• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JustSomeone

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought it's a common knowledge he stopped working on JL.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
This isn't particularly surprising. They wanted to get him out in a way that retained his dignity and gave him a better chance at directing in the future.

I can't say I particularly enjoyed too many of his films though. Watchmen was decent and 300 was good. Watched Sucker Punch and Man of Steel and they were just not good in my opinion.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Whatever happened, I hope he takes a good break and focus on his family. His daughter's death was tragic and I have nothing but well wishes for his family.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it's a common knowledge he stopped working on JL.

His departure from JL was framed as him voluntarily stepping away to deal with the family crisis of his daughter's suicide. In reality he'd been removed from the DCEU as a creative force months earlier. His name will remain on several future DCEU films (assuming they get made) due to contractual reasons, but Snyder's input will be minimal, if anything.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Well then.

I think it's also kind of telling they wanted to make the conversation about him leaving for the sake of his family.

He could have been fired, but it could have been "Look, this ain't working. Sorry. We'll work with you on your next movie when you come back."

Vs.

"Get the fuck out you hack."

Then again, I also would then suspect WB wanted to use the narrative of Snyder's daughter to save face about the production.

Who knows?

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Well then.

I think it's also kind of telling they wanted to make the conversation about him leaving for the sake of his family.

He could have been fired, but it could have been "Look, this ain't working. Sorry. We'll work with you on your next movie when you come back."

Vs.

"Get the fuck out you hack."

Then again, I also would then suspect they wanted to use the excuse of Snyder's daughter to save face about the production.

Who knows?

It's the former. I don't think WB bears any ill will toward Snyder. Clearly he wasn't the only one who had no idea what to do with those movies.

combine42

Nov 11, 2017
His departure from JL was framed as him voluntarily stepping away to deal with the family crisis of his daughter's suicide. In reality he'd been removed from the DCEU as a creative force months earlier. His name will remain on several future DCEU films (assuming they get made) due to contractual reasons, but Snyder's input will be minimal, if anything.
Do you have any proof of that?

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
If this is true does that mean he used his daughters death to cover up the fact he was fired?

Or was the daughter story coming out of the studio?

OP
OP

Thisman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If this is true does that mean he used his daughters death to cover up the fact he was fired?

Or was the daughter story coming out of the studio?

WB reported it . Not him. This is again just a rumor but JL issues stories started at end of 2016 and him being fired a year ago means in December - Feb timeframe . JL production began April 11 2016 so much of principle photography must have already been completed . If he was let go it must have been after the first screening to WB (with barebones sfx)

HP_Wuvcraft

Oct 26, 2017
South of San Francisco
If the cover story is this, then that means the WB used a man's dead kid for studio-political reasons.

Which is disgusting.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Made the best superhero movie since Spidey 2. Respect.
Man of Steel?
giphy.gif

I love that movie

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Figured they were gonna phase him after JL but I didn't think they'd straight up fired him a year ago.

Oct 27, 2017
WB can't seem to get out of their own way. They botched B v S by not allowing the ultimate edition to be released in theaters. They botched SS by not allowing the full movie to be released leaving 40 rumored excellent Joker scenes on the cutting room floor and then the JL debacle. Despite DCEU outperforming MCU at the worldwide box office through those first 4 movies they felt they needed become more like Marvel and so they pushed Snyder out and brought Whedon in. Sadly, that didn't work as literally every single contribution from Whedon was hot garbage and helped sully the film. Every rumored deleted Snyder scene would have only helped the movie giving it more much needed exposition for the new characters. And of course we'd never have had to watch the awful home video intro and post credit scene, the bad CGI, the alternative ending, the different piecemeal score, etc. It's a damn shame WB controls this thing. I hope Snyder moves on and finds projects he loves and is allowed to complete using his vision. I loved MOS and B v S ultimate edition and I know there was a damn good JL movie hiding somewhere in there. WW is essentially a Snyder film and it got great reviews though I'm sure, despite it looking and feeling (and even using his story) like a Snyder film, if it had his name on the marquee it would have been lambasted I'm sure.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
WW is not a Snyder film in any sense outside of a vaguely similar desaturated look. WW is more coherent than anything Snyder has ever made.

Figured they were gonna phase him after JL but I didn't think they'd straight up fired him a year ago.

