• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
I hope the Xbox One isn't discontinued
Hopefully Microsoft is able to reduce the price over time and still profit on the hardware. Having a cheap console on offer is important to a growing ecosystem IMO.

Why though? Isn't that the point of Lockhart. Cheap entry into the ecosystem. I know you can get some deals around the holidays but the One S with UHD new still costs $299. Maybe they go for one more holiday push with a One S.

But the longer the One consoles are around the harder it will be for devs to not want to support it.

Also, getting you into the ecosystem with next-gen is better long term as they can sell you Game Pass longer because inevitably, there will be next-gen only games in the catalog (e.g. The Medium).

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Why though? Isn't that the point of Lockhart. Cheap entry into the ecosystem. I know you can get some deals around the holidays but the One S with UHD new still costs $299. Maybe they go for one more holiday push with a One S.

But the longer the One consoles are around the harder it will be for devs to not want to support it.

Also, getting you into the ecosystem with next-gen is better long term as they can sell you Game Pass longer because inevitably, there will be next-gen only games in the catalog (e.g. The Medium).
Yep, agree with all of that. Lockhart fits the low entry price model, while also moving that consumer base onto next gen quality components like SSDs and Zen CPUs. You really don't want devs catering to HDDs and Jaguar CPUs too much longer.

OGM_Madness

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Dec 3, 2019
normies don't seem confused by iPad, iPad Air & iPad Pro
Pretty sure they are, or don't know the difference. The detail is that the most expensive iPad is not the only one that gives access to Facebook and YouTube. You can do that on any iPad. In the end, Microsoft might not care because "normies" as you say probably care about been able to play Halo and not playing Halo in 4K 60fps

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
but how will peope get confused on which console is the new one? /s

Its smart by ms to clear stock. Out with old in with the new

AllBizness

Banned
Mar 22, 2020

Well only if they are able to reduce the cost and still profit its a no brainer. If they can get the One S down to $149-$199 and still profit they will probably do that.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
If they're fully backwards compatible, and the Series S can be brought down a similar price point as the current S, it makes some sense to consolidate your lineup. It makes your supply chain a whole lot simpler. I also imagine demand for the current gen has gone down, too.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
If they're doing this when it makes me expect Lockhart to be similarly priced to the current One X RRP.
I might argue even lower, if they're willing to also take the ONE S off the shelves. Microsoft is going to still want a sub-$250 option on shelves for holidays. If they're earnestly killing the ONE this early in the cycle, it means the fully expect Lockhart to take its place as a low-cost machine.

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
I'm kind of surprised they wouldn't opt for some overlap, considering there will be a period of cross gen support. Maybe Lockhart could be cheap enough (299) that a cheaper Xbone SKU isn't viable.

Not a bad idea to sell the inventory at current prices if so. It's been pretty surprising how little movement there was in MSRP this generation. If you take Kinect out of it, both entry level models only came down 100 dollars in nearly 7 years

HBC_XL

Apr 19, 2018
Vancouver
This just signals that the XSS is likely real, launching this year, and will be priced comparatively to the One S IMO. Good move. The "One" series, at this time, only has another year-ish of 1P support, so why not encourage "new" purchases towards the "Series" family of consoles and protect the customer investment?
If people really want to get a super cheap OneS they will likely find them, and 3P support will exist for a bit anyway. There's likely plenty out in the wild either way, plus the surge of used units when enthusiasts upgrade and sell old hardware.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The average person are going to think Xbox is out of business if they can't find any consoles to buy for 4 months, they better release series x in September

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
I really didn't care much for what the Xbox One X was going to be as I'm more in the PS5 camp for their exclusives. But I'm pretty excited for the Lockhart model. I was thinking about getting a new graphics card but don't really want to spend a bunch on it. I'd almost rather just spend the money on this console and have the MS exclusives. Maybe I'm getting old. I just want to play the game sometimes.

bickieditches

Aug 5, 2018
This gives a lot of credence to the rumors that originally, the Xbox Series X and Lockhart were set to launch in August. I don't know why they'd discontinue them a full 5 months before the launch, assuming it's now November.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Glad I held off on buying my GF a S model for cheap. Ill cash out on a series X and Lockhart day 1 if they both come out, so we can game share and play together. Damn this will be an exciting launch.

HonestAbe

May 19, 2020
The average person are going to think Xbox is out of business if they can't find any consoles to buy for 4 months, they better release series x in September

That's a hot take if I ever saw one. Did the average consumer think Nintendo was going out of business because Switch's were/are incredibly hard to find? No. You can still buy games, digital currency cards, xbox live, the displays will still be up...

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
my real hope is that they double down on how not powerful the GPU is and keep the cpu and zen 2 stuff in there for Lockhart. It would be sick to have the same level of performance, just at 1080p at like $200-$250. That would make an absurdly good deal for me. I could seriously think about selling my Xbox One X and Xbox one day one edition, ESPECIALLY if it's designed to output 4K content on video streaming (disney plus).

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Glad I held off on buying my GF a S model for cheap. Ill cash out on a series X and Lockhart day 1 if they both come out, so we can game share and play together. Damn this will be an exciting launch.
You guys can run Halo Infinite co op together too (if they support online co op) through game pass, maybe some Minecraft dungeons afterwards with a couple bouts of KI (or KI 2020 (pls MS))

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
I've been saying this for weeks!
They'd start to discontinue and mark down the current stock of Xbox One systems in the wild.

