• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
I'll gladly buy Cuphead again if true, also Gears Tactics if that's what's coming to the switch.

Smiles

Oct 27, 2017
I'm the opposite here as an owner of all 3. If I can play Xbox games on my switch there's no reason to own the Xbox anymore.
I can see MS playing a timed exclusive game when it comes to gamepass and xcloud outside their own hardware so I am not so sure Switch only gamers will get everything day one or everything 100%

If they don't play favorites it would be a killer app

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
I know this is a complete pipe dream even if this rumor is true, but if Nintendo ever got to make new entries in old Rare properties I would just pass out!
I know it's not happening.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I can see MS playing a timed exclusive game when it comes to gamepass and xcloud outside their own hardware so I am not so sure Switch only gamers will get everything day one or everything 100%

If they don't play favorites it would be a killer app
Yeah that's true. I assumed if it's a game pass thing, then every first party Microsoft game would be available as it is on the the service already. I can't wait to see if all this comes true! What a crazy game changer.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This is nuts, I freakin' love it. It's a brilliant move on MS' part to help get their games more exposure in the Japanese market, and a great bonus for Nintendo.

Also it's a bummer if MS and Nintendo were planning on trying to keep this under-wraps until E3. Having this leak this far in advance has got to be a pain in the ass XD

Kaiwing

Oct 27, 2017
If this indeed comes to fruition, I can definitely see the smaller games like Ori, Cuphead, Killer Instict, and Sea of Thieves be offered for switch play and the rest of the Game Pass titles PC only. They are too huge GBwise for the switch and demand too much horsepower non-withstanding Doom and Wolfenstein which were dedicated retail releases. I don't know about stand alone Gears of War but I can dream.
What would Nintendo give up? The Nintendo Classics online app from Switch. They'll most likely let Xbox and PC gamers sign up $20 a year for NES games and the rumored SNES games plus Tetris 99. No way do any Nintendo current games come out on Xbox but Super Mario Bros 3? Yes, this totally happens if the rumors come true. Microsoft gets people to jump in their ecosystem with Game Pass and Nintendo devours the nostalgic gamers who for $20 a year can get NES games and more might say "Hey, I wonder how the new Zelda plays?" and get their Switch as a second system. Easy advertising and conversions for both.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
People need to stop seeing Xbox as a game console, and finally understand that it now is a PLATFORM.

Microsoft doesn't care if you play on an Xbox console, a PC, of now, possibly, on a Switch.They want you to buy and play their games, be it by direct sales or by the subscription model.

This is a total paradigm change. I understand that people here are reluctant to accept this kind of shift, but it's here to stay, and I believe it's going to make the industry better.

I agree.

I face palm when I still see people posting stuff like.

"Why do I need to buy an Xbox I've got a PC etc"m as if they'd figured out some great revelation

Like you said MS doesn't care where you play. Are you in their ecosystem? Yes. then they have your money and engagement.

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how they would handle Rare Replay, assuming it was one of those natively ported games. Maybe port everything up to the N64 games and have Kameo/Banjo N&B, etc streamed?

Wonder if this means stuff like Voodoo Vince or Blinx is on the table?

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Fable TLC and II on Switch would be cool.

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
People need to stop seeing Xbox as a game console, and finally understand that it now is a PLATFORM.

Microsoft doesn't care if you play on an Xbox console, a PC, of now, possibly, on a Switch.They want you to buy and play their games, be it by direct sales or by the subscription model.

This is a total paradigm change. I understand that people here are reluctant to accept this kind of shift, but it's here to stay, and I believe it's going to make the industry better.
Can't be stated enough.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder how they would handle Rare Replay, assuming it was one of those natively ported games. Maybe port everything up to the N64 games and have Kameo/Banjo N&B, etc streamed?

Wonder if this means stuff like Voodoo Vince or Blinx is on the table?
Voodoo Vince got a HD Remaster, right? its seem totally possible for me

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Damn. It looks like all those perfect for the Switch port begging people might be having the last laugh after all. I got Cuphead already on PC but i'll double dip for this single joycon local multiplayer (with lots of dying). These are some scary sounding rumors though. Microsoft is doing some weird shit right now lol. It makes sense because of this cloud thing, but it just sounds like its too much.

That said if you think about it, if everyone ends up buying game pass when they normally wouldn't have bought anything Xbox at all and it reaches a way wider audience w/ phones and all consoles, in theory, it would produce a lot of money. Like the Netflix of videogames kind of deal I guess.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Damn. It looks like all those perfect for the Switch port begging people might be having the last laugh after all. I got Cuphead already on PC but i'll double dip for this single joycon local multiplayer (with lots of dying). These are some scary sounding rumors though. Microsoft is doing some weird shit right now lol. It makes sense because of this cloud thing, but it just sounds like its too much.

