• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
8-A62-F41-D-BA68-45-D7-A78-B-C829-B035624-B.jpg

Might get a trailer for that tomorrow at the game fest show. As this was a the roadmap of Flight Sim
with a trailer for June 10

DR_hyt543.jpg

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I fell off playing on PC once I got performance and controls ironed out, but I'm weirdly excited to mess around with the console release. This is a big game for me.

Drowner

Banned
May 20, 2019
Can you just turn off the difficulty/ flying mechanics and just fly around to look at places?

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
Can you just turn off the difficulty/ flying mechanics and just fly around to look at places?

Yes there are various complexity settings, controlling with the controller on some of the easier settings is quite easy. You can also turn off much of the complexity in terms of flight procedure if you want (pre-flight checks, taxi procedures, checking in with towers, getting a landing area assigned etc.)

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
There's a free camera/drone camera you can use that is separate from your plane. I think it's meant to be used to take photos but you can freely fly around with it with seemingly no limit

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

More or less. You can turn the controls down to be super basic (in fact, you can set the plane on literal auto pilot and you don't have to control shit). You can start already in the air with a flight path marked.

Basically, yes. You don't need to go through all the starting up the plane and taking off every time if you just want to fly over Paris and check it out.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
Every time I think about flight simulator i think about how Kenan's character in snakes on the plane had to land the plane and when they asked him where he learned how to fly he tells them he learned on flight simulator on the ps2

Drowner

Banned
May 20, 2019
Yes there are various complexity settings, controlling with the controller on some of the easier settings is quite easy. You can also turn off much of the complexity in terms of flight procedure if you want (pre-flight checks, taxi procedures, checking in with towers, getting a landing area assigned etc.)
There's a free camera/drone camera you can use that is separate from your plain. I think it's meant to be used to take photos but you can freely fly around with it with seemingly no limit
Take a simple plane, spawn on the runway, full throttle and it'll take off by the end of the runway.

awesome. I'm so excited to just look at everything. I love looking at google maps. after I do some of that maybe I'll try the actual game stuff.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
awesome. I'm so excited to just look at everything. I love looking at google maps.

This game was made for you!

I'm the same as you. Google Earth VR was on my GOTY list when it came out.

Flight Sim was my GOTY last year for the same reason. It's virtual tourism. It's amazing.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I ran this on my PC and it ran OK, but I would love the ease of playing this on console. I wonder if they are shooting for 30fps since the game is so heavy.

Oct 27, 2017
Man I thought the Digital Foundry guys would be able to take a little break after catching up on the launch period.

IIRC, this game scaled okay graphically but the CPU usage was not very good at utilizing more than four cores. Will be interesting to see how much optimization has occurred on that front.

I ran this on my PC and it ran OK, but I would love the ease of playing this on console. I wonder if they are shooting for 30fps since the game is so heavy.

I think that's a given since the games in this genre usually play fine at even sub-30fps. I guess it's because you don't really get immediate visual feedback of any changes when flying a real plane?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

I would be shocked if it isn't 30fps on console. And that's fine for a flight sim. It's all very slow movement, slow panning, nudging sticks.

It should be able to hit 60fps easily when high up or over countryside. But dense cities will kill the performance. Better just to lock it all down for consistency. 30 is great for Flight Sim.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I wonder how it'll run on Series S. My Dad was a heli pilot and I've shown him Flight Sim as a "wow look at this". He'd probably enjoy the full pc HOTAS VR setup if he had the opportunity, but cost wise... No.

If Series S runs it well enough maybe he'd get one to play lol

Mihku

Oct 27, 2017
I hope the update process will be like normal games (so no in-game updates), because thats a complete train wreck on pc.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I would be shocked if it isn't 30fps on console. And that's fine for a flight sim. It's all very slow movement, slow panning, nudging sticks.

It should be able to hit 60fps easily when high up or over countryside. But dense cities will kill the performance. Better just to lock it all down for consistency. 30 is great for Flight Sim.

Yeah I am totally fine with it. Even unlocked on my machine fluctuating between 30-50fps it still felt pretty smooth to play. It would be nice if they would let you uncap it for VRR displays.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I would assume Quick Resume is basically a no-go for this game, right? It has to constantly be pinging the servers for data, doesn't it?

Either way, I'm excited to finally have a system powerful enough to run Flight Sim, and I'm going to try to damndest to figure it out.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I would assume Quick Resume is basically a no-go for this game, right? It has to constantly be pinging the servers for data, doesn't it?

Either way, I'm excited to finally have a system powerful enough to run Flight Sim, and I'm going to try to damndest to figure it out.

You can play it offline. It doesn't pull in any fancy map stuff though obviously, it's a cut down experience.

You can lose connection while playing and reconnect and it doesnt kick you or anything. So technically could support Quick Resume...

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
I know they were starved for announcements, but I kinda feel like this release should have been kept quiet and then announced / shadow dropped at E3.

Oct 12, 2020
Been off the forum for a bit getting my vegetable garden up and going and now I return to see THIS!

Probably in my top 3 of Most Anticipated titles for Series X.

FS was supposed to be "Summer 2021" and the 15th of June ain't Summer the last time I checked....so sounds too good to be true, but I'll gladly take it if it happens.

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I spent about 100 hours with the PC version last summer as a flight Sim noob with a controller. It's amazing. Can't wait to see the console version.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how this will look/play on the series s?

Should be great. PC graphics card requirements are crazy low. It's CPU hungry and the Series S has the same CPU as the Series X.

The recommended GPU for the game (not minimum, the recommended) is a 970, which was a mid-range card that came out six years ago, or a year after the OG Xbox One to put into context.

Like, it's not gonna do ultra settings at 4k. But, then, most PC Flight Sim players aren't either.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
That's good and nice but honestly what I want to know is when Age of Empires is getting an Xbox port MS…

Don't let me down Uncle Phil!

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
This would be amazing, I can't wait to just fly around different places that I want to visit in real life lol.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Would be very surprised if this got bumped to Keighleys show instead of their own E3 event, considering how much of a graphical showcase it is for the Series X/S.