• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelanflyter

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
France
I don't know if the game will come, but if it happens, it could sell well.
Lots of people have bought a Switch for an open world Zelda, but Switch Library still lacks this kind of games.
I'll probably buy it to finish it ( ever finished the game on my PS4)

lazerface66

Jan 9, 2018
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Technically, it should run at 720p (possibly higher) docked and somewhere around 480-576p undocked. The biggest issue would be fitting it on a cart while maintaining a decent enough presentation (especially on the audio side).

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
This is actually very close to how it should play when docked, the Switch version might even run a tiny bit better because this has been in development for a long time from how long ago I heard about it originally and had it bought back to light by a source I trust. I think the engine might have been updated to take advantage of mixed precision, which is why it might look better, but the following video is what I'd expect it to look like when docked, and when portable, the new boost mode would help, especially if mixed precision was available, I could see a 600p version in portable.

Was it one of the open world games coming to switch which you referred to in the other topic? I still can't believe this game would come, but that would please me very much and and you have no reason to lie.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
This is actually very close to how it should play when docked, the Switch version might even run a tiny bit better because this has been in development for a long time from how long ago I heard about it originally and had it bought back to light by a source I trust. I think the engine might have been updated to take advantage of mixed precision, which is why it might look better, but the following video is what I'd expect it to look like when docked, and when portable, the new boost mode would help, especially if mixed precision was available, I could see a 600p version in portable.

With that framerate I could play about 5 minutes before getting a headache.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

Some stats from the video:
resolution: 720p
Frame rate:
Min: 15fps
Avg: 21fps
Max: 28fps

The question is whether that 21 fps is due to GPU limitations or CPU. If it's GPU, then a dynamic res downwards from 720p could help improve the frame rate. The main question is how the CPU stacks up: is Switch comparable to this rig's CPU?

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Well there was
-the french retailer leak
-The job listing I found, also heard from a couple others that they heard it was coming
- I tweeted panic button (ceo) about a theoretical port and instead of the usual " we'd love to do that!" I got got " That's a good game"
Now this leak with the box art and even dock skins

Regarding Bayo 3. I still think it can come out this year. PG just said that releasing multiple games close together was their new strategy because if one bombs the other will pick up the slack so to speak. Don't rule out bayo for 2019.
I had heard it was panic button, but one of the insiders I talked to couldn't confirm it was them, just that they had heard the port was coming too.
Was it one of the open world games coming to switch which you referred to in the other topic? I still can't believe this game would come, but that would please me very much and and you have no reason to lie.
Yeah, this was one I was referring to.
With that framerate I could play about 5 minutes before getting a headache.
Well it won't be done in Direct X11, NVN should bump the average frame rate from 22 to ~28-30... you have to take into account that the person who did the video here wasn't exactly a team of people porting the game, and like I mentioned they have been working on it for a long enough time that this should be a good port, if it is indeed panic button, I'd expect something close to doom in terms of frame rates, which has improved greatly in recent patches.

Also, on a side note, a Switch Pro with something around an overclocked Tegra X2, would be close to something like this MX150 laptop when docked, just imagine locked 30fps here:

Some stats from the video:
resolution: 720p
Frame rate:
Min: 15fps
Avg: 21fps
Max: 28fps

The question is whether that 21 fps is due to GPU limitations or CPU. If it's GPU, then a dynamic res downwards from 720p could help improve the frame rate. The main question is how the CPU stacks up: is Switch comparable to this rig's CPU?
from 4:34;
Max: 30fps
Avg: 22fps
min: 16fps
Not a big difference, but this was what is listed near the end of the video.
The Geforce 830M in that video has a memory bandwidth of 14GB/s, the Switch has nearly double the memory bandwidth, which is likely the biggest bottleneck here. The API is going to be better on the Switch and Panic Button or whoever is porting the game, will do a better job with configurations to really hone in the Switch's performance, it should only increase from what I listed above. Like I said before too, some of the code might have changed to allow mixed precision too, which would allow it to really have a much higher ceiling when portable.

But to be perfectly honest, this game was one that I thought wouldn't come to Switch because of the performance issues it has, but a new API and mixed precision would make it reasonable, and with these reports of a faster Switch coming, I think publishers will be more willing to bring their games to the Switch, regardless of performance issues the current model might have, and remember Nintendo is willing to increase those clocks for developers like they did for MK11, that is a great sign that what might limit the current model before, isn't limiting it now.

