• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ozfunghi

Oct 25, 2017
This is not happening. CEO of CD Projekt RED during today's conference for investors was asked whether any Witcher related game is coming to Nintendo Switch and he replied that Switch is a huge success that they are aware of and if any Witcher game would ever come to Switch they would announce it. I know that this does not seem like he has completely debunked the news but his facial expressions and all that didn't really suggest that something is happening currently.

Link to interview with Adam Kicinski (CEO of CDPR) in Polish. I could translate it but I don't have time at the moment.
Basically this is a "we have nothing to announce at this time". He could also just have said, "no". But i guess that's what his facial expressions were saying, lol. If the game was set to be announced at E3, with all sorts of NDA's in place, do you think he would say "yes, it's coming. Nintendo were supposed to announce it at E3, but since you asked nicely, i'm happy to blow their E3 for them."

This is a bog standard answer, that means nothing. It doesn't mean it's coming, it doesn't mean it's not coming. He's being polite, and doesn't want to blow up any bridges with Nintendo, in case the game is not coming, not to endanger possible future colaboration. If the game is coming, he's simply saying "now" is not the time to talk about it.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Remember that time Blizzard seemingly teased Diablo III on Switch on Twitter and then denied that's what they were doing and said they had nothing to announce?
What these companies say means nothing

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking of too. What these publishers say means absolutely nothing. That doesn't mean it's still necessarily coming but this doesn't really indicate anything either way.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Theres less than two weeks to the next Nintendo Direct. If it doesnt get announced there, i guess its safe to say that the current rumor isnt true at least. Same thing with the Monster Hunter rumor, was suppose to be announced in March/April.

akasha

Jan 14, 2019
Germany
The others mentioned in this thread and in doctre's video (where the idea of Techland doing the port came from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZBGBEq1yR0 ): QLOC, Iron Galaxy, Virtuous. As for QLOC, their head quarter is in Warsaw too and they seem to have a few ties to CDPR: https://q-loc.com/about-us/

All three have demonstrated their talent with some very good Switch ports already.

We have never seen a game as demanding as TW3 ported though, so I'm just very careful with expectations for E3.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2017
Theres less than two weeks to the next Nintendo Direct. If it doesnt get announced there, i guess its safe to say that the current rumor isnt true at least. Same thing with the Monster Hunter rumor, was suppose to be announced in March/April.
Hard to say with Nintendo they do their own thing. Remember WiiU COD games being announced after the others, skipping E3 only to be announced in a direct later.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Hard to say with Nintendo they do their own thing. Remember WiiU COD games being announced after the others, skipping E3 only to be announced in a direct later.

If the port is supposed to release in September, it would be weird for it to skip E3. Diablo III on Switch skipped E3 last year when everyone was expecting it to be announced but it released later in the year.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would be weird but "NINTENDO" means who the fucks knows what they will do.

That's one thing I don't like about Nintendo. At E3 I want to know your big releases so I can plan my purchases. This post E3 major announcements are not fun for me as a consumer. I would not be bothered by if if they did a post E3 Direct for games launching early next year.

Dec 23, 2017
That's one thing I don't like about Nintendo. At E3 I want to know your big releases so I can plan my purchases. This post E3 major announcements are not fun for me as a consumer. I would not be bothered by if if they did a post E3 Direct for games launching early next year.
Yeah they do so much that annoys me as a consumer. They take the attitude of we know what is best for our consumers. This is how you get them not announcing games at E3 and stupid decisions like making voice chat only available through a fucking app.

akasha

Jan 14, 2019
Germany
and stupid decisions like making voice chat only available through a fucking app.

Ah, come on - what happened right after Smash Ultimate added the stage builder. Their brand involves parental control and safety for children. As a parent you want to trust them blindly that a platform doesn't allow paedos to target your children.

Nintendo seems to focus all efforts on games this generation and leaves away superfluous, easy-to-replace additional functions. I'm mostly fine with this. I'm really fine with setting up voice chat (with alternative, better apps) on a smartphone.

Last edited:

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Ah, come on - what happened right after Smash Ultimate added the stage builder. Their brand involves parental control and safety for children. As a parent you want to trust them blindly that a platform doesn't allow pedos to target your children.

