• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
just gave it a listen, he doubled down on that 500M budget.. Don't know much about game budgets but that number seems unrealistic, or at least that was the consensus here when we first heard about it.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Might as well take advantage of it. It has certainly taken over the console market that's for sure. (Before people say "but counter strike")

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Actually, Forging BR maps would also be amazing.

Yes. There's a lot they could do in this space that would really make it unique. Halo has a lot of stuff that fits perfectly, like Forge. An Objective based BR would also be interesting. Instead of a ring closing in, you could have CTF, Assault, Headhunter, KotH, Oddball, etc. Maybe even have multiple Objectives throughout a match.

PvPvE seems to really make sense here for Halo, too.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
just gave it a listen, he doubled down on that 500M budget.. Don't know much about game budgets but that number seems unrealistic, or at least that was the consensus here when we first heard about it.
Destiny 1 had a similar budget, it's going to be the tent pole game on their new system. It has to go big.

Hopefully that budget includes money for a new podcast. Hunt the Truth was great.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Does anybody else get stressed out when watching this guys videos? I watched the halo one and the last few and I feel on edge.

On topic, I thought they said no BR? I guess they decided they needed to jump on the bandwagon.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
My biggest issue with BR is that I don't consider it a genre. It's a gametype for shooters, tetris, etc. If BR is going to be a thing in Halo, it better be a fraction of what the rest of the game is. It's not enough in a Halo game to have a single mode dominate the whole multiplayer. There should be dozens of modes, BR being just one of them.
Well, you're not wrong :)
Terminology is pretty fluid nowadays. Defining a strict genre is really only relevant for marketing and analytics purposes; e.g. comparing the BR genre's performance to the shooter genre. That said, games that identify themselves as BR games for marketing purposes outperform those that identify themselves as non-BR shooters.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
500 is pretty bonkers but imagine if MS really wants to reboot Halo and show it off full force, throwing a crazy amount of cash makes sense. It's not secret that Halo has been dropping for years and a new generation of systems is a perfect time to reboot it.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
A LOT of that is probably going into the engine tbh. They probably want to give other MS devs the option to use the engine (not force it) so devs have a nice base to work off of.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Halo, more than Battlefield or COD, is tailor made for Battle Royal. Keep all the core mechanics such as only holding 2 weapons...etc. Could include all those weapons mods we saw in Warzone.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But it was the one that made everyone go "oh shit, if we include a mode like this in our game, we'll be at the top of Twitch for a week or so".
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume the goals of Microsoft's flagship dev studio and franchises are a bit loftier than paying twitch streamers for a week.

It would be on mixer lol

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Why would they do this? BR doesn't fit with Halo. The last thing Halo needs is one life matches. Best part about Halo mp is getting to jump right back in when you die.

If they scrap Firefight for BR I'm done with Halo for good.

Last edited:

TyMiles2012

Mar 26, 2018
They kinda missed the BR boat by two years, but I guess the setting would work.

I do think BR kinda showed the potential of massive arena multiplayer. Doesn't have to be the same formula. I'd love to see something absolutely ridiculous someday. Maybe it could be 100 (Cov vs UNSC) players plus AI, start out as invasion but then turn into survival, it could change dynamically based on player count and team ratio. For example, if UNSC is guaranteed to lose at 1vs15, might as well emulate the end of Reach. The whole hunger games formula PUBG had was boring since the beginning though, I'll give you that.

Strittles

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Halo is such a perfect fit for BR. If this is true, I can easily see this being the first BR game I put time into.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Why would they do this? BR doesn't fit wit Halo. The last thing Halo needs is one life matches. Best part about Halo mp is getting to jump right back in when you die.

We don't have any details on the mode other than they don't want it to be a copy of existing BR games.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I wonder if they will go class based or not? Would love the option of dropping in as an ODST from orbit instead of a regular pelican.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they will go class based or not? Would love the option of dropping in as an ODST from orbit instead of a regular pelican.

