• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Assasins Creed Black Flag runs on a WiiU At better then last gen resolution/performance
I'm sorry but this is just flat out false information. Per Digital Foundry: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-assassins-creed-4-next-gen-face-off
Those hoping for the Wii U version to slip somewhere in between the PS3/360 and PS4/XO experience are in for a disappointment though. Ubisoft has created a two-tier product and the Nintendo version is very definitely pegged at the lower level. Native 720p resolution is standard here, and the same in-house post-process anti-aliasing solution is also in effect, delivering similar results to Xbox 360 and PS3. In fact, the only points of difference revolve around slightly reduced texture filtering in some scenes, and a cooler overall colour balance that doesn't quite covey the warm glow of the tropical sun quite as well as the other platforms.
And as for performance
The Wii U version consistently falls 6-10fps behind the 360 and PS3 releases, resulting in a jerky, often uneven update and a profound, unsatisfying reduction in controller response.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Thats not happening dude

Do you have proof? And if so any other details that you would like to share?

TheCrackedJack

The WiiU had known CPU issues due to its architecture and lack of documentation. The Switch has a CPU that is both superior to last gen consoles and well documented.

I will own up to being wrong on Black Flags performance. It's been a while. However once again the Switch is more powerful, more modern machine and should easily be able to handle that game.

Last edited:

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
I wouldn't be surprised to see the undocked version be checkerboard 720p aka 360p. The high DPI on the Switch should hypothetically make it look passable and the extra power could be used for greater content density. Docked will probably be checkerboard 1080p

I'd be in awe if they could make this game presentable, but I just can't see it happening. How would they get Novigrad to run? That city routinely brought the PS4 to its knees even after months and months of optimization.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
can Starlink really be considered AAA?
my point was less graphical features and more if Ubisoft presented it as an important pillar. I don't think many will say the game did well, nor did anyone even remember the game until star fox was announced for it. which goes to show that Ubisoft didn't put much money behind it in regards to marketing.

In terms of development budget it's definitely AAA. It's a full on Ubisoft production that was present at back to back E3s.

I'm pretty sure they expected it to do a lot better than it did when they began development.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
I'd be in awe if they could make this game presentable, but I just can't see it happening. How would they get Novigrad to run? That city routinely brought the PS4 to its knees even after months and months of optimization.

Honestly. No idea. Whoever works it out will deserve a lot of praise. Then again Rise of the Tomb Raider basically killed my launch PS4 and that game runs on the Xbox 360 so...

Nov 3, 2017
When there's smoke, there's fire... AFAIK, this is the second leak/rumour of a Witcher 3 NS port. I honestly couldn't be more thrilled about this. It's been 3 years since I played the game and I'm dying to replay it. I hope this gets announced at E3

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
You've been very confident on this for a while now, know anything more than just the retailer listings?

Also, have you given up on Bayonetta 3 in 2019? Seems unlikely given the schedule, there's no chance it doesn't get overshadowed. I think early 2020 is possible and I don't think seeing it at E3 is out of the question

Well there was
-the french retailer leak
-The job listing I found, also heard from a couple others that they heard it was coming
- I tweeted panic button (ceo) about a theoretical port and instead of the usual " we'd love to do that!" I got got " That's a good game"
Now this leak with the box art and even dock skins

Regarding Bayo 3. I still think it can come out this year. PG just said that releasing multiple games close together was their new strategy because if one bombs the other will pick up the slack so to speak. Don't rule out bayo for 2019.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, at least the Digital Foudry video will be an interesting watch. Though I'm Team No Way José for this and GTAV (or really most other big AAA games).

Plum

May 31, 2018
Well there was
-The job listing I found, also heard from a couple others it was coming
- I tweeted panic button about a theoretical port and instead of the usual " we'd love to do that!" I got got " That's a good game"

Could you clarify on the job listing? I can't remember/didn't see that.