Nintendo seems to focus all efforts on games this generation and leaves away superfluous, easy-to-replace additional functions. I'm mostly fine with this. I'm really fine with setting up voice chat (with alternative, better apps) on a smartphone.
The voice chat on smartphone is way worse. The app is really bad and also it works with very few games and has random restrictions on it

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Are people forgetting Bethesda wouldn't even confirm Skyrim was coming to Switch despite the fact they literally showed it in the Switch reveal video? lol

Oct 27, 2017
The voice chat on smartphone is way worse. The app is really bad and also it works with very few games and has random restrictions on it
I believe they are talking about using different apps for communication, like discord.

Personally I prefer using discord for online chat. We can communicate with people who are not on their console, and it becomes easier to set up play sessions because of it.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Still can't wrap my head around how many people believe such a port could ever be feasible. We're talking about porting one of the most massive open-world of this generation on a console that clearly struggles with this kind of game. I ain't an insult to Switch-owners (as I am one myself) to just admit some games are not suitable to a even harshly downgraded port.
And by Jove let's forget the whole BotW argument - as good as it is TW3 is on a whole other level of scale and game design complexity.
Botw is the most complex game design open world game this and last gen.

You have to go all the way back to Eve Online for potentially more complex systems in an open world and most of the complexity is based on leveraging knowledge to strategize instead of performing mechanical actions.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
No.

Just no.

Look at footage of the Krypt on the switch from MK11. Legit an N64 game. N64 was harsh I'll admit. But it looks very poor.

Maybe Witcher 2, sure. Even that I honestly question, but that game is much more limited in scope.
Look at footage of Warframe on the Switch.

Seriously people, the way these games look and run is on the developers and their budget...

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Still can't wrap my head around how many people believe such a port could ever be feasible. We're talking about porting one of the most massive open-world of this generation on a console that clearly struggles with this kind of game. I ain't an insult to Switch-owners (as I am one myself) to just admit some games are not suitable to a even harshly downgraded port.
And by Jove let's forget the whole BotW argument - as good as it is TW3 is on a whole other level of scale and game design complexity.
So if the game comes and works fine, what would you say ?

I don't see where the switch especially fails when it comes to "that type of game".
It's not like we got a lot to really have a clear idea yet.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, come on - what happened right after Smash Ultimate added the stage builder. Their brand involves parental control and safety for children. As a parent you want to trust them blindly that a platform doesn't allow paedos to target your children.

I believe they are talking about using different apps for communication, like discord.

Personally I prefer using discord for online chat. We can communicate with people who are not on their console, and it becomes easier to set up play sessions because of it.

Off topic

My house hold has two Switch units in it. One is mine and the other belongs to my oldest daughter.

The conversation isn't if we prefer more convenient app. It's that Nintendo didn't include the option to do so in the system natively.

My daughter has a phone so she was always able to communicate with her friends while playing. She also has friends who's families can't afford a phone and monthly bill but we're able to get a Switch for like Christmas or whatever holiday they celebrate from various family members I assume. Communication with her friends who doesn't have a phone doesn't exist because of lack of native voice chat. Even though she's cool with those kids she gets little chance to game with them.

My daughter and her friends all communicate either threw one large FaceTime call where there's 4 to 6 of them at any given time or a phone call where they add each other. Takes them awhile to coordinate everything before any play session.

Anyway, let's get back on topic

While this port may not happen I hope it's real. I would love to do a second play through and romance Triss the second time around on the go.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Both the Switch and Win2 drop to the 22-24 range at times, but the Switch's average is close to 29-30. The only reason the average on the Win2 is higher is because it is not locked to 30 like the Switch is, so in very light scenes (like, if you're staring at the ground and not moving) it can get close to 40fps, which the Switch could do as well if the game wasn't hard coded to stop at 30fps.
Win2 also has to run it lower res than Switch docked to manage playable framerates. And that's using Vulkan, try to use OpenGL drivers and performance tanks due to CPU load.

You *can* get better than Switch performance out of Win2 generally if you do the heatsink mod. But then if you homebrew your Switch you basically level that playing field again with setting chip speeds.