Last edited:

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
If it's Panic Button I have faith. Would be cool if this ended up being the first 64GB cart.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Yeah, this was one I was referring to. Even had heard it was panic button, but one of the insiders I talked to couldn't confirm it was them, just that they had heard it too.

Well it won't be done in Direct X11, NVN should bump the average frame rate from 22 to ~28-30... you have to take into account that the person who did the video here wasn't exactly a team of people porting the game, and like I mentioned they have been working on it for a long enough time that this should be a good port, if it is indeed panic button, I'd expect something close to doom in terms of frame rates, which has improved greatly in recent patches.

Also, on a side note, a Switch Pro with something around an overclocked Tegra X2, would be close to something like this MX150 laptop when docked:

The Geforce 830M in that video has a memory bandwidth of 14GB/s, the Switch has nearly double the memory bandwidth, which is likely the biggest bottleneck here. The API is going to be better on the Switch and Panic Button or whoever is porting the game, will do a better job with configurations to really hone in the Switch's performance, it should only increase from what I listed above. Like I said before too, some of the code might have changed to allow mixed precision too, which would allow it to really have a much higher ceiling when portable.

But to be perfectly honest, this game was one that I thought wouldn't come to Switch because of the performance issues it has, but a new API and mixed precision would make it reasonable, and with these reports of a faster Switch coming, I think publishers will be more willing to bring their games to the Switch, regardless of performance issues the current model might have, and remember Nintendo is willing to increase those clocks for developers like they did for MK11, that is a great sign that what might limit the current model before, isn't limiting it now.

CHeers mate, very interesting insights as always. And thanks for not outright leaking the thing, surprises are always good. Like I said, I'd settle for 25-30fps and 720p/540p docked/undocked.
If this game indeed comes, literally anything this gen can potentially come.
Also, I wonder when they started developing it. My guess is that it happened shortly after Doom and Skyrim SE released, and didn't melt the console while looking reasonably close to their counterparts on other consoles.
I'm not fully a believer yet, but there's indeed a lot of smoke.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
GTAV on Switch? Yes. Same person said LA Noire was coming.

They have also alluded that it may not happen due to cart costs.

Actual source is required. Can't find anything at all. Also LA Noire was released ages and ages ago and was part of a remaster across all consoles, so very different.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Honestly, save the money and time and just port Gwent. If there really is a Switch version on the way, I'll be spending all of my time just playing that and ignoring the main quests all over again.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here. It's definitely possible that it's been canned or shelved, though. That's what NateDrake said about some projects (due to cart costs).

Yeah, that's like 20 months ago, I definitely feel like we would have had other credible rumours now if development had been ramping up. Maybe it will release eventually if cart costs go down.

Ages and ages? You mean 2 years ago?

Yes. LA Noire and GTA V were rumoured at the same time, and then LA Noire released; a whole two years later, without hearing any other credible rumours, I'm not gonna be sitting around thinking "omg GTA V is gonna be announced any second now!". I'm more likely to think "Hmm, that leaker either got it wrong or plans were changed" etc.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
GTAV on Switch? Yes. Same person said LA Noire was coming.

They have also alluded that it may not happen due to cart costs.

I doubt this is the case. They could just make it a partial download like the WWE (and others?) title.

Rockstar apparently just doesn't feel like it's worth the effort to port given how well it's still selling on the other platforms.

They also probably have every dev they have working on the RDR2 PC port and GTA VI.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
CHeers mate, very interesting insights as always. And thanks for not outright leaking the thing, surprises are always good. Like I said, I'd settle for 25-30fps and 720p/540p docked/undocked.
If this game indeed comes, literally anything this gen can potentially come.
Also, I wonder when they started developing it. My guess is that it happened shortly after Doom and Skyrim SE released, and didn't melt the console while looking reasonably close to their counterparts on other consoles.
I'm not fully a believer yet, but there's indeed a lot of smoke.
Yeah, I think that is about what we will get. I also don't like leaking specific stuff, I am glad we don't really know what is going to be shown new at Nintendo's E3 conference, so close to the actual event. Even I only have guesses at this point... I know of some stuff that could show up, but nothing specific and I like it like that, I also understand that things are canceled all the time, and that is something a lot of people don't really understand, they just tend to think people are flat out lying, it's a reason I don't think I'd ever want to become an insider... They just get treated unfairly for being excited and sharing information they've heard.
lol CDPR won't use a 32gb card
That is pretty much the only way you could get the physical release on the console. They could do the base game on the cart and make you download the DLC.
Yeah, that's like 20 months ago, I definitely feel like we would have had other credible rumours now if development had been ramping up. Maybe it will release eventually if cart costs go down.

