• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017

In a fireside chat with Yahoo on Sep 23 posted above, Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick and Phil Spencer were talking about gaming. Around the 34 minute mark here's the exchange:
SZ: Phil didn't pitch his own service, which he could...but you've got about 30 million subs Phil. Something like that(?)
PS: *chukles* The last public numbers we announced was 18 million.
SZ: *nervously shifting* Oh for some reason I thought it was more. *laughs* It's more than 18. Anyways...

So Strauss seems to have let it slip and Phil played it off…but he is definitely in a position to know the sub numbers as him and Phil talk about the service often according to the fireside chat.

What say you? Mistakenly said a wrong estimate? Said something he shouldn't have? You be the JUDGE!

Saw this circulating on Twitter

Last edited:

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Not bad..I figured they'd be close to 40 mil by the end of this year and was called batshit crazy.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
That's huge, I was expecting around 25 million by now, 30 by the end of the year... Now probably 35-40 by the end of the year is possible

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Man I made a bet with someone somewhere on the internet that they'd easily eclipse 30 million by the end of the year thanks to Halo.

If this is actually true, turns out they didn't even need Halo.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean if they have 30 mill people paying an average of 10 bucks that's 300 mill a month or 3.6 billion per year.

OP
OP
Judge

Judge

Oct 25, 2017
It was at 15mil last September, and they announced it was 18mil in January. There hasn't been anything announced since then.

Strauss did say "around 30 mil", so could be like 28 or something, which is practically double either way to what it was last year. 100% growth in a year *sounds* good to me…but not like there's much to compare it to haha

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Sounds like he was asking him?

EDIT: yea he even says later he just thought that was the number.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
shutterstock_editorial_3659754c.jpg

But, yeah, that's some well earned growth.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
30 million before Microsoft's first party studios have really started releasing games on the platform.

I can't imagine what the numbers are going to look like after Starfield, Redfall, Perfect Dark, Avowed, Fable, and others have released. They could be looking at 60+ million subs by the end of 2023.

lazerface

Banned
Feb 23, 2020

My rough read is that's significantly ahead of expectations, which were more that they were just somewhere north of 20. Probably not enough for it to be profitable at the current price given how much they're spending on deals with third parties, but that's not the goal at the moment.

It was at 15mil last September, and they announced it was 18mil in January. There hasn't been anything announced since then.

Strauss did say "around 30 mil", so could be like 28 or something, which is practically double either way to what it was last year. 100% growth in a year *sounds* good to me…but not like there's much to compare it to haha
appreciate the feedback, this is good to know, hopefully it continues to grow

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
the rumor at the start of the year (but never confirmed) was 23 millions so it could be possible

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
The ASP for gamepass is no where near $10. I literally just payed $1 last week for 3 years of it.

$1 plus three years of Xbox Live Gold, presumably?

At $180 for three years of Gold to do the offer that's still $5 a month. Yeah, it's not $10 a month but it's also not $1 for three years of Game Pass.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
I can believe that. If its growing so quick, no point announcing the number all the time. Just wait til it gets up to 40/50 mil.

Will be a big holiday boost with Halo and Forza coming.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved. Anyone who doesn't own an Xbox (or gaming PC) and doesn't subscribe is missing out on an insane value.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
30 million before Microsoft's first party studios have really started releasing games on the platform.

I can't imagine what the numbers are going to look like after Starfield, Redfall, Perfect Dark, Avowed, Fable, and others have released. They could be looking at 60+ million subs by the end of 2023.
This.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
jfc

That seems way over what was expected. I personally figured like 27 mil by end of year and a good shot at 30 mil by end of year. If they are already there before FH5 and Halo?

Damn

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised they're not shouting it from the rooftops if that's the case.

Edit: unless they're planning on just doing an annual update now or something? Idk

OP
OP
Judge

Judge

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like he was asking him?

EDIT: yea he even says later he just thought that was the number.
I mean ya...he talked about another companies info that wasn't his to talk about lol...whats he supposed to say?

Here's the exchange:
SZ: Phil didn't pitch his own service, which he could...but you've got about 30 million subs Phil. Something like that.
PS: *chukles* The last public numbers we announced was 18 million
SZ: *nervously shifting* Oh for some reason I thought it was more. *laughs* It's more than 18. Anyways...

Like come on ha

masizzai

Nov 28, 2017
That number is gonna skyrocket in December for halo. Numbers will go up in November for Forza too. 2022 is gonna be crucial and it seems like they'll have at least one title to keep people and gain even more with Starfield

Oct 27, 2017
That's a solid number. I think the better question is what is the average price people are paying for these subs.

Aug 23, 2018
Damn. I remember Jez accidentally leaking the 22-23 million number in June. And then back tracking and thinking that maybe growth was stagnant. Being close to 30 million before Forza and Halo is crazy.

I do remember them saying last December that Xbox Series owners have like a 70% attach rate with GamePass subscriptions. It's hard not to imagine they keep that rate as the XGS and Bethesda flood gates begin to open. And it's hard not to recommend GamePass for someone new to Xbox ecosystem