It's weird that they tried to course correct in mid-stream like that, yeah. MoS and BvS are terrible movies but JL has a strange cobbled-together blandness that isn't any better, just different. It probably would have been smarter to just let him finish the job, although that's assuming he would even have wanted to after what happened to his daughter. The firing being reported here would have happened months before that though.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn. I thought the story was... Snyder was working on Justice League. WB realizes (due to BvS backlash) that their movies need Marvel-style "jokes" so they bring in Joss Whedon to punch up the script. Then Snyder's kid dies and Whedon is a good guy so he agrees to pick up the slack.

Now it seems to be... Snyder's working on Justice League. WB fires him and replaces him with Whedon. And then Snyder's kid dies, and WB cynically uses the kid's death to try to spin their firing of Snyder and hiring of Whedon.

WB and Joss Whedon looked way better in the first version.

Err? This also help Snyder, rather than firing him outright, Snyder have a more graceful departure from the movie and can leave Dceu to pursue his other passions.
I would rather be fired openly with a big middle finger from WB than have a death in the family be used to cover it up. It would stain their memory to exploit their death for my own gain.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
It's been obvious for a while that WB used Snyder's kid's suicide as an excuse.

More than likely they wanted him out but couldn't force him out for contractual reasons, made the production hell for him and took advantage of his familial situation to get Whedon to shit out the trash they wanted.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Damn. I thought the story was... Snyder was working on Justice League. WB realizes (due to BvS backlash) that their movies need Marvel-style "jokes" so they bring in Joss Whedon to punch up the script. Then Snyder's kid dies and Whedon is a good guy so he agrees to pick up the slack.

Now it seems to be... Snyder's working on Justice League. WB fires him and replaces him with Whedon. And then Snyder's kid dies, and WB cynically uses the kid's death to try to spin their firing of Snyder and hiring of Whedon.

WB and Joss Whedon looked way better in the first version.

I would rather be fired openly with a big middle finger from WB than have a death in the family be used to cover it up. It would stain their memory to exploit their death for my own gain.
I'm not sure how this reflects worse on Whedon. The guy was offered a job, the guy took the job. But WB looks real fucking bad here. If true, they used Snyder's daughter as an excuse to admit Snyder wasn't on the project anymore.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
It's been obvious for a while that WB used Snyder's kid's suicide as an excuse.

More than likely they wanted him out but couldn't force him out for contractual reasons, made the production hell for him and took advantage of his familial situation to get Whedon to shit out the trash they wanted.

Except this report says he was removed from the production months before his familial situation. WB had clearly made their decision before any of that, but later used it as a way of making everything look copacetic. This would have happened with or without Snyder's family tragedy. Which doesn't make using it as a cover story any less sleazy, of course.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure how this reflects worse on Whedon. The guy was offered a job, the guy took the job. But WB looks real fucking bad here. If true, they used Snyder's daughter as an excuse to admit Snyder wasn't on the project anymore.
Does it, though? Because Zack Snyder was the one who said he was working on JL to help him distract himself from the tragedy but then said he realized that wasn't working and decided to step out to be with his family. If this story is true then we don't really know who looks bad here.

I dunno, this whole thing is so fucked up that I'm leaning towards it not being true. I can't imagine Snyder would agree to something like this.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
Does it, though? Because Zack Snyder was the one who said he was working on JL to help him distract himself from the tragedy but then said he realized that wasn't working and decided to step out to be with his family. If this story is true then we don't really know who looks bad here.

I mean it's likely only true in as such that Snyder was removed as DCEU guy but still gonna finish JL with Whedon until his family stuff led him to leave completely.

Dyl

Oct 27, 2017
Except this report says he was removed from the production months before his familial situation. WB had clearly made their decision before any of that, but later used it as a way of making everything look copacetic. This would have happened with or without Snyder's family tragedy. Which doesn't make using it as a cover story any less sleazy, of course.
He was still working on the film about a week or so before his daughter's death.

It's a shitty situation all around, but WB covering for him seems like a better deal than being publicly shamed with the firing.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Being removed from DCEU projects going forward != Being Removed from the JL Director's Chair.