Yes. LA Noire and GTA V were rumoured at the same time, and then LA Noire released; a whole two years later, without hearing any other credible rumours, I'm not gonna be sitting around thinking "omg GTA V is gonna be announced any second now!". I'm more likely to think "Hmm, that leaker either got it wrong or plans were changed" etc.
Heard about GTA V coming long ago too, but yeah plans might have changed, I believe cart size and timing were big factors with this one, the Switch is more than capable enough to handle the game, and it's still popular enough to make sense, TakeTwo and Rockstar are also likely willing to do it, but I haven't heard anything new on this one in a long time, and even the person who was talking about it to me said that it was more like something they were testing at the time.

Now personally, unless they allow me to use my PC account on it, I don't think I would be into the idea of getting it again, but then again... hunting pack on the Switch would be amazing.
I doubt this is the case. They could just make it a partial download like the WWE (and others?) title.

Rockstar apparently just doesn't feel like it's worth the effort to port given how well it's still selling on the other platforms.

They also probably have every dev they have working on the RDR2 PC port and GTA VI.
GTA V is a huge game, so many mods and the online service is still growing, but why would they ever limit it to just the platforms they are on now? GTA 3 era is on smart phones, and Rockstar wouldn't need to do the port themselves, there are a lot of port companies that would love to port such a popular game, and it would be very easy to port too, and a gateway to a smart phone port, since you'd be bringing the game to ARM and Smart Phones have become powerful enough to handle the game too... I do think it's about storage size, such a big game needs a big cart, these things are quickly not becoming a problem for flash storage, but the window of how this all makes sense might be closing, that is why this might never happen, but we will have to wait and see. I'm sure if insiders start hearing about GTA V again, they will start talking about it, because it is something that is long overdue at this point IMO.

Last edited:

Deleted member 18161

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
GTA V is a huge game, so many mods and the online service is still growing, but why would they ever limit it to just the platforms they are on now? GTA 3 era is on smart phones, and Rockstar wouldn't need to do the port themselves, there are a lot of port companies that would love to port such a popular game, and it would be very easy to port too, and a gateway to a smart phone port, since you'd be bringing the game to ARM and Smart Phones have become powerful enough to handle the game too... I do think it's about storage size, such a big game needs a big cart, these things are quickly not becoming a problem for flash storage, but the window of how this all makes sense might be closing, that is why this might never happen, but we will have to wait and see. I'm sure if insiders start hearing about GTA V again, they will start talking about it, because it is something that is long overdue at this point IMO.

Because they feel their development budgets / resources would be better spent on a RDR 2 PC/PS5/XB2 Remaster or GTA VI's development? They only have so many staff.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Most ports of big games on Switch have been done in a matter of months from what we read; wasn't it 9 months for Diablo III for example, and something like that for Skyrim, Doom and Wolfenstein as well?
If they indeed started late early 2018, that would be more than a year to port the game, possibly 18 months. Is it a realistic time frame for such project?

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Because they feel their development budgets / resources would be better spent on a RDR 2 PC/PS5/XB2 Remaster or GTA VI's development? They only have so many staff.

Hiring 3rd party teams like Panic Button or Iron Galaxy to do a porting is a thing and very common when we talking about ports.

Justin Wong

Apr 1, 2019
Do you have proof? And if so any other details that you would like to share?

TheCrackedJack

The WiiU had known CPU issues due to its architecture and lack of documentation. The Switch has a CPU that is both superior to last gen consoles and well documented.