Dec 23, 2017

Good for you but the majority is not. Not having a feature that was on WiiU not available on switch is just dumb. Look at the demographics for switch. Very different from Wii and Wii U. There is no excuse for that one. If you are going to have the app at least put it native on your console.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Good point. Although with Black Ops 2 for WiiU, maybe Activision had some say in it, or that Nintendo wanted to announce it seperately to bring more focus on the WiiU version alone (and not combine it together with the announcement of the PS3 and Xbox 360 version). While Witcher 3 is late release/port. If its being released in September as rumored, it has to be announced soon. But you're right that nothing is a given.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Surely giving games time to breathe away from others can be beneficial, though?

I just don't get using their show as some kind of weird exclusive Argos catalogue for all upcoming Switch games, and the idea that games announced outside of this window are automatically less exciting or interesting is a bit confusing to me.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Look at footage of Warframe on the Switch.

Seriously people, the way these games look and run is on the developers and their budget...
I used to play Warframe on a laptop with the following specs:
Core 2 Duo P7350 @ 2.00 GHz
4 GB RAM DDR2
Nvidia 9600M GT with 512 MB of VRAM

And that was at 60-ish FPS at native 1280x800 resolution. At like medium settings IIRC.

I want this port to be real as much as you do, just because I think it would be cool for it to exist, but let's not get crazy. Warframe runs on a potato.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Surely giving games time to breathe away from others can be beneficial, though?

I just don't get using their show as some kind of weird exclusive Argos catalogue for all upcoming Switch games, and the idea that games announced outside of this window are automatically less exciting or interesting is a bit confusing to me.

If they have so much that they need to give their games to Breath per announcements they can use E3 to announce all their current year line up and have later directs for their early next year stuff and updates.

I say that as an consumer. I like to plan out my purchases way ahead of time and when something gets announced after E3 I get irritated and most likely end up skipping it until a price drop. I'm like that with Sony games also. Except this year besides Trails of Cold Steel II & III I won't be picking up anything much on the PS4.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A Japan-focused MH sounds like monkey's paw wish. And why treat the Switch as Japan-only platform when it is a worldwide success?
what would a "japan-focused" MH even look like? the last several MHs on NIntendo have all done well in the west. I don't consider the changes World made to be "western focused", if that's what you mean

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
if they're making an MH for switch, they'll be showing it off in Japan first, they'll want to get those classic JP sales before the western sales
I don't think it would make a huge difference. I don't think there's any chance they'll stagger releases like the old times again after the success of World

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Warframe literally runs on a potato
4 GB RAM DDR2

And that was at 60-ish FPS at native 1280x800 resolution. At like medium settings IIRC.

I want this port to be real as much as you do, just because I think it would be cool for it to exist, but let's not get crazy. Warframe runs on a potato.
Did you two realize my response was based on the post that used MK11 Krypt as an example of Switch not being able to run things that look and play good. Also both your responses show that WarFrame can "run on a potato" because of how good the developer is, which is exactly what I said...

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
I have to disagree with this. A new MH game will probably only be revealed after the MH World expansion is released
Thats possible. I could maybe have been a bit more clear in my post. I was mostly thinking about the current rumors and what they say, like the Witcher 3 being out in September. And MH for Switch being announced around these times. What happends e.g next year, who knows :)

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The others mentioned in this thread and in doctre's video (where the idea of Techland doing the port came from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZBGBEq1yR0 ): QLOC, Iron Galaxy, Virtuous. As for QLOC, their head quarter is in Warsaw too and they seem to have a few ties to CDPR.

They have all demonstrated their talent with some very good Switch ports already.

We have never seen a game as demanding as TW3 ported though, so I'm just very careful with expectations for E3.
Hellblade is more demanding GPU-wise.
4 GB RAM DDR2

Warframe has had many content updates over the years. Sure, the levels that were first released run on a potato, but the open world areas like Fortuna or Plains of Eidolon, with GPU particles and things like that turned on, are much more demanding, and make the PS4 and XBOX One sweat.

You just have to look at the Switch version in portable mode, the older areas can run at native 720p in portable mode, Plains of Eidolon and Fortuna are more like 432p. Similarly, those older areas could easily do 60FPS or more, whereas Plains of Eidolon and Fortuna see framerate drops, especially when you have dozens of enemies on the screen, four players, and lots of explosions and particles.

