• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK

View: https://twitter.com/theraiderorg/status/1556285075246940163?s=21&t=DztIolyGJ_ebYBVKZ_Wi8A

Tomb Raider fan site Raider posted this, I don't know how legitimate they are for rumours but Tomb Raider 25th Anniversary (2021) was on the GeForce Nvidia leak where almost all of Sqaure Enix's games listed have proven to be real.

The remaster would apparently incorporate mechanics from the Survival series, and was teased at the end of Shadow of the Tomb Raider (pre-day1patch before they patched out the secret ending). Don't know how incorporating Survival trilogy mechanics would've worked when Anniversary is very not designed around them. 🤷

It could be a false rumour based on the Nvidia leak itself, that leak referenced Crystal Dynamics as the developer which Virtuous is not. So my gut feeling is fake but thought I'd share. The project definitely existed(s?) at some point.
0fym3ct5ian71.png

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Holy fuck, what an L. I love 1 and Anniversary, and if they kept Keely Hawes and the level design... This would have been such a slam dunk. Fuck.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
anniversary of the rise of the fall of the shadow of the legend of the hidden temple

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Goddamit!

This would have been an actual example of a logical and timely remake/remaster! (cough cough)

Following the SOTTR ending with this would have made so much sense, I'm not even a fan of modern TR but I'm pissed off.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
An enhanced remake of a PS2 game that's an enhanced remake of a PS1 game probably isn't a huge miss all things considered

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure how I feel about PS3604One trilogy elements being added to Anniversary but that sucks. Would gladly trade this for Star Ocean Big Legs.

emperor bohe

Oct 27, 2017
just give me a hi-res collection of all the PS1 games

although I guess that I should try out OpenLara

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tomb Raider 1, now with even more magnetic hands.
No loss at all here.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
just give me a hi-res collection of all the PS1 games

although I guess that I should try out OpenLara

I think a 4k 60fps TR Collection of all the pre PS3 games would have been better than another TR1 remake for the anniversary

It's probably less work to remaster them all than to remake the whole first game while shoehorning in elements of future games that don't fit it's design

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Anniversary remaster would be cool, but the idea of adding survival series gameplay to it sounds iffy on paper. Still a shame if true, though.

Also... Shadow had a secret ending that got patched out in a day 1 patch? What? Wasn't aware of that and that sounds bizarre too!

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
Well yeah, if it can't sell at least 10 million copies Square-Enix isn't interested.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
Hopefully they work to remaster the previous games under their new publisher. The nightdive treatment would be amazing.

Oct 30, 2017
ARE THEY FUCKING KIDDING ME ????????????????

This is THE BEST GAME in the franchise..... WHYYYYY ;_____;

FUCK I'M SO PISSED NOW.........

This is one of my all time favorite games, so upset now -_____-'

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope MGS3 doesn't get cancelled

Recent Konami cancellations have been online battle royal titles and mobile games, and even then that's not promised. I think this remake is safe.

Worst case scenario is it follows the Konami trend of being Apple Arcade exclusive.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Do we have any credible source beyond this rando twitter account claiming it has "Chinese sources"? Because otherwise I'd say it sounds fake and just based on the Nvidia leak. I know "Modern TR Bad" mentality here will lend itself to easily viewing this as "slighting" the "classic fans" or whatever, but think about it.

There's three problems with this:

1. Is this a remaster or a remake? They claim remaster but adding mechanics from completely different games while porting it to a completely different engine seems like a lot more than that. How would this even work? You can't just shove mechanics from the Survivor games into Anniversary without fundamentally changing what Anniversary is. They just don't mesh well, it'd need to be a grounds up remake for this to work. But then why specify Anniversary? It'd just be another TR1 remake then.

2. The implication that this being cancelled is why they changed the ending of Shadow in the Day 1 patch implies that the information in the Nvidia leak is from 2018. Or at least that some of it is. This doesn't really match up with everything else from said leak imo.

3. The leak specifically called it "Tomb Raider 25th Anniversary", not "Tomb Raider Anniversary Remastered" or whatever. I dunno, I have a hard time thinking they'd call the game that. It always read to me more like a new bundle or collection that was deemed not worth it.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Recent Konami cancellations have been online battle royal titles and mobile games, and even then that's not promised. I think this remake is safe.

Worst case scenario is it follows the Konami trend of being Apple Arcade exclusive.
Well there is someone that posts on the Sony OT that is on the VGC discord server.
And apparently Andy from VGC heard that Konami canceled Castelvania reboot. That is why I'm hoping MGS3 remake doesn't get the same treatment

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Do we have any credible source beyond this rando twitter account claiming it has "Chinese sources"? Because otherwise I'd say it sounds fake and just based on the Nvidia leak. I know "Modern TR Bad" mentality here will lend itself to easily viewing this as "slighting" the "classic fans" or whatever, but think about it.