Would they do a pregame lobby like Fortnite/Pubg? If they did they could have it on the Infinity, then when game starts you're put into an ODST drop pod and you pick your location on the way down.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Why would they do this? BR doesn't fit wit Halo. The last thing Halo needs is one life matches. Best part about Halo mp is getting to jump right back in when you die.

Doesn't have to be that way. Reviving is turning out to be a thing in BR games now.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Would they do a pregame lobby like Fortnite/Pubg? If they did they could have it on the Infinity, then when game starts you're put into an ODST drop pod and you pick your location on the way down.
That would be great. You should be put into one large area in your pod where you can look out and see the other players etc, maybe even show off the planet you're about to drop onto

Oct 27, 2017
They have had a lot more dev time here than other Halo games and MS isn't rushing them (they want to avoid any sort of crunch)
Well, still a lot of road-blocks that can't be easily overcome through dev time:
- if it's open world +rpg: will that work for what people love about Halo and will the story be satisfying
- making a good BR isn't that easy, takes a lot of ressources and we can't say that whether it will work for the traditionalists
- focus on service: take those factors above and add the huge service-factor the game is going to have, because MS wants to use this as their service-flagship

...I will be super surprised if 343 can pull this off, because I haven't seen any dev lately successfully tackling challenges of those proprotions.

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
It's not about Halo having a battle royale mode, if 343 Industries wants one that they are free to do so.

You just don't go out and say "we are not interested in it" or;

"I'll tell you right now, the only BR we're really interested in is Battle Rifle, okay. So, the original BR. So, calm yourself."

And than do the opposite. It was really simple if they have said "we don't have any current plans to add a BR mode" or something neutral it wouldn't be as if 343 are caving to the current trends.

Why say no rather then a maybe? Again if 343 industries decide to make one it's alright just don't go out and say no and than backpedal on you're statement.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is really exciting news.

But isn't the bigger news that Halo Infinite has a 500 million dollar budget?
That is twice the current largest amount for a game budget (GTA V @ 265m).

Slipspace is going to be Xbox Game Studios' flagship engine, methinks.
I also imagine Marty O'Donnell will be back because if you're spending 500 million on the damn game, why wouldn't you buy him out?!

jem

Oct 25, 2017
If they do end up implementing a BR mode I reckon it'll just be a side mode as part of Warzone.

It wouldn't be particularly hard to take Warzone and create a BR mode out of it. Just take Warzone, make it single life FFA and add a shrinking kill zone. Boom, you've got a BR mode. If they kept the req system then it could be quite unique. Kill players and AI enemies to earn points and purchase better weaponry. Side benefit of getting rid of the random loot aspect which is by far the worst aspect of BR games.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem with Battle Royale not having a larger focus than "just another mode" is that the audience demands frequent updates to the game.
I think 343 can learn some great lessons from what Dice did with Battlefield V's Firestorm. It was just another mode they added to the suite. Core players complain because they really just want more Conquest content, and BR players complain because the mode doesn't have enough post-launch support.

Maybe that is where the User-generated Content, that Halo is known for, could come in handy; Frankie has suggested that the players can create their own Battle Royale in the game.
I think it would make sense for 343 to create the base of the mode and then allow users to evolve on it, and just pump that UGC into the official playlist.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
I mean... Halo is a perfect game for Battle Royale

Drop in drop pods on a huge map on a Halo ring with different environmental zones

67iuU2O_d.jpg

Have fallen Covenant cruisers, Human fortifications, Forerunner caves, Forrest, snowy tundra, etc.

Have ghosts and mongooses in the level.

Scattered weapons to pick up.

They could even put in some minor AI to fight like grunts, etc.

And it would feel completely different than Apex or Fortnite.

I see some of you making the same complaints like the one I saw in the Apex Legends pre launch thread. "Wow another BR!? Stop chasing the trend" but Apex had a Battle Royale that felt completely different than any other before it.

If 343 feels like they can do something different and special with this they should go for it. Battle Royale is just another game mode like CTF, TDM, etc. Doom, Call of Duty, and Halo all have the game modes but they all feel different than one another.
Veeps is right, as usual.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm honestly play with this. With the Halo sandbox 343 can do some pretty cool stuff both aesthetically and gameplay wise.

