• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Guess we'll have to wait and see, I'd hope that they would focus first on getting the core MP experience right in terms of movement, traversal and abilities, having said that if they do a BR make it so you're an ODST instead of a spartan and where you land on the map in a drop pod like the start of Halo ODST.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, if that's what this is replacing. I'm fine with that. Especially since I'm really not big on Warzone and would love for the Req packs to actually be filled with important stuff rather than Warzone Cards
iirc they said there will be no lootbox mechanic in Halo Infinite at all. They didn't say no MTX, just no lootboxes this time

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
The only real thing Apex and Fortnite have in common is they are BRs and F2P, so by not like them do they mean not F2P? Sounds like it's ways off though, so it's probably nothing at this point.

OP
OP
Gundam

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because if they changed their minds in response to Apex, it means they just started developing the mode, which means it will, at best, have one and a half years of development time.

Which feels like a suitably chunky amount of time given it would be a single game-mode in an entire 60 dollar full price package. It's not as if they'd be making it from complete scratch.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Ok, if they replace Warzone and Warzone Assault with BR I would be happy with it. I think people are kind of over the chaotic big player count style of multiplayer. Battle Royale is a much better organization of players in a mode with a high player count that makes for a better experience than the run/die/respawn of Battlefield and Halo Warzone mode. Keep the AI enemies in the mix, and it could be a worthwhile addition.

I'd rather them focus on arena and big team over Warzone or any new mode they might be cooking up. Halo multiplayer is already too scattered in terms of scope, and trying to be too many things to too many people.

ActiveRush

Oct 27, 2017
As long as they continue the trend of separating competitive multiplayer from a social type game type like Battle Royale it doesn't matter too much. Now if it starts influencing the mechanics of the game like Black Ops 4 then I'd have an issue.

ATOMICJORGE

Oct 25, 2017
Halo has the perfect sandbox elements to make a killer Battle Royale game just imagine seeing the Halo 3 ODST drop pod scene everytime you play

If 343 makes a battle royale game mode on Halo Infinite I would be very happy also I believe in Brad Sams he leaked in the past the Halo Infinite name, the Xbox One S all digital, Halo Reach and MCC on PC etc

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Because if they changed their minds in response to Apex, it means they just started developing the mode, which means it will, at best, have one and a half years of development time.
Why would Apex specifically change 343's development strategy? Aside from being my personal favorite, it wasn't the first or most popular BR.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
That sounds awesome to me as a freaking gameplay OPTION people! Bonnie herself was asked about Battle Royale in an IGN interview after her hall of fame induction around GDC, and she mentioned that 343 has a "sandbox" where they are always experimenting with things and that anything they did game mode wise would still need to feel like Halo.

This would just be another case of Xbox giving me as the gamer options like they are doing currently and going forward it seems, and this is a very good thing. I mean if Halo Infinite has an awesome single player campaign with Master Chief more front and center as they have said, traditional great Halo multiplayer modes and happens to add a unique Halo Battle Royale multiplayer mode (that is all that BR even is people, not a genre, but a mode), then sounds like some incredible gaming value for me for years!

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why there's so much opposition to this. If it's one mode in what otherwise sounds like a major project, what's the problem?

Also there are numerous elements of Halo which make too much sense for it to never have a BR mode.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can definitely borrow concepts from BR without making a carbon copy "100 Spartans drop onto a island" mode

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why there's so much opposition to this. If it's one mode in what otherwise sounds like a major project, what's the problem?

Also there are numerous elements of Halo which make too much sense for it to never have a BR mode.

Because people like to spazz out for no good reason or something, sounds awesome to get an additioanal gameplay mode (that is all that BR is anyway) to the game.

OP
OP
Gundam

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

dudebro mountain dew battle royale bad, endless roguelike darksoul good

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Halo has the perfect sandbox elements to make a killer Battle Royale game just imagine seeing the Halo 3 ODST drop pod scene everytime you play

If 343 makes a battle royale game mode on Halo Infinite I would be very happy also I believe in Brad Sams he leaked in the past the Halo Infinite name, the Xbox One S all digital, Halo Reach and MCC on PC etc

Just do this for the drop, PvPvE with more of a focus on the PvE to survive and set it on a similar themed map and I am fucking IN!