There's three problems with this:

1. Is this a remaster or a remake? They claim remaster but adding mechanics from completely different games while porting it to a completely different engine seems like a lot more than that. How would this even work? You can't just shove mechanics from the Survivor games into Anniversary without fundamentally changing what Anniversary is. They just don't mesh well, it'd need to be a grounds up remake for this to work. But then why specify Anniversary? It'd just be another TR1 remake then.

2. The implication that this being cancelled is why they changed the ending of Shadow in the Day 1 patch implies that the information in the Nvidia leak is from 2018. Or at least that some of it is. This doesn't really match up with everything else from said leak imo.

3. The leak specifically called it "Tomb Raider 25th Anniversary", not "Tomb Raider Anniversary Remastered" or whatever. I dunno, I have a hard time thinking they'd called the game that. It always read to me more like a new bundle or collection that was deemed not worth it.

1. The last Anniversary game we got essentially already did that. Remaster/Remake are used interchangeably even on here depending on the person.
2. Plans could've been for this to hit sooner and the last expected timeframe was the 25th anniversary. The ending aspect could actually back this (Oh it was planned sooner but when that fell off it was changed as what was going on with the project was being determined)
3. The Nvidia Leak has a lot of code names and even with the rumored person themselves, stuff like that can change pretty easily.

I'm not saying you're wrong but your main concerns I feel are pretty easily explained. It's definitely still a rumor but would make a lot more sense as to why the 25th Anniversary was rather empty. They went all out celebrating it in every way except a new game and a canceled game originally being part of those plans (After potential earlier delays) would make a lot of sense.

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
A remake of Tomb Raider Anniversary with added survival gameplay elements is some real monkey's paw shit.

aloner

Jun 30, 2021
Australia
Not clear when this was cancelled, but this is not surprising given they sold/were gearing up to sell Eidos/Crystal Dynamics - Square would either no longer have the rights or be getting ready to sell the rights so... yeah... not shocked

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
I would imagine that Embracer would be doing something, most likely a really dumb named remaster, when they get the franchise proper.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Well, damn, I missed this from the Nvidia leak....also...

Quantum Conundrum?? I've been trying to play this again for the longest...played the hell out of it on PS3. Just saw its on PC too.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
1. The last Anniversary game we got essentially already did that. Remaster/Remake are used interchangeably even on here depending on the person.
2. Plans could've been for this to hit sooner and the last expected timeframe was the 25th anniversary. The ending aspect could actually back this (Oh it was planned sooner but when that fell off it was changed as what was going on with the project was being determined)
3. The Nvidia Leak has a lot of code names and even with the rumored person themselves, stuff like that can change pretty easily.

I'm not saying you're wrong but your main concerns I feel are pretty easily explained. It's definitely still a rumor but would make a lot more sense as to why the 25th Anniversary was rather empty. They went all out celebrating it in every way except a new game and a canceled game originally being part of those plans (After potential earlier delays) would make a lot of sense.
1. I guess, it still feels weird for them to be calling it a remaster of Anniversary, though. It's just TR1 at this point. A remake of a remake is just another remake of the original thing. It feels like confused branding.
2. The tweet implies it's all connected though, "SQEX cancelled the project and the SOTTR original ending referencing Natla was cut" is one sentence. Also 2021 isn't that far from 2018, if this is a full remake with gameplay of the Survivor games, on track for 2021 makes sense if they started in 2018. If they just decided to delay it in 2018 then why cut the ending for Shadow? It'd have still been relevant.
3. Fair.

I dunno, I suppose it's possible this is true but I'm having a hard time believing the timeline. Unless there's evidence elsewhere on the Nvidia leak that some of it's information was as old as pre-2018, I'm gonna wait for any other confirmation or source before believing it as fact.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
Hmm. All I personally want is the original Tomb Raider Anniversary on my PS5. All it needs is an up-res and 60 FPS - basically the PC version. Nothing fancy just so I can enjoy it once again and grab all the trophies. This is what I expected Embracer to do now that they own the IP.

This doesn't sound like that though. Something older and more effort than I'm asking for it seems. If this true then maybe this rumored game was dropped once the IP moved over and we are getting something new from Crystal Dynamics and hopefully the TRA remaster I mentioned in the first paragraph.

Oct 27, 2017
It always seemed like a bit of a weird project to me. They've been teasing Lara Croft becoming the character from original Tomb Raider in each of the rebooted survival trilogy, so to end up bridging the gap with a survival-focused remake of the (remake of the) original by an external studio seemed a strange way of going about it.

Especially since they're making a fourth game in the survival reboot, where they'll either end on the same tease again, or they'll finally commit to Lara becoming the 'Tomb Raider'. In either case, you'd expect they'd want to be the ones to reboot/remake the very first game so it matches their continunity.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Fake. This is another example of people taking things that are already floating around, and compiling them in to a believable narrative so people say "oh it must be real because it lines up with these other things" even though those other things are exactly what they used to try and make their fake rumour sound believable.