• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathan_Drake

Nov 6, 2017
I can't say I know of the site or the writer but it is an interesting topic that has been brought up and the story says (without names) that Fox workers have information on it. It also alludes to potential future plans in the MCU.

https://www.cosmicbooknews.com/x-men-dark-phoenix-new-mutants-canceled

According to the rumor, the Disney deal is basically already done and Disney execs have an active hand in what has been going in at Fox, and that people at both companies want a clean slate, so New Mutants and X-Men: Dark Phoenix won't be released. It's further said that both movies are atrocious (worse than Fantastic Four) with a bad storyline and acting, and that the cancellation announcement will come after this Friday's shareholders vote.

New Mutants

Regarding New Mutants, it's rumored there were problems with director Josh Boone who didn't care about the comic books, but just wanted to make a superhero horror film; it's further said Anya Taylor-Joy had issues with another actor on set. The reports about half the movie getting reshot are said to be true, but the Fox employee says it wasn't directed by Boone, as Fox wasn't at all happy with his cut.

It's said then the Disney deal came about and progress on New Mutants stopped.

X-Men: Dark Phoenix

The employee describes X-Men: Dark Phoenix as the "worse spinoff ever," and also that the cut he saw didn't feature Olivia Munn's Psylocke. It's added that it appeared as if the cast "seemed to phone their performances in."

It's claimed that both movies will be shelved, but possibly released years later (i.e. on a streaming service) when Marvel Studios has their X-Men universe all set up. The employee also says the movies will be leaked online before then as too many people have already worked on the projects.

Other Tidbits:

Some other tidbits include:

• The Channing Tatum Gambit movie won't be happening.
  • Mr. Sinister was never a part of New Mutants.
    • Marvel Studios already has plans "unofficially" for Fox-owned characters such as Silver Surfer and Galactus.
    • X-Force is said to possibly be retitled by Disney as "Deadpool 3: X-Force," and may feature New Mutants characters, but not Anya Taylor-Joy as Magik due to her having issues with another member of the cast.
    • Regarding introducing the Mutants into the MCU, The Eternals movie will somehow do that.
    [*]

I think I could believe this and it may be the right course of action. Thoughts?

Oct 26, 2017
I can't say I know of the site or the writer but it is an interesting topic that has been brought up and the story says (without names) that Fox workers have information on it. It also alludes to potential future plans in the MCU.

https://www.cosmicbooknews.com/x-men-dark-phoenix-new-mutants-canceled

New Mutants

X-Men: Dark Phoenix

Other Tidbits:

I think I could believe this and it may be the right course of action. Thoughts?
Dark Phoenix is a big movie to shelve. Yikes.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As much of a dumpster fire Dark Phoenix will likely be, I'm not sure I believe they would shelve it. New Mutants, maybe, everyone forgot about that movie.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I would be absolutely devastated if New Mutants was cancelled. It looked like the best superhero movie since Watchmen.

I want a mainstream superhero horror film before I kick the bucket and Disney seems stubborn in even considering it ;_;

As much of a dumpster fire Dark Phoenix will likely be, I'm not sure I believe they would shelve it. New Mutants, maybe, everyone forgot about that movie.
Not me. I think about New Mutants CONSTANTLY and the gf asks me every now and then about when it's coming out

Deleted member 4044

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank God they're shelving Dark Phoenix. It sounded awful and I have no faith in it after Apocalypse.

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
I would genuine be surprised if they shelve a movie like Dark Phoenix
New Mutants on the other side. Theres way too much smoke to not be a garbage fire

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I would be absolutely devastated if New Mutants was cancelled. It looked like the best superhero movie since Watchmen.

I want a mainstream superhero horror film before I kick the bucket and Disney seems stubborn in even considering it ;_;

Not me. I think about New Mutants CONSTANTLY and the gf asks me every now and then about when it's coming out

Dang dude, you have like the weirdest taste lol

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Good move regarding Dark Phoenix, the X-men franchise deserves better especially after the shitiness of Apocalypse. Can't say anything about New Mutants.
As the Fox merger is getting closer every day I imagine Disney don't want to be associated with these mediocre films anymore.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
The source is some rando on the SHH forums? lol

this does not exactly sound credible. pretty sure, for one thing, that Disney legally cannot "have an active hand in what has been going in at Fox" until the merger is finalized

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully they dump new mutants on Netflix or the Disney streaming service at some point. I would like to see it.

Scrapping Dark Phoenix seems like the wise move if they are just going to reboot everything anyway. Even if the movie turns out well, it has had so much negative press that people will assume it is terrible.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Can't say it would bother me if both movies are canned (the only thing I want to carry on from Fox X-Men to the MCU is Deadpool, and this seems to be pointing to that).

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
This looks like a nonsense rumor based on nothing.

Having said that, I'm all for canning these movies and maybe Deadpool 3 as well. Focus on getting the MCU to 4 movies a year, no need to spend any more time on Fox's work.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
tenor.gif

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Psylocke was the best part of Apocalypse. It would suck if she was cut.
In what world? She does literally nothing. I remember reading before Apocalypse that Munn spent a bunch of time learning to do a lot of her own fighting and how to actually use a sword which then seemed absolutely hilarious given she only has one incredibly brief fight scene in the whole film.

SoundCheck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This looks fake, but I will be devastated if they canceled New Mutants. They can send Dark Phoenix to the garbage through.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
You can tell how horrible Apocalypse was by the fact people pretend Days of future past never happened and wasn't great.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Can't say I'm too shook up about losing any of these TBH if the rumor is true, sucks for the people who did want these movies though

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
I mean Disney will be getting their hands on key properties of the Marvel universe they have always wanted. With the acquisition of the X-Men and Galactus/SS they have both their next big saga events secured, like how Thanos was the culmination of the first 3 phases. Galactus would be a force that would be as big, if not bigger than Thanos. Then with the X-Men you have a great playground for Avengers 1/2 style big-event movies. So them having plans already doesn't surprise me, hell I wouldn't be surprised if they have had plans for the Fox properties since Avengers 1 in hopes of securing the rights.

Also Fox was nowhere at Comic-Con this year outside of the Deadpool 2 panel and honestly until the OP brought up Dark Phoenix I had forgot they had that film and New Mutants due out next year. I mean it is the big culminating film of the First Class universe and what they feel is like them doing Dark Phoenix "right" and the fact that they had NOTHING speaks major volumes about it.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
TO ME MY BOARD.

All makes total sense to me. I never expected both New Mutants and Dark Phoenix to get a wide theatrical release. Nuking them entirely isn't too different from just giving them a small scale release. I hope they eventually get a release, but it's better all round to kill that universe dead, and just throw Ryan Reynolds + Friends a lifeboat.

Totally unsurprising that both movies such, and the Channing Tatum Gambit movie was never happening.

Kind of amazed at the idea of MCU going with Silver Surfer prior to Xmen or Fantastic Four, but it is exactly what I would want.

Obv that's just if these highly plausible rumours are true.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
If this news is true then it's good news even if I wanted New Mutants. Sounds like they fucked that up too.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I've been predicting this for ages. They're both going to be Hulu Original movies.

I wonder if they're going to end Deadpool with the trilogy? Or if they'll do something crazy to send him to the MCU?

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really hope that's true. Apocalypse was one of the worst films I've ever seen so I'm expecting Dark Phoenix to be even worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.