• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
According to Jordan Maison, from Cinelinx, Disney and Lucasfilm are unhappy with how EA is handling the Star Wars license and might be looking for other developers to take care of the license, including Ubisoft and Activision.

From the article:
Electronic Arts snagged the exclusive license deal to create and publish Star Wars games all the way back in 2013. In the time since, however, EA has struggled with the property. The first game they announced (and released), Star Wars Battlefront, suffered backlash with its lack of single-player campaign; launching with such little content that many became bored quickly. Subsequent DLC packs added a lot of great content, but by the end, everyone was waiting to see what was next.

Battlefront II brought only more problems; despite making changes at the last minute, the launch was pretty rocky, and the whole debacle has brought a wave of attention down on "loot boxes" in gaming (with some Governments looking to crack down on the practice). EA's latest financial statements have shown the impact with sales down and failing to meet expectations.

Star Wars is dominating the big screen, comics, and novels once again, but it's lacking big time in the games department. While the constant stream of mobile titles have been decent enough, they don't quite scratch the itch for many gamers. Originally Lucasfilm went to EA because it was such a large company with many developers under their control; so they could potentially deliver more Star Wars games in a quicker amount of time. Five years in and only two games released (one of which is a sequel), with a couple others barely announced, the investment isn't paying off like they wanted.

Late last year, Visceral shut down and their long-gestating story driven, Star Wars game,codenamed "Ragtag," was scrapped (although it's assets/engine will be used for another game). This was a major blow, considering it was supposed to be EA's big Star Wars release in 2018 (which is looking barren now). With only a handful of other games currently in development but not ready to show...Fans are understandably disappointed and worried.

From what I've heard Lucasfilm is upset as well and looking for other options. I've had a couple sources reach out to me about the current state of Star Wars gaming. According to them, Disney/LFL higher ups pulled EA to the "principal's office" to talk about what's going wrong (which is what others have reported as well). Moreso, they've apparently reached out to both Ubisoft and Activision about developing Star Wars games.
http://www.cinelinx.com/game-rumors...with-2-new-game-developers-for-star-wars.html

STGHMAAV

Oct 26, 2017
Please talk instead with Factor 5 or its original members to make Rogue Squadron Trilogy HD

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Need new Lego Star Wars titles. Focus on only Battlefront titles was a mistake...the IP is much bigger and shouldnt be limited to FPS.
Okay to be fair they also have the mobile titles...but still.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Please give me a space sim! Or an arcade space sim

I miss X-wings :(

Zoantharia

Oct 30, 2017
Limiting development to one publisher was such a stupid idea in the first place, glad they're exploring more options

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Go the Marvel route and do different projects in different genres with different devs, you fricking goofs

Status
Not open for further replies.