Oct 27, 2017
The game doesn't run particularly well on a base PS4, if this were to come out for the Switch as anything other than streaming (it won't), then it'll be heavily compromised and/or run like total garbage.

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
The game doesn't run particularly well on a base PS4, if this were to come out for the Switch as anything other than streaming (it won't), then it'll be heavily compromised and/or run like total garbage.

Or maybe they will cut back some stuff you don't really need like all that foilage and other things. Skyrim remastered took a similar approach. They are a lot of things they could cut back and still look decent in this game.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if the game comes over, I question if CDPR are handling it themselves. probably working with a porting company like Panic or Nixxes

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Or maybe they will cut back some stuff you don't really need like all that foilage and other things. Skyrim remastered took a similar approach. They are a lot of things they could cut back and still look decent in this game.
That would really hurt the game's visual identity.

You are right about Skyrim on the Switch though. It has similar foliage density/pop in compared to the 360/PS3 versions

Oct 25, 2017

Only thing is examples like with Doom, Wolf, Warframe, Skyrim that everyone is throwing around, is they are forgetting that these games ran at 60FPS on PS4.

Cutting the FPS in half is already a massive boost.

Witcher 3 "ran" at 30fps on PS4. Some areas chugged like an absolute mother fucker, like that swamp. Switch doesn't have the luxury of the PS4 version running at 60.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
Only thing is examples like with Doom, Wolf, Warframe, Skyrim that everyone is throwing around, is they are forgetting that these games ran at 60FPS on PS4.

Witcher 3 "ran" at 30fps on PS4. Some areas chugged like an absolute mother fucker, like that swamp. Switch doesn't have the luxury of the PS4 version running at 60.

skyrim is 30 FPS on ps4 as well.

as is dragon quest 11. as is hellblade. as is starlink. as is crash. as is yooka-laylee. as is spyro and other games.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

Skyrim was an enhanced version of a last gen game. The Witcher 3 is a different beast. Novigrad on the Switch would likely be a travesty.

Nov 3, 2017
I'd like to see them take a similar approach that Panic Button took with Wolfenstein 2 where they add extra walls to reduce rendering load. I'd even be happy if they subdivided big areas like Novigrad with loading screens.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Yes exactly- that's kinda what I was getting at. If it does happen, then it's not a port we have to worry about imo. It will function, and the downgrades will almost certainly be acceptable to those who don't have other ways to play, or want to play handheld.

As to your first point- you're right, but as we can see from the history of ports, from the arcade to 8/16 bit console ports, to ports from home consoles to handheld platforms in the previous decade, there comes a point where it's just not the same game anymore.

Well Switch is not like other handhelds platform, Switch proved is capabile running full 3D home consoles games,
and not single port yet wasnt labeled like "its not the same game anymore".

The game would never fit on a cartridge anyway, so any type of retail release would be disappointing. Nobody would spend the money needed to get a 32GB cart for a late port.

I mean Doom on PS4 like 50-60GB on PS4, and yet we have Doom on Switch.

First, Skyrim is 30 FPS even on PS4, second, its not point only about PS4, for instance Doom and Wolfenstein run at around 800p and at around 40-50 FPS on XB1, and yet Witcher 3 runs at around 900p on XB1.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
I would be shocked if it's true. It would really look like garbage. Unless it's steaming only.

ma9fld.gif

Oct 27, 2017
I mean Doom on PS4 like 50-60GB on PS4, and yet we have Doom on Switch.
That is true. Just remember, however, that the SnapMap aspect is completely missing from that version and the multiplayer component is also missing from the cartridge.

So, I suppose if we are not actually talking about the entire game being on the cartridge for the Witcher 3, then maybe. If you cut out all the DLC and make it a download, strip all the audio except English and make it a download, perhaps there is a small chance it would fit.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In terms of development budget it's definitely AAA. It's a full on Ubisoft production that was present at back to back E3s.