Justin Wong

Apr 1, 2019
Did you two realize my response was based on the post that used MK11 Krypt as an example of Switch not being able to run things that look and play good. Also both your responses show that WarFrame can "run on a potato" because of how good the developer is, which is exactly what I said...
Its not necessarily because of how good the devs are; the game is very undemanding in general.

Justin Wong

Apr 1, 2019
Hellblade is more demanding GPU-wise.

Warframe has had many content updates over the years. Sure, the levels that were first released run on a potato, but the open world areas like Fortuna or Plains of Eidolon, with GPU particles and things like that turned on, are much more demanding, and make the PS4 and XBOX One sweat.

You just have to look at the Switch version in portable mode, the older areas can run at native 720p in portable mode, Plains of Eidolon and Fortuna are more like 432p. Similarly, those older areas could easily do 60FPS or more, whereas Plains of Eidolon and Fortuna see framerate drops, especially when you have dozens of enemies on the screen, four players, and lots of explosions and particles.

Warframe is locked to 30 on the switch and regularly drops to the low 20s like 30-40 hours in. It also never runs at 720p in portable mode; 432p is in every situation

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I've played a little more than 40 hours so far and the game always seems to have a slight blur over it
Much of the time, yeah, nobody plays those shitty old areas. But they absolutely exist. (The linear, randomly generated ones) The game is much more demanding in some areas than others, and has also become more technically demanding with the introduction of PBR and GPU particles.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Its not necessarily because of how good the devs are; the game is very undemanding in general.
You are still not getting my point...MK Krypt has NOTHING going on but still runs and looks like shit...

Also, how did the term come up for WarFrame being able to "run on a potato"? Before Panic Button stepped in, wasn't the game having a lot of optimization problems?

Edit: Also did I seriously read that you don't necessarily need to be a good developer to make a game run well even though you think it "should run on a potato"... months back people were wondering how the heck they would get WarFrame and other games running on Switch and now it's just *shrug*?

Last edited:

Justin Wong

Apr 1, 2019
You are still not getting my point...MK Krypt has NOTHING going on but still runs and looks like shit...

Also, how did the term come up for WarFrame being able to "run on a potato"? Before Panic Button stepped in, wasn't the game having a lot of optimization problems?

Edit: Also did I seriously read that you don't necessarily need to be a good developer to make a game run well even though you think it "should run on a potato"... months back people were wondering how the heck they would get WarFrame and other games running on Switch and now it's just *shrug*?
The game never had optimizations problem. It was known for being able to run on the weakest of hardware such as Intel Atoms

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Warframe is locked to 30 on the switch and regularly drops to the low 20s like 30-40 hours in. It also never runs at 720p in portable mode; 432p is in every situation
Play some of the older sections, like many Grineer ones. They run at native 720p most of the time. 432p happens in places like Cetus, Fortuna, or the Plains, which are nothing like older areas.

Uh, does it? Maybe at launch. Panic Button's been working on performance patches since then.

It's actually performed better since I started a few months ago with performance updates rolled in with the recent content patches that caught the Switch version up to the mainline console releases. I recall the game would get a little choppy during defense missions when a lot was going on with a full party, waves of grineer and stuff blowing up. This was back in February, but now that I'm playing way more of those missions to farm relics, and I'm way more acrobatic jumping all over the place with a much better modded warframe, the choppines never happens and this is across several different biomes. I have about 200 hours into it.

Also DE does weekly streams of Switch warframe. Here's last week's stream. Looks and plays great

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2019
I can't say i see this becoming true. While i don't true the Switch's capabilities when it comes to open world, The Witcher 3 is pretty massive and its graphic design is heavily based on what the current consoles can do.

The only way this port can be feasible is by redesigning the game around Switch's power, maybe porting it with the TW2 engine?

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Well, it's a system-based game. Just the interaction with the environment is a notch above the rest, tbh.

I can't say i see this becoming true. While i don't true the Switch's capabilities when it comes to open world, The Witcher 3 is pretty massive and its graphic design is heavily based on what the current consoles can do.

The only way this port can be feasible is by redesigning the game around Switch's power, maybe porting it with the TW2 engine?

I don't really know what you mean by these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.