• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 21, 2019
Can someone please explain like I'm 30 what the fuck is going on at Intel. They used to be on top for years and now they look like kindergarten children trying to put out a kitchen fire.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10847

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Problem is that they will have nothing to compete on high core count cpus in 2020. AMD will be playing alone at least until 2021.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10847

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone please explain like I'm 30 what the fuck is going on at Intel. They used to be on top for years and now they look like kindergarten children trying to put out a kitchen fire.

Usually cpus are planned many years in advance, specially major uarch changes. Intel didn't believe that ryzen could be as good as it is and kept refreshing the old skylake core.

Also, they are stuck at 14nm.

VerySerious

Oct 25, 2017

They stagnated for quite a while until AMD caught up with their Zen CPU architecture (the architecture behind Ryzen/Threadripper/Epyc). Now AMD CPUs are pretty much equal or more powerful than Intel's, usually for much cheaper too.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
If they have to delay next node even more and keep being stuck on 14nm then Intel is truly fucked...

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
That sucks.

This is not good for consumers, so despite whether they "deserve it" we really shouldn't be cheering their failures as I see some people at least borderline do.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA

The easiest comparison would be writers block. They're stuck.

They've been using, roughly, the same fabrication process for over four years now.

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017
I remember back in 2012 when I built my first desktop and AMD was considered a joke. Grats to AMD for turning things around. Intel has got to get its shit together.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
doesn't the 9900k already require water to be cooled effectively .
no.

a good air cooler is more than enough for gaming. i have mine running at 5.0GHz and it rarely goes beyond 55-60C but usually sits at 40-50C. in video editing it's usually 60-70C. under idle/light usage it's no more than 25C.

if you really push it hard or do insane stress tests then it can get really hot. like hot enough to boil water.

for comparison, my 3700X idles at 35-50C but gaming is similar.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I remember back in 2012 when I built my first desktop and AMD was considered a joke. Grats to AMD for turning things around. Intel has got to get its shit together.

Lisa Su did some good even if risky decisions with the company. Quite a few thought it would be end of it when CPU segment was struggling real bad and AMD basically gutted their dGPU department(s) to go all in on few year R&D cycle of Ryzen.

Then they got perfect storm.

Deleted member 35204

Banned
Dec 3, 2017

Wow. Spot on. Great video.
lmao no.
Intel hit a technological roadblock in 2015 circa because their roadmaps were incredibly aggressive and they were caught completely off guard by it destroying their entire development pipeline, so the best they could do was iterate the same products over and over and over again and that's exactly what happened.
Only now they are barely recovering but on the other side there's AMD that had all the time of the world to catch up.

Havel

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not planning on upgrading my PC until next year after Ampere releases so this is fine by me.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10847

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lmao no.
Intel hit a technological roadblock in 2015 circa because their roadmaps were incredibly aggressive and they were caught completely off guard by it destroying their entire development pipeline, so the best they could do was iterate the same products over and over and over again and that's exactly what happened.
Only now they are barely recovering but on the other side there's AMD that had all the time of the world to catch up.

Not entirely true. They recycled their skylake arch with minor changes, we had 4c/8t for many gens when they could offer higher core counts as we can see now.

They could have done so much more even on 14nm. They just didn't think AMD could improve so much IPC from bulldozer to zen.

Deleted member 35204

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
when they could offer higher core counts as we can see now.
Absolutely not, the node that Skylake used wasn't absolutely good enough to offer higher core counts at good frequency/thermal performance. See Skylake HEDT for confirmation and see how a same core count part performs with 9th gen despite their microarchitecture being fundamentally the same.
The fabs have been optimized too in these years it's not like they were idling around on that sector, which has shown to to be a double edged sword too because now with 14nm++++++++++++++ they can make chips with crazy frequencies that can't be met by 10nm just yet, if the node was the same as the one used in Skylake or even Kaby Lake then their current 10nm(+?) would have been more than enough to replace it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10847

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely not, the node that Skylake used wasn't absolutely good enough to offer higher core counts at good frequency/thermal performance. See Skylake HEDT for confirmation and see how a same core count part performs with 9th gen despite their microarchitecture being fundamentally the same.
The fabs have been optimized too in these years it's not like they were idling around on that sector, which has shown to to be a double edged sword too because now with 14nm++++++++++++++ they can make chips with crazy frequencies that can't be met by 10nm just yet, if the node was the same as the one used in Skylake or even Kaby Lake then their current 10nm(+?) would have been more than enough to replace it.

I don't believe they will get those frequencies on 10nm, they will move to 7nm before that. Betting on 10nm for so long was a big mistake.

Also you could get higher core counts on skylake they just didn't bother to make it viable for non Hedt parts, they milked it as much as they could and they were caught completely off guard, as said above, they didn't believe that the zen core could bring such an improvement over their last design.

This attitude is not exclusive to Intel, every company with a monopoly does this kind of crappy tactics, 0 innovation for their costumers only minor improvements.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
This makes me regret selling off my AMD shares at $6 just checked and they're now topping $40

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
So if I'm upgrading my gaming pc this year, would it be better to go for one of the new Ryzens?

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
lmao no.
Also, it seemed like Intel focused more on low wattage parts around then as well, considering ARM SoC companies as a rival rather than AMD.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man only 4, 5 years ago when I built with my 4690k AMD was still considered a joke. The tables have turned immensely., and I'll be going AMD this year for my second build.
Excuse this shitposting, but my how the times have changed:

A couple things -- aside from all this being rumor, the 300W power consumption number doesn't necessarily mean you'll need some massive cooler rated for 300W to cool it. This also isn't a finalized product (yet), so they could still make changes and/or somehow improve efficiency.

I'm laughing all the way to the bank with Intel's CPU woes though.
I just bought my first AMD stock yesterday... I think I need more.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Excuse this shitposting, but my how the times have changed:
09HQT8N.jpg

A couple things -- aside from all this being rumor, the 300W power consumption number doesn't necessarily mean you'll need some massive cooler rated for 300W to cool it. This also isn't a finalized product (yet), so they could still make changes and/or somehow improve efficiency.

I'm laughing all the way to the bank with Intel's CPU woes though.