I'm pretty sure they expected it to do a lot better than it did when they began development.
I got the game and it doesn't look AAA. A lot of the content are especially on story side don't have animation and proper presentation, just image of characters with voice overs. This isn't a AAA Ubi game like Far Cry, AC, Division, Ghost Recons etc, it's AA and that's good since AA should exist healthy on the current industry

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I can see it. The minimum requirements for the PC version aren't very far off from Switch's capabilities.

With clever optimizations, this could run.

The biggest question mark would be cart size.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Unpopular opinion: I don't mind N64 graphics if we get playable versions of ambitious games on the go.
N64 graphics for a port would be a bit extreme but I agree with the sentiment - a Switch port doesn't need to look just as good as the original, and a few graphical compromises here and there are things I'm willing to accept to get great 3rd party games on the go

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Unpopular opinion: I don't mind N64 graphics if we get playable versions of ambitious games on the go.
Looking forward to the n64 graphics
So we got Ark, which is just a scam from publisher. It's not even close to being an example we can use.
At this point, Ark is just a sad joke.
No other big game looks like that so we're good.

Still I think graphics are not important as much as art style (and of course gameplay and so on), so you have a point.
Honestly, I can see it. The minimum requirements for the PC version aren't very far off from Switch's capabilities.

With clever optimizations, this could run.

The biggest question mark would be cart size.
32gb
60$
Could work.
That is true. Just remember, however, that the SnapMap aspect is completely missing from that version and the multiplayer component is also missing from the cartridge.

So, I suppose if we are not actually talking about the entire game being on the cartridge for the Witcher 3, then maybe. If you cut out all the DLC and make it a download, strip all the audio except English and make it a download, perhaps there is a small chance it would fit.
If they can make some game look almost the same as recent consoles versions but a good dozen of gb smaller, they can probably get it close enough to a 32gb card.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Idk, it just seems like general speculation about every possible outcome imo.

The really funny threads to look back on will be the ones about the 'Switch Pro' where everyone is like "it's gonna be a huge power bump and it'll run all my favourite PS4 games and Nintendo will release loads of exclusives for it!!!"
except hardly anyone in those threads says that, easily 99.9% of people there don't. Here on the other hand I would say easily 50% or more are saying such a port will be horrible/unplayable.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017

Well yeah, DLC could be download, but also its not point only about DLC, Switch version would definitely have lower resolution, lower res textures, low res videos and probably more compressed audio compared to PS4 version, all that means much smaller capacity in any case.
So yeah, Witcher 3 port for Switch without DLC at least wouldn't have any problem fitting on 32GB card.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Something like Ark would've been so much cooler if they remade the game into low poly N64 graphics like Turok on Switch looks rather than put out that smeared shit they did.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Something like Ark would've been so much cooler if they remade the game into low poly N64 graphics like Turok on Switch looks rather than put out that smeared shit they did.

They may have been trying to save their reputation, but I remember that the porting studio blamed wildcard for not letting them finish the job and pushing for the release of a work in progress.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
It would be a big get for the system, and honestly just an impressive novelty piece if nothing else... I never really got all that invested in the PS4 version, portability might finally sink its hooks into me.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Well there was
-The job listing I found, also heard from a couple others that they heard it was coming
- I tweeted panic button (ceo) about a theoretical port and instead of the usual " we'd love to do that!" I got got " That's a good game"

Regarding Bayo 3. I still think it can come out this year. PG just said that releasing multiple games close together was their new strategy because if one bombs the other will pick up the slack so to speak. Don't rule out bayo for 2019.

Can you gave link for that pls?

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
I would be shocked if it's true. It would really look like garbage. Unless it's streaming only.
This is actually very close to how it should play when docked, the Switch version might even run a tiny bit better because this has been in development for a long time from how long ago I heard about it originally and had it bought back to light by a source I trust. I think the engine might have been updated to take advantage of mixed precision, which is why it might look better, but the following video is what I'd expect it to look like when docked, and when portable, the new boost mode would help, especially if mixed precision was available, I could see a 600p version in portable.

Status
Not open for further replies.