so difficult to tell who knows what they're talking about and who's full of absolute shit, I think it's honestly about %5 former, %95 the latter.

God damn it's glorious.

Oct 25, 2017

Honestly, if you polled most folks a year ago on expectations this they would have expected significantly less. This is nowhere near expectations. This gen leap is much better than last gen. This console is a monster.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, if you polled most folks a year ago on expectations this they would have expected significantly less. This is nowhere near expectations. This gen leap is much better than last gen. This console is a monster.

I am going by the expectations this year and not outdated expectation from last year.

Modern games didn't need 5 gb of RAM in 2013 either, we are talking about future proofing here.

To be fair I think its fine since the console needs to be priced cheap.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Would it really be that much more expensive for Xbox to go with Nvidia,/intel
Thing is, AMD can give them a good GPU and CPU combo at a competitive price. With Intel and Nvidia they would have to do separate deals. Plus AMD actually has the better and more efficient architecture now at 7nm versus Intel, while Nvidia is still using 12nm

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Would it really be that much more expensive for Xbox to go with Nvidia,/intel
They'd lose shared memory — the chances that Intel does a 180 on policy and shares chipset IP with Nvidia so they could build a shared architecture are pretty near nonexistent. Now you're in a more common PC with dedicated GPU scenario with CPU and bus bandwidth spent on copying data from main CPU memory into the GPU's dedicated memory.

Perf/watt is worse with Intel, so you're either losing clock or building a bigger box/cooling solution with a larger PSU (some of the efficiency gains with Nvidia might offset this tho)

Intel doesn't really have a semi-custom unit like AMD does. Both Microsoft and Sony have gotten AMD to add custom instructions/micro-architectural features to their CPUs (the X One X has some neat nested page descriptor caching, to reduce the CPU cost of the hyper visor and VM translations to improve the speed of emulating the 360).

OP
OP
DukeBlueBall

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I would be very surprised if Sony doesn't decide 20GB of RAM to one up MS next holiday. I bet they are discussing it right now already. Higher GPU clocks and bandwidth and more RAM. 4GB DDR4 Ram for OS only. LOL

The last time they were able to do so was because of a just in time density increase to GDDR5. They pretty much had to, to match MS's 8GB.

I predict that both consoles will be extremely close in terms of ram for games.

A $300 CPU, a $300+ unreleased 12TF GPU with hardware RT, a 1TB NVMe SSD.

All in an affordable package within a reasonable TDP. Sounds like space magic at this point.

Console manufacturers pay way lower than MSRP... The APU in the series X, if around 350mm2, is unlikely to be over $200 in cost.