I will own up to being wrong on Black Flags performance. It's been a while. However once again the Switch is more powerful, more modern machine and should easily be able to handle that game.
I'm pretty sure it's known that the switch has a really weak cpu and it's probably why open world games don't fare well on it

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Simba1 has your answer right here, I touched on it but you must have overlooked it.
Hiring 3rd party teams like Panic Button or Iron Galaxy to do a porting is a thing and very common when we talking about ports.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
I'm pretty sure it's known that the switch has a really weak cpu and it's probably why open world games don't fare well on it

It has stronger CPU than Wii U in any case that had Black Flag for instance. Also, how games perform on Switch vairies from port to port, for instance games like Skyrim, Zelda BotW, Starlink, Diablo 3, Dragons Dogma..are very good ports and they run very good.

Last edited:

Deleted member 18161

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe Rockstar don't trust an outside company with their Golden Goose who knows?

There's obviously some reason it isn't coming (I've made my opinion on the matter clear in other threads so won't repeat myself).

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I really believe that the only roadblock to GTA 5 is the card cost. From what I understood, Rockstar makes money with the online part and the game is now well over 100Gb, far from what it was on the previous gen. Even using a 32Gb card, it's probably near impossible to fit what they need.
It's a shame because while I don't have much interest in GTA, it's typically the type of game I could play if they released on an hybrid device. The only GTA I finished (and liked!) was CHinatown Wars for that exact reason.

Deleted member 18161

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It has stronger CPU than Wii U in any case that had Black Flag for instance. Also, how games perform on Switch vairies from port to port, for instance games like Skyrim, Zelda BotW, Starlink, Diablo 3..are very good ports and they run very good.

And there's also XC2, Warframe, Fortnite, DOOM, Wolf II, LA Noire and Saints Row IV which can't hold 30fps (or even close at times) on Switch.

Whether it's CPU, GPU or memory bandwidth, I really wish they'd hurry up with a more powerful model. Even if it's a CPU boost to 1.5GHz and 30% boost to GPU clocks, it would help the framerates (aswell as increase the resolution) in so many games for the system.

What's the latest rumours on a new model, still a handheld focused one for Summer but what about a more powerful model? Didn't the scrap the apparent 'Pro' they had planned for the end of the year to get more power later?

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
And there's also XC2, Warframe, Fortnite, DOOM, Wolf II, LA Noire and Saints Row IV which can't hold 30fps (or even close at times) on Switch.

Eh, I am sure all of those games after patching are most of time 30 FPS, expect Saints Row that definitely is not good port and its need to receive its patches. I mean most of those games dont run even on PS4 at locked frame rate.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017

Whether it's CPU, GPU or memory bandwidth, I really wish they'd hurry up with a more powerful model. Even if it's a CPU boost to 1.5GHz and 30% boost to GPU clocks, it would help the framerates (aswell as increase the resolution) in so many games for the system.

What's the latest rumours on a new model, still a handheld focused one for Summer but what about a more powerful model? Didn't the scrap the apparent 'Pro' they had planned for the end of the year to get more power later?
Those clocks could actually come to the current model, and with Nintendo experimenting with their boost performance, I'm not entirely ruling it out sometime in the future.

WSJ, Eurogamer, Bloomberg have all said that an upgraded model and cheaper model come this year. Nikkei confirmed the cheaper model is coming this year and talked about a next generation Switch without a project lead coming after the new model but years off.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Warframe looks so bad, especially in the open world areas. It is one of the worst looking games on the switch when it comes to its open world. I don't have faith in w3 in this case.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Warframe switch could certainly look better (I was disappointed to see that my intel HD laptop ran it much better than the Switch), but I wouldn't go as far as saying that it looks bad. That being said, it's not PB's best work in my opinion. That title would go to Wolfenstein post-patch or to the recently released Hob.

akasha

Jan 14, 2019
Germany
I'm not saying all open world games look bad. BotW looked amazing.

My original response was to your claim that Warframe looks bad in general, which is ridiculous.

Deliver visual proof for "Warframe open world looks so especially bad" please. Would like to see your definition of "especially bad".

Last edited:

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this was one I was referring to. Even had heard it was panic button, but one of the insiders I talked to couldn't confirm it was them, just that they had heard it too.

Also, on a side note, a Switch Pro with something around an overclocked Tegra X2, would be close to something like this MX150 laptop when docked, just imagine locked 30fps here:

GoNintendo used your post to create an article lol.

https://gonintendo.com/stories/336274-rumor-more-talk-of-witcher-3-potentially-releasing-on-switch

Status
Not open for further replies.