• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Vieweanon is very reliable when it comes to screening news and has a good reputation in leaking several story beats in the past for movies.

Interesting that we will see Ellie's mom in it. That means we'll see younger Ellie then we do I. Left behind.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Pretty excited about the TV show. I loved the game but I definitely think it could've worked great as a movie/TV show.

Soap NickTavish

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
I'm fine with this and cannot wait for the show. We know just by the nature of the medium there will be expanded parts/roles.

I have total faith in HBO, Druckmann, Mazin, and the cast 🙏🏻

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Good. The adaptation should not be 1:1.

Expanse is a great example how adaptation can be done.

I just worried how this is gonna affect the pacing tbh, I know most of them will probably come from the characters seeing artifacts, but I just hope it's not too much and hope they know not every artifact needs a flashback. I'm talking namely the suicide couple in the bath tub and the family in the rv in Salt Lake City. Those where so effective specifically because of lack of flashback and being a form of environmental storytelling & I hope that it's not lost somehow.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Exciting.

Hopefully Ish gets an episode.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
You forgot the *SHOCKING* part.

Can't wait for this though, should be pretty awesome as long as my friend keeps his HBO sub going.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I bet there'll be stuff from the American Dream's comic

1388757.jpg

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Makes sense, Neil/ND were directly involved with the show so it would make sense for them to tell parts of the story they didn't manage to tell, or tell in the way they wanted, in the game for X reasons.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
That's not surprising. The game isn't long enough to really not fill out gaps.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
We knew it was going to have new stuff did we not?

Curious to the official photos hopefully soon

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I just worried how this is gonna affect the pacing tbh, I know most of them will probably come from the characters seeing artifacts, but I just hope it's not too much and hope they know not every artifact needs a flashback. I'm talking namely the suicide couple in the bath tub and the family in the rv in Salt Lake City. Those where so effective specifically because of lack of flashback and being a form of environmental storytelling & I hope that it's not lost somehow.

We have zero idea how they're structuring the story. I dont think we should assume it will follow the game closely. A big part of the game are gameplay shootouts/sneakouts, some puzzles, or characters doing a walk & talk. Except a bunch of tense scenes, scares and a few action beats; I don't think we'll get a 20 minute shootout in every episode with the actors ducking behind chest-high cover, or have Joel inspect notes left behind on the fridge, or have him dragging around with ladders :P

So they'll need to fill in quite some story; I believe the total of all TLOU1 cutscenes hits around 1h 30; so they'll need to get creative to get up to those (probably hourlong) 10 episodes.

For what its worth, per wikipedia:

Writing[edit]

Mazin and Druckmann are writing the series.[SUP][31][/SUP] Mazin, a fan of the video game, was introduced to Druckmann through Shannon Woodward, a mutual friend who portrayed Dina in Part II. Druckmann, a fan of Mazin's series Chernobyl, was originally working on a film adaptation of the game; Mazin felt that it required the length and pacing of a television series, and Druckmann agreed.[SUP][69][/SUP] Mazin said that the series may represent a paradigm shift for film and television adaptations of video games due to the strength of the narrative, noting that "it would only take [HBO executives] 20 minutes on Google to realize that The Last of Us is the Lawrence of Arabia of video game narratives".[SUP][70][/SUP] Mazin said that the changes being made for the adaptation "are designed to fill things out and expand, not to undo, but enhance".[SUP][71][/SUP] He noted that the series was avoiding episodic storylines, such as random encounters not present in the original story. He added that content that was cut from the game will be added to the show, including one "jaw drop" moment that Druckmann described to him.[SUP][72][/SUP] Druckmann noted that some of the show's scripts borrow dialogue directly from the game, while others deviate more significantly; some of the game's action-heavy tutorial sequences will be changed to focus more on the show's character drama, at the request of HBO.[SUP][28][/SUP] Druckmann noted that the series was taking the opposite approach to adaptation than the film Uncharted (2022), based on the video game series by Naughty Dog; while Uncharted tells a new story with moments from the games to give "an Uncharted flavor", The Last of Us is a direct adaptation with minor deviations, allowing alterations such as changing character perspectives in a manner unachievable in an immersive game.[SUP][51][/SUP]

According to Luna, the show's outbreak takes place in 2003;[SUP][10][/SUP] in the game, it occurs in 2013.[SUP][73][/SUP]

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Unsurprising. TLOU1 doesn't really have THAT MUCH story when you get down to it, so it makes sense to fill in a lot of the gaps where nothing actually important happens, but Joel and Ellie are still just traveling forward and murdering people because a game's gotta have gameplay, with actual plot.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Long as Druckmann is involved I'm cool with whatever.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Well, I believe Dr. Uckmann confirmed a long ass while ago that we'll see stuff not from the games so I'm not that surprised.

I don't even know why this would need to be confirmed. The story in the Last of Us is one of the greatest in video game history but who actually wants to just watch it on TV exactly the same? Nobody.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Different medium and it offers something new for the fans who played the game too. Just waiting for that first trailer.

ResetSoul

Banned
Jul 29, 2021
I've always felt like military boarding school(?) Ellie grew up in was something of a conspicuous blank spot.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
They are likely going to show the Joel and tommy relationship when they worked together for the fireflies. Tommy described that time as a nightmare when they meet again in tlou

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Oh no... This is gonna ruin the series.

Edit: someone please tell me this won't be as horrible as the halo tv show

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I'm all for it. Flesh the world and backstory out even more, it'd be kinda boring if it was trying to be 1:1 with the game plot.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
If Uncharted 4 is any indication I think that's a mystery better left mysterious.

At least let it be more interesting than her working at some lab and testing a vaccine on herself.