• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Seems like a guess based on leaks and speculation already available. We'll see though. E3 is just a few months away.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
okay so the details the article actually does say:
1) both scarlett machines will feature an SSD
2) scarlett will be revealed in E3 2019
3) halo infinite is the launch game

however the performance metrics in there are just a repost of the xbox reddit leak, which still reads totally fake to me.

They're saying that the specs are close to this though, it's not just a repeat.

Jan 4, 2018
http://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/10065...eux-prochaines-xbox-devoilees-a-l-e3-2019.htm

So there will be two different models, one for streaming and one uber powerful and expensive.

Lock the thread if it's old news.
That's not correct.
Nowhere in the article it says Lockhart is a streaming device. It says that it's made with dematerialisé (digital) in mind, so no optical drive.
It's been already discussed (Windows Central, Brad Sams...) that there will be a more affordable one (Lockhart) probably for 1080-1440 and one premium (Anaconda) for 4K, with the streaming device being another hardware piece entirely (and even cheaper than Lockhart)
Well, they were the first to say Nier:Automata was heading for Xbox

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
They're saying that the specs are close to this though, it's not just a repeat.
they are saying that they think it is close because they confirmed the SSD. they didnt talk about anything else.
for all we know this "Report" could just be what the verified user in here was saying which mentioned the same.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Yeah sounds like one is your 900p-1080p box for $300 and then you have your 4K version with more effects for $500.
Indeed, so obviously whilst the GPU is less powerful than the X, it's only having to drive 1080p so it's still going to have a crazy amount more horsepower to play with. The CPU would be the same as Anaconda, so only the resolution needs to be scaled down and no compromises have to be made on the game or graphics when designing for Anaconda.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Doesn't at all look like a device for streaming and a device for the high end.

Looks to me like a device for 1080p and a device for 4k.

I think MS will make a streaming only device, but it won't need a relatively powerful GPU or CPU, and certainly won't need much ram or a hard drive. A streaming only device would be something smaller and cheaper. Maybe the rumours of a budget disc driveless One S would be the device for streaming next gen games.

Obviously streaming could be supported on these devices too, but those are specs for consoles that would natively play next gen games.

Oct 26, 2017
Somehow I doubt a reveal at this E3. If it's coming late next year, why not just have a special event sometime next year?

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Wuuut, the base Xbox will only be 4 TF next gen? Even if it's gonna be a 1080p version of Anaconda, that baseline doesn't too promising for Xbox. Especially if a PS5 comes out with ~ Anaconda specs and makes that its baseline.

http://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/10065...eux-prochaines-xbox-devoilees-a-l-e3-2019.htm

So there will be two different models, one for streaming and one uber powerful and expensive.

Lock the thread if it's old news.

Lockhart isn't the streaming console, it's next gen's base "S" model.

SSD's for storage? Incredibly out of everything I find that the hardest bit to believe.

Especially the 1TB kind.
Why? Last black friday you could get 1TB SSDs for near 2 digit figures. SSDs prices have crashed and they'll keep going down, I see SSDs becoming the standard next gen.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
they are saying that they think it is close because they confirmed the SSD. they didnt talk about anything else.
for all we know this "Report" could just be what the verified user in here was saying which mentioned the same.

No they said that their sources confirmed that the leaks specs are close to reality, especially the SSD in both consoles.

Get_crazy

Oct 28, 2017
okay so the details the article actually does say:
1) both scarlett machines will feature an SSD
2) scarlett will be revealed in E3 2019
3) halo infinite is the launch game

however the performance metrics in there are just a repost of the xbox reddit leak, which still reads totally fake to me.
in the article, it's said:
"during our investigation, we also had the confirmation that [the specs] that leaked in january were close to the reality"

so the specs featured in the article are indeed a repost from the reddit leak but their own sources told them it was pretty much true. And the journalist who wrote the article said he worked on it for almost 2 months so I'm encline to believe him, he's legit.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Well... I hope it costs less or on par with PS5 cause that shit will not be noticed by the majority who buy consoles. They care more about storage space.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
A number of things here seem quite strange.

The GPU on the Lockhart bit seems too weak if it's to be a standalone entry point, while it seems like too much if it's to carry a 'streaming emphasis'?

With 16GB of RAM I'd hope for something cheaper than 'One X' pricing for the Anaconda model.

Hmm. I don't know if I believe these rumours but if they're true it feels like over-egging a pudding that doesn't need to be so disparate and complicated. Just make one decent entry point that's a decent jump up at 399 (or even 499 if you must) and call it a day.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Will be interesting whether Scarlett is revealed fully at E3, or just a Scorpio type reveal.