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio

Because I'm worried it will take them away from making the other modes the best they can be. Why focus on the campaign if the Battle Royale mode is going to be what everyone plays? Why focus on standard multiplayer? This is what sunk Black Ops 4. They included an incredible Battle Royal mode... and no campaign and a lackluster multiplayer mode.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I mean... Halo is a perfect game for Battle Royale

Drop in drop pods on a huge map on a Halo ring with different environmental zones

67iuU2O_d.jpg

Have fallen Covenant cruisers, Human fortifications, Forerunner caves, Forrest, snowy tundra, etc.

Have ghosts and mongooses in the level.

Scattered weapons to pick up.

They could even put in some minor AI to fight like grunts, etc.

And it would feel completely different than Apex or Fortnite.

I see some of you making the same complaints like the one I saw in the Apex Legends pre launch thread. "Wow another BR!? Stop chasing the trend" but Apex had a Battle Royale that felt completely different than any other before it.

If 343 feels like they can do something different and special with this they should go for it. Battle Royale is just another game mode like CTF, TDM, etc. Doom, Call of Duty, and Halo all have the game modes but they all feel different than one another.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Replace BR with Warzone and I wouldnt care.

Warzone is ass anyways and they could make more money in the long run off BR rather than Warzone imo.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Halo has a chance to be pretty big again.
They just need to play it right this time around.

Stinkles for the love of god, don't show MC face please.

Territories1

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 16, 2019
If you have a mode that mixes Warzone, Invasion and Firefight, have NPC's like Warzone but also bump up the player count to at least 60 (preferably 100) that would really help it stand out rather than have a mode where you have 100 spartant or ODST's in a standard free for all

Still need to have a traditional 4 person fire fight mode though.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So many ideas for a Halo BR mode that it makes too much sense -- And that's precisely why it won't happen.

Hey look, it's my channel lol.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I have a feeling Halo Infinite is going to be huge. Numerous multiplayer modes, BR mode, long single player campaign with Destiny style dynamic events to keep people playing in the world, etc.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I don't particularly want to see a Battle Royale mode in Halo, it's simply not for me, but I'd like to think that if it's there it won't be slapdash given the presumed amount of time Halo Infinite has been in development and how long BRs have been around and have been on Microsoft's radar.

Saiyaman

Dec 19, 2017
I've said before that I think Halo is the only game series that could probably get me interested in BR; bring it on.

It's been a while since I've been so hyped for a Halo game. I think infinite will truly be something special, and I'll drop whatever money I need to get the best experience day 1. You have my Energy Sword, 343!

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Halo infinite needs to be a game that keeps people playing for years, theyve already lost so much mindshare with most gamers these days. BR is not the game mode to do that.

That being said, I'd be fine with it if it doesn't take away development from other modes (like... not including any BTB maps on halo 5 launch)

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Halo could make for a very good Battle Royale game, so this is the best thing I've heard about Infinite thus far by some distance.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm there for it. I used to not care about BR at all, but after really enjoying Blackout and Apex Legends, I'm totally in.

G Darksoul

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I think the last bit is probably right...the other stuff...eh I would like them to revamp BTB into something more as opposed to another BR. Maybe something new for Halo altogether (Rpg like non-MC campaign with a created Spartan or team of Spartans)

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Battle Royal games have taken a dive in players lately, I doubt they'll be as big as they are now when Infinite is out.

I'm not saying BR is dead, I'm just saying the playerbase is getting bored.
BR is still the biggest genre right now, and it's continuing to grow, especially in Asia and the mobile space.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
If they did a thing like Black Ops 4 where the map is a giant collection of classic Halo maps fitted together (Like Forge World in Reach) - this could be really interesting.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
BR is still the biggest genre right now, and it's continuing to grow, especially in Asia and the mobile space.

My biggest issue with BR is that I don't consider it a genre. It's a gametype for shooters, tetris, etc. If BR is going to be a thing in Halo, it better be a fraction of what the rest of the game is. It's not enough in a Halo game to have a single mode dominate the whole multiplayer. There should be dozens of modes, BR being just one of them.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
If it's a good BR mode then I'll be happy to play it on occasion but I really play Halo for Slayer and custom games. If it bombs it doesn't matter to me either way.