That said if you think about it, if everyone ends up buying game pass when they normally wouldn't have bought anything Xbox at all and it reaches a way wider audience w/ phones and all consoles, in theory, it would produce a lot of money. Like the Netflix of videogames kind of deal I guess.
Microsoft is going all-in on the future of gaming. Let's just hope they weren't too early again.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft is going all-in on the future of gaming. Let's just hope they weren't too early again.

Yeah. They are definately trying to do some wild future stuff. It went too far on the Xbox One, but I think if they keep the core essentials while just adding a bunch of features instead of taking them away it'll end up a lot better. If anything, recently their service side of thing has been the best part about the Xbox One with the game pass and backward compatibility. Some really cool features w/ the Xbox app also help (I can stream my Switch with my Xbox and that's awesome lol).

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Also, if I expect a game from Switch on Xbox One as exchange... BOTW or Smash.

I HIGHLY doubt that Nintendo would give MS one of their games

Nintendo NEEDS their exclusive games to sell the Switch

MS doesn't because there are other reasons to buy an Xbox aside exclusives. Pretty much all 3rd party support, features, controller, most powerful hardware etc

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
If Nintendo gives Xbox a game in return, I would expect it to be a remake or remaster of some beloved old game of theirs like Link's Awakening or Metroid Prime Trilogy, not a brand-new exclusive. Anything else would be too much.

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

bottledfox

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Imagine Nintendo putting some of their older games on GamePass and being able to play them on PC, if not Xbox...

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine Nintendo putting some of their older games on GamePass and being able to play them on PC, if not Xbox...

Doubtful. Nintendo still has to pay their bills and make money selling video game consoles, they're not in a position to weaken their very own core business.

MS doesn't give a fuck because they're more interested in winning the streaming/war for the cloud, Nintendo has no such ambitions.

MS probably had to bend hard just to get Nintendo to allow XB branded streaming on the Switch alone, I doubt that negotiation was easy, asking for Nintendo games likely would've be a complete non-starter.

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
I agree.

I face palm when I still see people posting stuff like.

"Why do I need to buy an Xbox I've got a PC etc"m as if they'd figured out some great revelation

Like you said MS doesn't care where you play. Are you in their ecosystem? Yes. then they have your money and engagement.
Let them have their moment. They never passed or had a business class in high school or college, let them have this.

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
Doubt it's either of those. (Doubt its any at all) Splatoon 2 though! I wouldn't mind seeing! The console war Splatfests would be something to behold.
I mean tbh, out of all the Nintendo exclusives to maybe go multiplat I could it see it being smash. Has a lot of third party characters as it is, and imagine getting jago, arbiter and chief (arbiter can be a shadow character), banjo, and conker in smash. That would be the best selling thing to ever exist in the universe. It'd sell more than water. In reality though I think people are sleeping on the MS doing all the leg work and Nintendo doing nothing in this partnership. Gotta realize the Wii U almost bankrupted them, im sure something from them will end up aiding Xbox or something. I honestly think they'll help Nintendo with their online and their own streaming service, so maybe we can see legacy games like wind waker on a streaming service. That's just my prediction but hey, we're in a era where 2 of the big 3 are teaming up, at this point anything's possible.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what nintendo will give to microsoft

Older games? A best seller? Or...nothing? Haha

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Nintendo gives Xbox a game in return, I would expect it to be a remake or remaster of some beloved old game of theirs like Link's Awakening or Metroid Prime Trilogy, not a brand-new exclusive. Anything else would be too much.
They're not going to give them anything. Idk why this is an expectation. This a business move for MS to expand their brand. If they were to give anything to MS it'd only be Switch Online with NES/SNES games.

Oct 25, 2017
México
vD2T0KC.jpg

Thorzilla

Oct 28, 2017
Makes me wonder though...do you guys think we'll be getting some Xbox Game Pass-ish service from Nintendo on Xbox? Maybe some Ninty games on Xbox?

Other than that, if this turns out to be true, I wouldn't be surprised if MS's characters begin popping up in some Nintendo franchises, such as Smash and the like.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
If people think steam sales was devaluing games just wait until Gamepass and streaming catches on. After people get used to getting piles of games for a fixed sub most are never gonna want to pay 60$ for a game again.
Sigh, there's potentially a very dark future ahead for the gaming industry for those of us who care about ownership and preserving games.