Those are two different things with different contracts and DGA rules associated with them. Even if he had been removed, it was still his project, and I doubt Snyder would have gone along with a "cover story" like that. The background would have made his decision to step down slightly easier, though, if he knew he was on his way out after JL anyway.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
WB can't seem to get out of their own way. They botched B v S by not allowing the ultimate edition to be released in theaters. They botched SS by not allowing the full movie to be released leaving 40 rumored excellent Joker scenes on the cutting room floor and then the JL debacle. Despite DCEU outperforming MCU at the worldwide box office through those first 4 movies they felt they needed become more like Marvel and so they pushed Snyder out and brought Whedon in. Sadly, that didn't work as literally every single contribution from Whedon was hot garbage and helped sully the film. Every rumored deleted Snyder scene would have only helped the movie giving it more much needed exposition for the new characters. And of course we'd never have had to watch the awful home video intro and post credit scene, the bad CGI, the alternative ending, the different piecemeal score, etc. It's a damn shame WB controls this thing. I hope Snyder moves on and finds projects he loves and is allowed to complete using his vision. I loved MOS and B v S ultimate edition and I know there was a damn good JL movie hiding somewhere in there. WW is essentially a Snyder film and it got great reviews though I'm sure, despite it looking and feeling (and even using his story) like a Snyder film, if it had his name on the marquee it would have been lambasted I'm sure.

Oh my god are you STILL doing this?

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
Being removed from DCEU projects going forward != Being Removed from the JL Director's Chair.

Those are two different things with different contracts and DGA rules associated with them. Even if he had been removed, it was still his project, and I doubt Snyder would have gone along with a "cover story" like that. The background would have made his decision to step down slightly easier, though, if he knew he was on his way out after JL anyway.

I wish, post BvS, Snyder had just gone "fuck it" and made the most Snyder JL ever with Darkseid and time travel and random shit. Because JL was always going to be his DCEU finale regardless.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish, post BvS, Snyder had just gone "fuck it" and made the most Snyder JL ever with Darkseid and time travel and random shit. Because JL was always going to be his DCEU finale regardless.
The best scene in JL was the final stinger. It made me mad that they didn't do that instead of the CGI villain snoozefest.

Kimura

Banned
Nov 4, 2017

This is a pretty insensitive speculation to murk up. Can't it be somewhat more complex than that? Maybe, Snyder has had serious family trouble for a long time, and it might have affected his work performance for a long time- In that sense, it wouldn't be exploiting your own childs death to say that you take a leave of absence. Or it might be that Snyder wanted to keep working, like a lot of people want to do after facing a tragedy, but the studio insisted for the sake of his mental well being that he took leave.

I know a lot of people don't like Snyder as a director, but he has never struck me as someone who would do something like this.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
Also, not sure there's any way this story is completely accurate because it implies all film journalists/bloggers put ethics and human decency before clicks and views.

There's at least three sites which would have printed this story as fact if they'd heard it from a drunk guy in a bathroom at McDonalds, let alone a studio source.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Justice League is a piece of crap, and if any of it counts as his film it's Snyder's worst movie too tbh

By a damn landslide, man should look to horror movies again. Dawn of the dead remake is steeped in all of his fuckery and it came out pretty good, general audience crowd pleasers are not his bag

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully he is never given a chance to direct a big studio movie again

Dawn of the Dead is his only decent film

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
If this is true that means that more of the poopiness of the movie can be blamed on Whedon since he was directing it earlier than we thought.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was more thinking about how in the first story Whedon stepped up to the plate to cover for someone who was going through a rough patch. How he was already on the set for a perfectly understandable and non-controversial reason (people go over scripts to add a bit of humor or smooth out some dialogue all the time), and then Snyder got blindsided by tragedy and needed to step aside, and Whedon was fully-qualified to take over the job of helming a major motion picture, so he did, which relieved Snyder of a burden.

It's sort of a downgrade when it becomes "Whedon accepted a job offer". Not bad, just a downgrade.
This is a pretty insensitive speculation to murk up. Can't it be somewhat more complex than that? Maybe, Snyder has had serious family trouble for a long time, and it might have affected his work performance for a long time- In that sense, it wouldn't be exploiting your own childs death to say that you take a leave of absence. Or it might be that Snyder wanted to keep working, like a lot of people want to do after facing a tragedy, but the studio insisted for the sake of his mental well being that he took leave.

I know a lot of people don't like Snyder as a director, but he has never struck me as someone who would do something like this.
It wasn't my intention to say that Snyder used his kid's death, or whatever. I was responding to the idea that WB may have done him a favor by using the death of his kid as a distraction for his firing, by saying that I personally would very much not want that sort of defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.