If fully announced then we'll get to see some announcements of a few next-gen games surely.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
in the article, it's said:
"during our investigation, we also had the confirmation that [the specs] that leaked in january were close to the reality"

so the specs featured in the article are indeed a repost from the reddit leak but their own sources told them it was pretty much true. And the journalist who wrote the article said he worked on it for almost 2 months so I'm encline to believe him, he's legit.
funny you ignored the rest of the sentence:
starting with the presence of SSDs on both machines.
they didnt give any other confirmation regarding the details, so for all we know that could be the only confirmation they have.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
4TF seems low for the base unit - even for 1080p if the higher end is pushing 12TF.
16GB seems low on the top end machine if the lower spec has 12GB and only needing 1080p textures/assets etc.
1TB/SSD is overkill for both machines - but especially for the cost of the lower spec. Smaller SSD for cache (128GB ish) and the rest mechanical storage would be a good option I think

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Same speed SSDs across all SKUs is great news. It means devs can actually rely on the speed being there instead of having to still make sure games run on a HDD. This will allow for some radically different game design.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Same speed SSDs across all SKUs is great news. It means devs can actually rely on the speed being there instead of having to still make sure games run on a HDD. This will allow for some radically different game design.
doesnt that mean that external hard drive would require SSD's though? i can see that annoying consumers who purchase an external HDD only to find out it wont work.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I kinda don't believe any of this except for Halo infinite being a launch game.

Like announcing these consoles this summer, more than a year from launch seems stupid to me.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, so fake. No way can they afford to include NVMe SSDs in game consoles, especially not 1 TB ones that currently cost over $180 for shitty ones and $230-250+ for decent ones for retail drives. Yeah, Microsoft would pay much less for them, but they need to include 7 nm Ryzen+Navi processors/GPU and have the console cost under $500, possibly $400. And a cheap streaming console that costs say $100-150 especially can't afford to have a large sized Nvme drive in it.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
E3 2019 ? That soon ? I wasn't expecting to see MS announcing next-gen that soon...even more soon than Sony...

They don't really have much choice. I think in the NPD threads several of the sales insiders were suggesting drops for both Sony and MS in 2019, with *significant* drops for MS. At this point they don't lose much in terms of Xbox 1 sales by pitching a new machine, and everything to gain by having Sony not saying anything at the moment.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Okay. Now it is starting to feel like new gen is coming. People discussing over leaks are fun to read about.

SSD as storage might be pushing it a bit but SSD have become very cheap recently. Least costlier they have ever been infact

Butterworth

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
I think after the Switch, having a solid exclusive as a launch game is the way to go. So if MS can launch Infinite Day and date, it would for sure be a solid reason to buy at launch for all fans (both hardcore and '2 games a year' types). Whether it turns out to be good or not is another thing entirely..

An SSD is realistic, but a 1tb SSD is NOT. Can't see that happening tbh, the cost of that would push the console up a fair amount. I guess it depends on who they are targeting with this.

Either way, nice to see the Next gen rumour mill flowing.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think after the Switch, having a solid exclusive as a launch game is the way to go. So if MS can launch Infinite Day and date, it would for sure be a solid reason to buy at launch for all fans (both hardcore and '2 games a year' types). Whether it turns out to be good or not is another thing entirely..

An SSD is realistic, but a 1tb SSD is NOT. Can't see that happening tbh, the cost of that would push the console up a fair amount. I guess it depends on who they are targeting with this.

Either way, nice to see the Next gen rumour mill flowing.

Problem is, Halo is a really US+UK franchise and it won't help them increasing their appeal to other countries.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
they also mention lockhart wont have a blu ray drive. i dont know if people would want to purchase a console without it.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I kinda don't believe any of this except for Halo infinite being a launch game.

Like announcing these consoles this summer, more than a year from launch seems stupid to me.
If Scarlett is announced this Summer then I suspect it's coming Q1 2020. Otherwise, like you, it feels like a way too long time between reveal and launch.
Problem is, Halo is a really US+UK franchise and it won't help them increasing their appeal to other countries.
They need to increase their appeal in US/UK too.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
People expecting massive amounts of ram were always going to be disappointed.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Not all of those specs are accurate.
called it.
regarding specs the only thing they did was confirm the SSD.
if there were any more specs leaks they confirmed then why not mention them.

What about the E3 2019 bit!? lol
the part about E3 2019 was from the website's own report, the specs themselves were from the obviously fake reddit leak from last month. the website just confirmed SSD.

Deleted member 10234

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think you will have a 1 TB NVMe drive in the more expensive one either. I have one of those in my work thinkpad and it increased the price by like $500.
The price gouging by laptop manufacturers has no indication on the price of the component itself or the impact it would have on a console's price. You can get a 1TB NVMe drive for closer to $100 as a consumer, obviously for much less if you're Microsoft.