When Series X + S launch:

Remainder of Xbox One X's - $249
Xbox Lockhart ( Series S ) - $299
Xbox Series X - $499

I really don't think any consoles will ever go the PS3 route of $599 ever again.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017

Deleted member 33319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 15, 2017
People aren't reading between the lines enough here.
Microsoft doesn't have a console out right now. They have pulled out of the console market (for a sec lol)

Oct 28, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Saw this today when I went to Best Buy Canada

Ecf-wvfXYAE4QmD

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn they must have so much stock to tie them over til the new launch unless retailers are being advised to return stock to MS and not sell through?

Wait I think I misunderstood, are people expecting an early launch or something?

ps3ud0 8)

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's a hot take if I ever saw one. Did the average consumer think Nintendo was going out of business because Switch's were/are incredibly hard to find? No. You can still buy games, digital currency cards, xbox live, the displays will still be up...
There's a difference between going into a store and someone tells you something is sold out vs someone saying something is discontinued

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
This has shades of the Xbox to Xbox 360 transition. It felt like as soon as the 360 hit the marketplace the original Xbox SKU was a ghost.
That was more to do with MS being screwed by Nvidia on the GPU price. So while everything else in the original Xbox was eventually cheaper, they were being taken to town by Nvidia and paying full price in 2005 for the same GPU. To have some control, MS worked with AMD so they could have design input and pricing control going forward, and it's why they never bothered to talk to Nvidia again.

Oct 27, 2017
As usual the simplest explanation seems to be the correct one. I really don't see them discontinuing the whole line, and they've discontinued so many models/skus in the past I don't think we should assume discontinuing X SKUs during a global pandemic mean anything.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
One X just came out less than 3 years ago, how can they discontinue it? Why be backwards compatible with consoles you stop selling. Is it because Lockhart will inevitably mean those conses should get steep price cuts?

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Plus digital only means more software revenue for Sony, those people won't be able to get cheap or second hand retail games.

Saw an infographic that said the platform take on games is $11 more for digital. That cut would be virtually the full price of the game for first party titles.

Current PS4 attach rate is just under 10 right now.

If that holds true for the PS5 DE, they can take a $100 hit up front and make close to $110 per console on the back end, making it ultimately more profitable than the standard edition, even if only by a slim margin. But that slim margin adds up over millions of consoles.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
The Xbox One era is coming to an end.

Sony nuked it before it or PS4 released.

13yl2TZ.gif

LMAO "secret durango base" LOL OMFG hahahaha the gifs this gen have been amazing!

Or rather, Don Matrick nuked it with his stupidity.

WvdPvhm.jpg

Thankfully now, Xbox has a BOSS who isn't afraid or stupid.

I cannot wait to experience Phil's idea of a console generation that he put into motion from the very beginning.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
One X just came out less than 3 years ago, how can they discontinue it? Why be backwards compatible with consoles you stop selling. Is it because Lockhart will inevitably mean those conses should get steep price cuts?
They want to transition consumers to Series S/X ASAP. By continuing to provide One S/X at retail, they're increasing the pool of users dragging their heels with Jaguar CPUs and HDDs. They don't want developers supporting that hardware forever.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
With Xbox 360 they could keep selling it as they didn't have a console in that price range and it played titles that were not available on Xbone.

This time around it's different, they'll already have a console in that price range that will be able to play everything that the Xbox One and One X plays, and do it better. Keeping the One and One X just means that they will sell a console in the same approximate price range as Lockhart that plays the same games as Lockhart but does it worse.

You could say that maybe they can reduce the price of One S to like $100 and One X to $200 but that will just create confusion in the market.

The entire reason they are doing this is because of two things:
1) The existence of Lockhart
2) Them supporting One/One X for the first year or two in terms of games with no Series X/S exclusives.

PapaShango

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so pumped for the Jul and Aug showcases... shieeeet... would be crazy if Sony had a Lockhart of their own!

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
They want to transition consumers to Series S/X ASAP. By continuing to provide One S/X at retail, they're increasing the pool of users dragging their heels with Jaguar CPUs and HDDs. They don't want developers supporting that hardware forever.

They don't have to support it forever but they did commit to cross gen games for the next 2 years at least. They can cut off after that. Not fair for someone who just bought a one x or will buy one soon.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
They don't have to support it forever but they did commit to cross gen games for the next 2 years at least.

Thats not exactly what they said. This is the quote from the end of 2019.

"As our content comes out over the next year, two years, all of our games, sort of like PC, will play up and down that family of devices," Booty explains. "We want to make sure that if someone invests in Xbox between now and [Series X] that they feel that they made a good investment and that we're committed to them with content."

So yea, games like Gears 5, Psychonauts 2, Halo Infinite, Flight Sim, and Everwild will all be supported on both Xbox One and Xbox Series X.

So yes, expect games launched this year by XGS to support Xbox One. But don't be surprised if in 2021 they offer exclusive next-gen games and cross-gen games.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
They don't have to support it forever but they did commit to cross gen games for the next 2 years at least. They can cut off after that. Not fair for someone who just bought a one x or will buy one soon.
If you're buying an 'old' console at this time of year with brand new ones on the horizon then that's down to you.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017

This needs to die , it was two years from when that interview was. This was end of last year so it's basically a year from the launch of the series x.

Belker

Oct 27, 2017
How likely is it that the Series X will be replaced by a beefier model in a few years time? So it's replaced by the equivalent of a Xbox One X?

I'd like a more powerful Xbox as I'm sill on an original Xbox ONe. But I don't want to be Fd in the A by being an early adopter.

Mr.fresh

Oct 31, 2017
yea I noticed this too I was having an itch to play some gears and halo coop and when I looked I couldn't find any Xbox in stock.