• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
The apparent 2 SKU launch approach and their willingness to talk at E3 this year would seem to indicate that they are quite confident in having the strongest console option available next generation.
I'm happy their confident, but giving Sony a theoretical 8 month period to gauge reactions and react could make that confidence misguided. Sony could absolutely make changes to their platform in that amount of time.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy their confident, but giving Sony a theoretical 8 month period to gauge reactions and react could make that confidence misguided. Sony could absolutely make changes to their platform in that amount of time.

It is pure fantasy that any platform holder can make major changes in that timeframe, heck someone earlier quoted Mark Cerny as saying "spec lockdown" is about 2 years out usually. Please describe the types of changes that are realistic based on reacting in an 8 month period.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Only the high end model will have it so they would effectively be forcing me to get that.
I see.

I mean, I could deal with a version of the consoles that doesn't have a disc drive, but at the same time it makes BC harder. I don't see, say, a "normal" model without a disc drive in it and a .5 version at the same time that does have the disc drive. The Xbox would especially make this weirder with their push for BC being such a thing.

I also wonder if either company has learned from the multiple launch SKU thing, given Sony's PS3 pricing issues to begin with and MS's Xbone launch pricing + later multiple SKU release.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
It is pure fantasy that any platform holder can make major changes in that timeframe, heck someone earlier quoted Mark Cerny as saying "spec lockdown" is about 2 years out usually. Please describe the types of changes that are realistic based on reacting in an 8 month period.

ps4 ram upgrade sounded like it was a "last minute" thing they ended up being able to do as well as clock increases on the xbone. albeit these things weren't like major hardware changes and not necessarily reactions to anything.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It's widely known that PS4 went from 4GB of ram to 8GB in a pretty short period due to feedback. When PS4 was announced, many devs weren't expecting the 4GB number because it's not what they had been working with.

I'm obviously not saying sweeping changes, but things like that can be altered.

Nov 30, 2017
If they really want to release 2 or 3 models for next gen launch their strategy is starting to feel bipolar and desperate.

Deleted member 34385

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 26, 2017
its all about the message, they dont need to change the hardware, they just need to do what they did during the launch of the ps4 and react to xbox and ninty.

Deleted member 49132

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Absolutely.

Microsoft revealing specs of Anaconda at E3 2019 gives Sony ample time to change things - and if not match, even exceed Anaconda's specs.

The parts will not have been ordered yet. There's plenty of time for changes between June 2019 and whenever Sony plans to reveal PS5 specs

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
Going to need the NTKRNL and CBOAT posts before boarding the train.

nox14zl.jpg

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely.

Microsoft revealing specs of Anaconda at E3 2019 gives Sony ample time to change things - and if not match, even exceed Anaconda's specs.

The parts will not have been ordered yet. There's plenty of time for changes between June 2019 and whenever Sony plans to reveal PS5 specs

"The parts will not have been ordered yet." That is some good stuff right there.

BobbyRawlins

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, im out on rpg elements in halo. not every game needs to be a grind for experience points to unlock your next skill.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
If Microsoft wants to announce their Generation 9 console eighteen months before release, well, good luck to them.

I don't think it's going to happen, personally.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
If it's a streaming box why does it come with a 1tb ssd?

Maybe it will have local compatibility with some lighter games. Maybe it won't really have that ssd. maybe it's supposed to provide some kind of hardware functions that make it a good cell over just streaming on your phone. Who knows.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Why would people even need a new console of it was streaming only ? Couldnt the X do that already?

There are always going to be people who want their hardware local for performance. Streaming is not mainstream tech yet, plus data caps exist.

You gotta think about cost as well. You can't expect people to pay X prices just for an xcloud box. It should be much cheaper than the X.

Operations

Oct 29, 2017
As others have pointed out, announcing a new console this year at E3 but launching it until fall 2020 makes no sense. They either launch it this year or hold on the announcement till next year.

No way they prematurely kill Xbox One X sales at this time.

Jan 3, 2019
As others have pointed out, announcing a new console this year at E3 but launching it until fall 2020 makes no sense. They either launch it this year or hold on the announcement till next year.

No way they prematurely kill Xbox One X sales at this time.
Didn't they do the same with the X? Heck, didn't they announce it as Scorpio even before that?

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
No offense to the high spec people ITT, but I kinda hope the specs of the base model are accurate. The lower the baseline is, the higher the likelihood of my preferred platform/form factor (Switch 2) getting native ports of third-party software.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

Dante316

Oct 25, 2017
Plus from all these rumors the next Sony console will not be more powerful than Xbox. So Sony has to craft a better message with their services and games since Xbox is going to show up 🔥

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
343 has already come out and said they want to tell simpler stories in Halo after Halo 5... happened.

I wouldn't be so quick to freak out about this. I don't expect a whole lot more than Gears' "branching story decisions". Certainly not more than Farcry.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Attacking the next gen market from "both ends" (one console for the 'starting at' price, one for those who want the beefiest system) might be a valid strategy.
But trying to communicate that to the average consumer is gonna be hell.

The new consoles need SSDs, so i have no issues believing that. (and ootb support for external storage, ofc) - 5400RPM disc drives would cripple these devices, especially given how much modern engines and games depend on asset streaming; and assets are becoming bigger and bigger, right?

Probably why they announce this at E3 gives them a year to control messaging so even the dumbest consumer knows what each does by release.

The Xbox One was partially sunk by rumors that MS couldnt really counter until it was too late.

Seems they are leaving nothing to chance this time.

Oct 25, 2017
a 500GB-1TB SSD would drive up the price by a ludicrous amount, though, and 1TB will probably have to be the minimum console storage capacity considering how much install sizes have blown up over this gen and how much they'll probably blow up over next gen.

My guess is that next gen we'll see consoles go with a hybrid solution where you still have a 1TB+ platter drive but you also have a ~64-128GB SSD that stores the game you're currently playing for faster loads.

I don't know about a ludicrous amount. SSDs have come down in price a lot and it's not like MS/Sony wouldn't get discounts for buying in bulk. If MS are going to drop a premium console along with a cheaper module, that premium model really should have an SSD even if it drives up the cost to a some degree.

Last edited:

Xmengrey

Banned
Jul 19, 2018
right (ha!), forgot it was only writes, not reads.

still not a fan of a non-replaceable drive though. Microsoft needs to change that next gen.

Reminder that the X has 12 GB of ram. >16 for next gen is more than feasible.

The One X has 12GB GDDR5 next gen is getting GDDR6 and no game uses more than 12GB of RAM so unneeded for more

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Or an alternative view would be that they are providing purchase options to the consumer. I mean are multiple models of cell phones and price points bipolar and desperate?
I don't know about desperate, but definitely bipolar. It's ridiculous to see, say, Samsung release a GS model with 2 or 3 sizes on top of multiple storage sizes. Apple just did the same thing twice. Hell, I think one of the only phones I've ever seen not do this was the Essential PH1, which just went for a single model with 128GB storage. Unfortunately we see how that went.

It's still my favorite phone ever, partly because of this.