They should also just slap the Warzone label on it too and we are good to go lol

Warzone Royale. I've been saying it for the past year.

yellow wallpaper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I would be surprised if they didn't add something like this. Though I wonder how they'll manage with the old xbox's. Maybe pc and new Xbox only?

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just a super brief segment in this video. Also touches on the "500 Million Dollar" budget that was rumored and then debunked, reinforces that it seems "accurate", if not exact.

343 has commented previously on including Battle Royale, with the following quote:

But the Battle Royale world moves fast, and this was pre-Apex Legends.

It wouldn't be surprising if they changed their stance due to fan demand, and I kind of hope that they have.

We will not talk about the launch content of Halo Infinite until we're ready. I haven't watched the video so if I am misinterpreting the headline as "'Halo Infinite is launching with/as a Halo Battle Royale mode" that is still not the case. You can probably make your own Battle Royale mode in Forge even right now though. It's a mode not a genre. And all the variants out there now are in my opinion quite radically different from my perspective. Apex vs Fortnite is chalk and cheese - one focuses on movement and map traversal and the other on building and budgeting. Like CTF. BTB Super Fiesta (for example) contains a lot of the shenanigans and emergent fun of that kind of large experience but big sandbox modes are not Battle Royale any more than Oddball is CTF. The launch modes for MP are not 100% defined and are subject to change till quite late in the process - but Battle Rifle will still be there. So you can have BR. But are we interested in big social modes with loads of organic shenanigans? Yes. Specifically A blimp full of survivors heading to an Island after a (metaphorical) lecture from Beat Takeshi? No.

We are NOT doing this as of now - and no plans to -- but Battle Royale could be made for any of the Halo games in MCC or 5 with some content and scripting additions, because it is a mode. It would have limits based on each engine. I'm pointing that out to be clear that it's one of the ways we think about gameplay possibilities rather than a single direction for a title.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
If they did a thing like Black Ops 4 where the map is a giant collection of classic Halo maps fitted together (Like Forge World in Reach) - this could be really interesting.

Considering Halo Reach had some of the MP maps built into the campaign, including a full-on remake of Ivory Tower, this idea would be a very Halo thing to do.

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
Give me Halo BR but loot is hidden behind enemies and can't be randomly found.

50 ODSTs or Spartans drop without weapons
Grunts have plasma pistols and basic elites have rifles.
Flood has human weapons
Elite weapons are hidden with high level grunts that do the birthday cheer when you kill them so other people in range can hear you.
vehicles dropped by pelicans that you have to call in with smoke grenades
Once you reach the Top 10, the kill leader is marked on the map.

We are NOT doing this as of now - and no plans to -- but Battle Royale could be made for any of the Halo games in MCC or 5 with some content and scripting additions, because it is a mode. It would have limits based on each engine. I'm pointing that out to be clear that it's one of the ways we think about gameplay possibilities rather than a single direction for a title.

Thank you for explaining this.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We will not talk about the launch content of Halo Infinite until we're ready. I haven't watched the video so if I am misinterpreting the headline as "'Halo Infinite is launching with/as a Halo Battle Royale mode" that is still not the case. You can probably make your own Battle Royale mode in Forge even right now though. It's a mode not a genre. And all the variants out there now are in my opinion quite radically different from my perspective. Apex vs Fortnite is chalk and cheese - one focuses on movement and map traversal and the other on building and budgeting. Like CTF. BTB Super Fiesta (for example) contains a lot of the shenanigans and emergent fun of that kind of large experience but big sandbox modes are not Battle Royale any more than Oddball is CTF. The launch modes for MP are not 100% defined and are subject to change till quite late in the process - but Battle Rifle will still be there. So you can have BR. But are we interested in big social modes with loads of organic shenanigans? Yes. Specifically A blimp full of survivors heading to an Island after a (metaphorical) lecture from Beat Takeshi? No.

Clearly we do not expect "a blimp full of survivors heading to an Island", but rather: a Pelican full of Spartans heading to a canyon.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
So many gametypes in Halo, which is why I love it :)